Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Me and My Tilton love hate relationship

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 06:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you describe a tilton to a T but i have to make one suggestion.. your pedal stop is not adjusted correctly. if it is adjusted correctly all the cons will go away. i have 40k miles on my tilton in my supra, run one lap of america with it. beat the **** out of it and love it.... ive had it rebuilt 1 time. it slipped do to over pushing the springs (no pedal stop) had it rebuilt threw it back in and went and did one lap. i didnt put a pedal stop in. and KILLED the hydralic release bearing... dead.... my fault again... once the clutch is ingaged you should have 1/2 to 3/4 of inch more travel TOPS

tiltons are great. just make sure the pedal stop is setup properly and check the wear on it. maybe once every 3 months or 6 depending on driving. also if it slips park it.... a tow bill 1k miles away will cost less that just slipping it home... trust me .
Old Jun 5, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
you describe a tilton to a T but i have to make one suggestion.. your pedal stop is not adjusted correctly. if it is adjusted correctly all the cons will go away. i have 40k miles on my tilton in my supra, run one lap of america with it. beat the **** out of it and love it.... ive had it rebuilt 1 time. it slipped do to over pushing the springs (no pedal stop) had it rebuilt threw it back in and went and did one lap. i didnt put a pedal stop in. and KILLED the hydralic release bearing... dead.... my fault again... once the clutch is ingaged you should have 1/2 to 3/4 of inch more travel TOPS

tiltons are great. just make sure the pedal stop is setup properly and check the wear on it. maybe once every 3 months or 6 depending on driving. also if it slips park it.... a tow bill 1k miles away will cost less that just slipping it home... trust me .
we have it set that way with the stop still there. My mechanic has me with 3/4" play but i adjusted it higher so i wouldn't bog the car so much. But after talking with Tilton they said that would be fine as long as the stop was in place. They said adjusting the rod wouldn't not hurt anything
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:44 AM
Former Sponsor

so after the clutch ingages it will only travel 3/4" till the pedal stops?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

yes sir
Old Jun 5, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
We have it set up right. It lost the spring from so much heat buy leting it slip to much when we should have pulled it and rebuilt it.

I think a little bit of wheel spin from Civic or Supra helps clutch life 10X.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
ifarted, post #22, is misinformation. Shepherd nor myself have gone to the carbonetics clutch.

We have three cars here with Tiltons in them, all of them quicker/faster than your car (no offense intended by that statement) and we have not had to repair/rebuild any of those three clutches. We do not make 40-50 runs in a weekend............don't know anyone that actually does, maybe you do.

My RS has performed flawlessly and I would say the Tilton is worth every single cent as it is the only clutch I have had that has lasted this long.

Our black car that has gone 8.95 at 164 mph still has the first Tilton in it we bought and it has never been touched, has performed flawlessly.

My brothers car, which only has a few passes on it and few miles, has gone 9.84 at 146, also working flawlessly although, only a few passes and few miles.

Anyway, nothing but good things to say about the Tilton, except the price tag
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dave, how many street miles do you figure your car has on the Tilton? and what 10 or so drag passes?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Engages or disengages? Are you saying that when you push it in to the point that the clutch lets go, you should only have 3/4" until it hits the stop?
Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
ifarted, post #22, is misinformation. Shepherd nor myself have gone to the carbonetics clutch.

We have three cars here with Tiltons in them, all of them quicker/faster than your car (no offense intended by that statement) and we have not had to repair/rebuild any of those three clutches. We do not make 40-50 runs in a weekend............don't know anyone that actually does, maybe you do.

My RS has performed flawlessly and I would say the Tilton is worth every single cent as it is the only clutch I have had that has lasted this long.

Our black car that has gone 8.95 at 164 mph still has the first Tilton in it we bought and it has never been touched, has performed flawlessly.

My brothers car, which only has a few passes on it and few miles, has gone 9.84 at 146, also working flawlessly although, only a few passes and few miles.

Anyway, nothing but good things to say about the Tilton, except the price tag
1) I was meaning the Tilton not Carbonetics
2) David im not a shop im just a evo owner that has a love to drag race and yes yours same setups run faster but not by much. Is it my goal to look at the big shops times and try to beat them or come close. Of course thats just the kind of person i am in anything i do.
3) When i had talked to Nick he had told me you guys ran the Exedy Triple and got about 20-25 passes before a rebuild. Than Tilton gave me a run down of some of the shops running there clutches.
4) I do run 40 times plus on a weekend but im also going thru my learning curve but as you can see after alot of practice im getting better.
5)Your big drag car see how many passes a year? Plus from your posting you guys have awesome drivers who make what 4-5 passes a month.

I would love to keep this thread drama free if possible.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want it to be drama free to I would like a clear path before spending 3K+ on a clutch.

Exedy Triple vs Tilton twin carbon? 200-400 miles a month street and 4-6 passes at the track.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:17 AM
Account Disabled

I don't think anyone on here is as active as Paul is when it comes drag racing, not even some of the shops. He might not be as fast as some of the guys on here but he also doesn't do this for a living. Anyways.. props to ya Paul and keep throwing those vids up the faster you go so they cant say anything.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Paul is at the track each day it is open for dragracing. Usually that is atleast Friday and Saturday night and if Woodburn is open he usually goes there atleast Sunday sometimes Saturday. The man is crazy about racing.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry, was not trying to make any drama, just saying what I thought of the Tilton.

I have no desire to ruin your thread, that was not my intention.

Good bye.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Sorry, was not trying to make any drama, just saying what I thought of the Tilton.

I have no desire to ruin your thread, that was not my intention.

Good bye.
David i come across the wrong way sometimes when i type. I value any input you put up So i apologize for coming across the wrong way

I think ive put more abuse on the Tilton than anyone else ever has.Its a awesome clutch and i will keep running it. I just wish i knew what i do now but hey thats part of the process!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so what kind of miles before a rebuild with the cerametalic and a few passes every now and then, anybody??

Quick Reply: Me and My Tilton love hate relationship