Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what's the + & - of the 6 speed MR trans?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 6 speed MR is very strong. I have used the hammer to hit it so many time but it is still working. :-0
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
the real test of whether a fluid is good is by draining it after a few thousand miles. if fluid comes out clear you are in good shape. if it comes out dark that is bad news. gear wear darkens the fluid.
Well, the MOPAR fluid is clear out of the bottle...like 7up clear. Looks pretty clear coming out, without noticeable metal content (unlike the TC, where the fluid is pretty magnetized). After a recommendation from hondafan, I have been using this fluid too after I was less than impressed with the BG2. I have only been using this fluid in my car since...no more grinds like the stock fluid does. I also noticed that the fluid is best if you change it out every 6-8000 miles, but I have gone 10 on the present stuff with no problems.

Last edited by Erik@MIL.SPEC; Jun 11, 2007 at 10:47 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 10:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by boostedwrx
hondafan - i tried the Syntorq LT as recommended by Altavlet (sp).. I didnt like the shifting quality so I went back to oem Diaqueen.

94AWDCoupe - my tranny has been draining clean but when I drain my TC its always black as night... I fill that sucker full too and check it many times before calling it good. The TC sounds very good, ie - doesnt sound like my 03 did, so I was wondering if your rule of thumb goes for the TC too..
I have started running Redline Heavyweight Shockproof in my TC as I was unhappy with the factory stuff (too much metal in the fluid...fluid would change direction and pull towards the magnetic drain plug when you held the plug next to the fluid as it came out).

And it was weird with your experience with the MOPAR. I really like it.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackonblackevo
How do you know that?
simply get under a 5-speed and then under a 6 and you'll see what i mean. the 6-speed case is noticeably bulkier with external cooling fins on the bellhousing, not to mention they use different shift selectors and cables(6-speed ones are teflon coated, probrably why the 6 shifts a bit smoother) and driver's side mount, and have 10mm female hex bolts for fill/drain plugs. also, that's the reason why the tilton twin-plate won't work on a 6-speed, it's missing a bolt hole inside the bellhousing that is on the 5-speed.

Last edited by hondafan; Jun 11, 2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow some nice info anymore
Old Jun 15, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by phillytec
Mr is a bettter car over all. I love my 6 speed. but your taking a risk doing track days.
While I'm no professional, I think if you're taking a car to the track you need to have it ready for such conditions regardless of what you have. Could you take a 5 speed off the lot and push it on a track for 3 hours under the blazing hot sun? Sure, but I really wouldn't recommend it, at least not without taking a few things into consideration.

Personally I wish people would consider what they really want the car for. Think about it--are you really going to go for 450+ whp? Are you really going to be out on a track for hours on end? I know we all love to think that when we buy our cars; we all get delusions of grandeur and of building the strongest one imaginable, so naturally we don't want to hear about any weaknesses. Truth is, the majority of people I've talked to never even come close to 400whp. I have a Buschur stage 1 on the way (WOO!) and hope to work on a few more things, but I never expected to throw down the money it takes to build up a 600hp beast. I knew what I wanted the car for, I knew my driving style, and that's what I went with.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not saying there aren't some seriously built-up Evos out there. Take a look around and you'll see people building some pretty incredible rides, but with that typically comes an upgraded tranny no matter what they started with; it's just common sense.

That said, and to stay on topic, what do I feel are the benefits of the 6 speed? Having owned a 5 speed for three years (different car entirely) I enjoy having that extra gear when I'm doing some spirited driving through some twisty roads. It's great to be able to accelerate nice and hard while in 5th, then push it into 6th to run smooth without the engine screaming at me. And besides, the Evo is made for those kinds of courses. If you want to drag get a car that's designed for it! I'd love a nice 1970 Challenger to work on if anyone wants to donate one
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea the 6speed has cooling fins, almost heatsink-like. Must be a big CPU in there somewhere hehe..
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I noticed for daily driving, The 6 SP shift much smother. None of the chunkyness of the 5 sp.

But I wanna track and the 6 sp horror stories scaried me enough to keep my GSR.