Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Me and My Tilton love hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ifarted2
I just wanted to give ya guys some feedback on the frustrations ive gone thru with my Tilon carbon clutch.

Positives:
1) I can no lift shift
2) Transmission syncros love it
3) Will take beating from 4wheel burnouts and lots of slippage off the line.
4) There are no springs so you wont pop them out from fast shifting and high rpms

Cons:
1) I'm on my 3rd rebuild last one cost me $700 and Tilton said after this one wears the clutch is done which will cost me a crap load for a new one
2) Do not daily drive this clutch as it will wear out very fast
3) Do not drive it up a trailer use a winch to pull ya up as it will wear the plates.
4) Do not hot lap the car after each drag race give it some time to cool down.
5) The plates are 7.25" in size so it allows you to shift fast and less inertia on the transmission but the plates will wear faster than lets say a 9" rps carbon carbon.

I did heat the clutch up so hot that i melted the rear main seal and boiled the plating off the pressure plate. I also turned the input shaft on my transmission black and blue! So we put in the evo 9 first gear and input shaft. Tilton said they had only seen on of there clutches do that and it was in a Baja sand truck stuck in the sand. Also all the guys at Tilton were awesome to deal with and took care of everything i asked for plus ship me the clutch overnight so we could race this last weekend

I couldn't have wrote this better myself

Congrats on the 9!!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

How many street miles are we talking about before you kill it? Ex. 40 passes and 500 miles?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've spoken with well known racers who have gone all season on a Tilton carbon/carbon, and when they pulled it at the end of the season it was still fine.

I'm wondering what exactly it is about yours that yields different results, or maybe it's in the technique?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
theres a tilton ceremetallic with an upgraded pressure plate that is rated at 840 lbs of tq and its under 2000$. We have 3 on order right now going on PT6776 cars so we'll see how those hold up
If they are drag racing like i am the ceramic will not hold up according to Greg and Kirt at Tilton due to heat.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thats why you get a carbonetics and dont have to worry about your clutch that much.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
I've spoken with well known racers who have gone all season on a Tilton carbon/carbon, and when they pulled it at the end of the season it was still fine.

I'm wondering what exactly it is about yours that yields different results, or maybe it's in the technique?
Yes i agree with you and if i would have known what i know now i could have cut my wear and tear in half But Greg did say he has seen 8 sec Supras that have gone a full season with little wear.
1. I don't see a 8 sec Supra running Friday,Sat and Sunday like i am ive have averaged about 40-50 passes each weekend

2. He did say that the Evo is by far the hardest on there clutches they have seen so far. He told me they wish they could have done 3 carbon plates but there just is not any room.

Last edited by Paul Nelson; Jun 4, 2007 at 08:13 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Thats why you get a carbonetics and dont have to worry about your clutch that much.
The only problem with that clutch is metal on carbon. The carbon will will warp the metal plates. Ive heard that Shep, Buschur and alot of others have switched to this clutch because it allows you to shift as fast as you want with no problems. Ive revved to 9800rpms at 40psi and shifted with no grind or lockouts
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

And I thought I had clutch problems! Hope my new triple exedy cermetallic holds up for awhile......

Great write up!
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Dam better be easy on mine, I haven't got to abuse it like you did
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

I could have gotten a dog box from shep by the time im done with this clutch!
I have a sequential shifter at my shop wait for the dog box now its just convincing the wife and getting her to agree that i need it
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
Dam better be easy on mine, I haven't got to abuse it like you did
I think once ya get your evo back your going to drive it everyday and may even find a way to sleep with it. Just make sure you clean up the mess man! Black shows everything
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
And I thought the tilton would hold up to the abuse.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Crazyy!! talking about a clutch i need one! lol
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Most other Twins and tripples will never shift as fast as the Tilton. We could have saved our selfes some carnage and $$$$$ if we know how much it really cost of fix this clutch if we are stupid with it. When buying it evey one said $200 to rebuild and $800 if you really abuse it not $2700 if you really abuse it.

Even when we took it out last with the black and blue input shaft the disc looked fine just a gold colored PP cover and flat fingers with no spring left.

I think a Exedy tripple ceramic and dog box might be a cheeper option for people like Paul who what to race 100+ passes pre month and drive the car alot on the street.

For cars with out N2O on a 67mm or bigger, 4 wheel slicks on a 2.0 you really have to ride the clutch out to keep her in boost with out bogging. I know most ceramic twins we would put to much heat to them and warp or crack plates.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 10:57 PM

on tilton parts, never had the chance to run a triple carbon but i love the ceramic twins easy year of usage out of them on the fwd's. Love the car by the way

Quick Reply: Me and My Tilton love hate relationship