Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnaflow TBE vs. Buschur TBE with Magnaflow Muffler

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Magnaflow Street cat back vs. Buschur cat back with Magnaflow Muffler

Hey guys,
I've done some searching and can't seem to find what the differences are between these two systems besides the fact that the Magnaflow Street cat back has a taper to mate up to the stock cat.

Do any of you have dyno sheets showing max gains with the
1. Buschur cat back + Magnaflow muffler?
2. Magnaflow Street cat back?

From my research, it sounds like the magnaflow is as quiet as stock, which makes me wonder about real gain versus the pronounced gains the Buschur system has been proven to make.

The MAIN reason I'm asking ANY of this is because the Buschur system is at $450-470 depending on the addition of the cat taper (and their magnaflow muffler has a disclaimer that it rusts?) versus the Magnaflow Street cat back system which seems to be around $395 shipped currently (100,000 mile rust protection as well).

Any info on those that own either would be greatly appreciated before I make this purchase.

Last edited by shivaswrath; Jun 5, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

my uneducated guess would be the magnaflow is quieter because of the taper and it uses the stock cat. but im sure the buschur isnt much louder, and without the taper, flows better. i have heard a few of the buschurs in person and its not loud. no louder than my perrin at least ( i think my perrin uses a rebadged magnaflow muffler?)
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shivas, you wrote TBE in your title and in the thread, but you're only talking about cat-backs. A TBE by definition is the entire exhaust, which includes a downpipe and replaces the cat, so no TBE mates to the stock cat. What you're comparing here are cat-backs.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Shivas, you wrote TBE in your title and in the thread, but you're only talking about cat-backs. A TBE by definition is the entire exhaust, which includes a downpipe and replaces the cat, so no TBE mates to the stock cat. What you're comparing here are cat-backs.
corrected, thanks for pointing that brain fart out!
Old Jun 5, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

My friend has the magnaflow exhaust and I have a buschur SCCA w/ magnaflow muffler.

The magnaflow has more drone on the highway, and with the stock cat I think the magnaflow is a tick louder in all areas. They both bolt to the stock cat and both sound really good...nice and deep. The magnaflow was a little more tricky to install because it was 3 pieces with slip fit section and getting it lined up was somewhat of a pita, it took both of us....My buschur was a breeze with a slip fit 2 piece exhaust and I installed it myself with no issues.

As far as power I dont know....but I like my buschur exhaust a lot better than his magnaflow
Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

From my v-dub days the magnaflow was the shizznik to get. As for the rust protection I believe its only for the exhaust canister and not the piping itself.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just our catback should pick up a good 15whp or so. Our full 3" TBE is good for 25-30whp. I can not vouch for the actual Magnaflow system as we have never used it, tested it or installed it here.

That is correct about the muffler. It is not as high of a grade of stainless as our tubing. The muffler itself has been known to rust and probably will. Our tubing does not.

The only thing that is Magnaflow in our catback / TBE is the muffler. The rest is all our design. We design the tubing, tip, etc...

The SCCA catback that we offer is the same 3" catback as the other but it has a flange to adapt to the stock cat or other flanged off-road pipe or highflow cat. Our tubing is FULL TRUE 3" 304 stainless. Our catback weighs in at only 16lbs.

If you are going to stick with the stock cat I would honestly recommend going with our Bullet muffler. It is 4.6lbs lighter than the magnaflow muffler and it also flows better. It also will NOT rust.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Take care!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:44 AM
Evolved Member

HMm I have the Magnaflow "street" cat-back on my Evo. I live in England and if something was going to rust, it would do it here!

The cat-back has only two slip fit connections and if that gives you trouble... I don't know what to tell you. I found it very easy to get it right where I wanted it.

Absolutely not a visible spec of rust on it anywhere.

Make sure you use some exhaust paste on the slip fit joints to ensure a tight seal.

The street version IS as quiet as stock. It doesn't drone. It has a very deep sound. If I have the windows up its very quiet.

I have removed the neck-down to mate up to a DC down pipe but I have yet to reinstall everything. I am curious to see if it gets much louder.

If you want to remove the neckdown get this:
http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...7&cat=1&page=3

Just keep in mind I dont have a vested interest on what exhaust you buy... if you know what I mean.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bonestock!
HMm I have the Magnaflow "street" cat-back on my Evo. I live in England and if something was going to rust, it would do it here!

The cat-back has only two slip fit connections and if that gives you trouble... I don't know what to tell you. I found it very easy to get it right where I wanted it.

Absolutely not a visible spec of rust on it anywhere.

Make sure you use some exhaust paste on the slip fit joints to ensure a tight seal.

The street version IS as quiet as stock. It doesn't drone. It has a very deep sound. If I have the windows up its very quiet.

I have removed the neck-down to mate up to a DC down pipe but I have yet to reinstall everything. I am curious to see if it gets much louder.

If you want to remove the neckdown get this:
http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...7&cat=1&page=3

Just keep in mind I dont have a vested interest on what exhaust you buy... if you know what I mean.
I don't suppose you can give some input on power gains? butt dyno or real dyno. . .any ideas? thanks for the opinions, no drone is a +++ for me!
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did forget to add that our magnaflow catback or turboback does not drone.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
I don't suppose you can give some input on power gains? butt dyno or real dyno. . .any ideas? thanks for the opinions, no drone is a +++ for me!

I could feel a noticable difference with just the catback. Cant help you with dyno numbers as my car has never been on one. You could buy one of those ebay TBE's for the price of this catback but that wasnt even a consideration for me. I want a muffler not a fart can.