Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lancer Evolution Exhaust Cutout????

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Saw it tonight on a site, foreget which one though.
Sorry, but I did think of you when I saw it.
The vendor that has it is on this boeard somewhere.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...nPipe-US.shtml
Old Jun 24, 2003, 09:18 AM
Account Disabled

Oh I knwo where that link is, I just wish they gave me a Pic of teh EVO VII setup offered, that is all.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

Wouldnt the bottom of your car look all black and dirty?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:40 PM
Account Disabled

Well considering my exhaust is black now I figure what to I got to lose?

he kit does in fact point strait to teh ground so it may be ok, certainly will make power though, and at teh flip of a swithc, I am quiet once again
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:58 PM
Evolving Member

This is an interesting alternative. Has anyone done it that can give us a sound clip of opening and closing the system? I would think i'd be pretty hard to stop leaks? I want to hear it on an evo 8 stat

Jeff
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:20 PM

hasn't any one figured the exhaust flow of your exhaust system...

won't most of the exhaust fumes keep flow through the stock path instead of suddenly turning and going out of it's way through the downpipe.

and when it is CLOSED...won't the exhaust fumes that make it in there bounce back, which always hinders performance...
being that this is on the downpipe, it is hooked up real close to the exhaust manifold > thus the exhaust valves...and won't this run the risk of some exhaust fumes getting back in the combustion chamber, which will result in a performance lost (especially on a supercharged car)???

Just some thoughts on this...I hope that it does really work, but I'd like to have these points proven wrong to me first...
Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by whocares
hasn't any one figured the exhaust flow of your exhaust system...

won't most of the exhaust fumes keep flow through the stock path instead of suddenly turning and going out of it's way through the downpipe.

That is not a problem really, it is the path of least resistance it will prefer to take.

and when it is CLOSED...won't the exhaust fumes that make it in there bounce back, which always hinders performance...

Yes, I agree 100% on that one, nothing else to say really.

being that this is on the downpipe, it is hooked up real close to the exhaust manifold > thus the exhaust valves...and won't this run the risk of some exhaust fumes getting back in the combustion chamber, which will result in a performance lost (especially on a supercharged car)???

IMO it will more likely cause disprution to the turbine and slow it down. Obviously hurting the performance. Ultimately this can also cause the exhaust gas reversion pre-turbo.

Just some thoughts on this...I hope that it does really work, but I'd like to have these points proven wrong to me first...
Old Oct 22, 2003, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Seems that the more perfect setup here would be to have the shutoff "valve", if you will, right at the split in the two pipes instead of downstream of the short pipe.

I see what was mentioned above about a performance hinderance when the pipe is closed. Although, you could probably slightly open the "valve" and this not be an issue.

Damn nice idea, I guess it all depends on what you want.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

If the valve itself were placed on the side of the end of the downpipe, right before the flange, and the exit pipe from the valve extended out a few inches with an angled tip towards the ground, I could see that working pretty well without causing too much disruption in the exhaust flow upon close.

Also the open/close process (I would hope) would take optimally 1-2 seconds so that it's a feathered change from open/close, rather than a quick change in flow.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 09:59 AM
Account Disabled

The Best way to do this, as I have seen, is a strait 3.0 dump right off the turbo, and the pipe exits out the side of the car, once slose it is routed through a stock exhaust. Seen it on Cheesfrogs Civic, NASTY setup and he traps at over 130MPH.
Old Oct 22, 2003, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

UR told me they aren't going to make one for an Evo because they haven't found a valve that doesn't leak. It is just oo loud. Unfortunately that is the nature of that type of valve. If you used a manual cutout(wwhere you have to get under the car to open it) it wouldn't leak, but it is probably hard to find a electronic valve that doesn't leak. I know of a guy with a GVR4 that has one that doesn't leak, but I don't know the brand.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

I know this is an old thread, but interesting.

I tryed running my evo with an open dp.

It was loud but fun. I could really feel a difference.

That ultimate dp exhaust cutout looks interesting.

Last edited by Spec'd; Jul 20, 2005 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolving Member

WOW way to bring back the dead... I and a few others run ecutouts on their cars. The difference between open and closed is HUGE, and it sounds mean as hell . I get all kinds of looks :-D
Old Jul 20, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by umiami80
It is allready manufactured, it isn't as long as the "HONDA" setup (notice I didn't say S2000?). It works VERY similar to cheesefrogs setup only it has a 3.0 Downpipe and then it dumps it srteatue down off the turbo instead of going back aways. It is already made, I will get pics as soon I as I get them, I really like this setup, I like keeping the stock exhaust too, so stealth.
Jeg's has a $30 cutout like this that someone on this site already uses. Who is it that does it? Speak up now! =P

Quick Reply: Lancer Evolution Exhaust Cutout????