Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what's the + & - of the 6 speed MR trans?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 11:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by hondafan
i don't know, i tried some redline for a few hundred miles and it shifted like crap. noticeably worse than the stock fluid. then i researched a bit and found this, and it shifts better than the oem fluid, especially when it's cold, never grinds. i do race some, just not road race, so no exteme heat yet. but i still think this fluid could be a + to use in the 6-speed due to what oems use it for and that it's an exact equivilent to the super-multi gear.
the real test of whether a fluid is good is by draining it after a few thousand miles. if fluid comes out clear you are in good shape. if it comes out dark that is bad news. gear wear darkens the fluid.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went through two in a row on factory fluids at trackdays(road racing - not 1/4mile stuff). this was on a mild tune(275whp). both were warped 3/4 sliders. first one died during my second session at t-hill.
we thought it might have been due to low mileage and possibly not being fully broken in(around 1K miles). had it rebuilt and reinstalled. ran it for 3k just to make sure it had some miles in it then ran it at laguna. the second one started going out in the last session. that was it, had it rebuilt and then bought a shep 5-speed and did the swap.

there are quite a few people that run 6-speeds at the track with no problems so you might be just fine, but for me it didn't work out so well.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Put this in your tranny. Here is my review.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
but is it strong can it take abuse?
yes it can
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kodiak
Put this in your tranny. Here is my review.
You don't have an MR. What may work in the 5-speed doesn't necessarily translate as an ideal fluid for the 6-speed. Non-oem fluids don't have the best track record with the temperamental 6-speed (puns are awesome).
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
You don't have an MR. What may work in the 5-speed doesn't necessarily translate as an ideal fluid for the 6-speed. Non-oem fluids don't have the best track record with the temperamental 6-speed (puns are awesome).
I double checked you can run that in the 5 or the 6 speed. There seems to be consensus that the 4th gear is weak in the 6 speed @ least for racing applications.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just don't get why people don't understand in the owners manual it says to use the factory fill or an EXACT EQUIVILENT ONLY. this is the only time it says exact equivilent for any drivetrain part, the 6-speed. and it's probrably not a coincidence that the ones breaking are most often running non-oem or exact equivilent fluids. no where have i seen a redline product period that is 75-85 GL-4.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for the info guys! i really don't know if i want the 6 speed now?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hondafan
i just don't get why people don't understand in the owners manual it says to use the factory fill or an EXACT EQUIVILENT ONLY. this is the only time it says exact equivilent for any drivetrain part, the 6-speed. and it's probrably not a coincidence that the ones breaking are most often running non-oem or exact equivilent fluids. no where have i seen a redline product period that is 75-85 GL-4.

Because most people failed to read their owner's manual.

Come on people, read that sheite. It might even keep you out of trouble.

Got a 6 speed? It's rated for only 290ft.lbs of torque. Use the factory recommended oil.

Jon@TRE
Old Jun 6, 2007, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I double checked you can run that in the 5 or the 6 speed.
Double checked with whom? The engineers at Aisin who designed it?

Hey guys, it's all clear! That guy on the internet double checked! lol

I'll stick to OEM.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Exciting News
Double checked with whom? The engineers at Aisin who designed it?

Hey guys, it's all clear! That guy on the internet double checked! lol

I'll stick to OEM.
How about from ppl who race and test Evo's almost daily. http://www.competitionassociates.com/.

I don't need to defend myself against you I was just offering some advice that this guy ask for.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 08:18 AM

The 6 speed is great unless you make more than 450 whp. They are not as strong. I have a 2006 MR with 6000 miles on it and the tranny just went out. I never even got it to the track. The trans is fine for most cars. If you are going to do the basic mods it will be fine.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

How about from ppl who race and test Evo's almost daily. http://www.competitionassociates.com/.

I don't need to defend myself against you I was just offering some advice that this guy ask for.
They dont use a six speed. Please refrain from posting in 6 speed threads to keep people from grenading their trannys because you recommend red line oil. Thanks and have a good day!

Theres a 30 page thread on what fluid to use in the 6 speed to keep heat down. Search. Heat is the enemy of gears 4-6. Plain and simple. You need a THIN (read that Kodiak? Not a shockproof) fluid that protects from heat well. There is a reason why the six speed uses a different fluid then the 5 speed does. Its a bit thinner. Use an exact equivalent or super diaqueen ONLY.
Old Jun 7, 2007, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hondafan - i tried the Syntorq LT as recommended by Altavlet (sp).. I didnt like the shifting quality so I went back to oem Diaqueen.

94AWDCoupe - my tranny has been draining clean but when I drain my TC its always black as night... I fill that sucker full too and check it many times before calling it good. The TC sounds very good, ie - doesnt sound like my 03 did, so I was wondering if your rule of thumb goes for the TC too..
Old Jun 7, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
hondafan - i tried the Syntorq LT as recommended by Altavlet (sp).. I didnt like the shifting quality so I went back to oem Diaqueen.

weird. i think it shifts much better than the factory fill, especially when cold.

Quick Reply: what's the + & - of the 6 speed MR trans?