Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Injen intake vs. stock box vs. ic pipes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen intake vs. stock box vs. ic pipes

I am trying to figure out my next mod for my IX. Right now I have a 3" tbe, Works drop-in, and boost gauge. I am a tune and MBC away from being Stage 1. I have ordered my Forge mbc and am in the process of scheduling my tune. I would like to order another mod or two before I get tuned so that I don't have to go back. I was thinking about replacing the ic pipes. The lic pipes that I am looking at are $200+. Upper about the same. Most require a mini battery which I don't want to have to do. Thats why I am considering the Injen intake ($380) with all of the ic piping that doesn't need a mini battery. I know that the stock intake box is efficient and reliable for a ton of power. I just need some advise as to what mod whould produce the best results into stage 2.

1. Should I get the Injen intake w/ ic pipes? Looks nice, good sound, r&d, and fitment. $380! Saves money over option #3. whp?

2. Keep the stock intake box w/ drop-in and just add a licp? Cheapest option. Should see maybe 10 whp?

3. Keep the stock intake box w/ drop-in, add licp and uicp that retains stock battery and stock box? (any suggestions on uicp that fits description)

4. Would an o2 housing be a better mod instead?

What route would you guys do next if you could only choose one?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by groove304; Jun 6, 2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

The less bends on the uicp the better. Its more of a bling factor if you're just going to keep the stock airbox and stock battery. I'm currently running the stock airbox w/a Works dropin as well and stock uicp w/my Evogreen setup. My suggestion would port/coat the stock exhaust mani through Buschur, grab a decent licp, and if you got extra money laying around, grab a ss o2 housing.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

I appreciate your advise. Especially because I am planning to go the same route as you with the green turbo. Sounds like you are keeping it simple. I know that the uicp is kind of a bling factor. It's just that the Injen intake kit is so cheap for all the parts you get with it.

You think porting and coating the exhaust manifold is a good next step? I would think it's not necessary yet, but will be a good mod later.

LICP and o2 housing sounds good. That would run me about $400 depending if I got it coated.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

I think the exhaust mani is a great deal. Plus if you get the o2 housing you might as well get it coated at the same time you're getting the mani done.

Nisei licp go for round 139 i believe, i got the 1018 model. Has the stock bracket like the stock licp for ease of installation. Grab an o2 housing from a reputable ebay vendor as well. Should be round 60bucks.

All that together would still let you have some money to spend elsewhere. My setup is pretty simple. Want to get some runs done at the track to see if i really need to purchase a 65mm TB and port/coat my intake mani. We'll see though. Good luck w/the build as well.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

I got the injen intake w/ upper and lower IC pipes and intake and it really makes a difference. but its up 2 u. it also looks good. lol but a ported manifold is good. only reason i didnt get that is b/c im saving up for an AMS one.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the injen intercooler pipe set with a HKS R/S intake, and stock battery. The pipes made a pretty good difference in spool and power. They are a knock off of the Kansai IC pipes btw. The o2 housing is also a good mod to have for spool and response, and pretty cheap. Look at the ebay o2, you can't go wrong for the price ($70)
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with the SS (Ebay or Megan Racing) O2 housing for a gain of roughly 10whp/wtq and better spool-up. The LICP (Nisei) did absolutely nothing for me - no power gained or noticeable increase in spool-up as was expected.

Be careful about doing mods that have NOT been dyno proven to give results... UICP is also pretty much a waste.

At your power level, I'd recommend the O2 housing, and possibly an open air/cone air filter BEFORE the tune.

IMO, ignore the arguement about "the stock airbox is good up to 400whp". There are Evo IX's running 11's with stock catbacks too, but that doesn't mean more power couldn't be had with an upgraded part with more flow. Cone air filters and the ARC induction box/intake have both been proven to make anywhere from 9-15whp over the stock airbox.

Good luck!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

Does it lose any down low trottle response? Maybe I can have my tuner do a before and after comparison, stock box vs. Injen kit?
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

UICP should be one of your last mods. LICP should be somewhere in the middle. My theory on the UICP is that it will do little to nothing unless you get a GOOD ONE. By good one I mean straight one, which requires a mini battery. Now some people are cheap and dont want to spend the money on the mini batter. OK. However, for the SPACE it saves, the WEIGHT it saves, and the allowance of a good performing UICP (thats also asthetically pleasing), its well worth it. Ive had my Nisei mini battery for almost 2 years and over 50,000 miles. Frozen temperature starts all winter long. Definitely reccomend it. Here is my engine bay. Look at the extra space! The UICP pipe saves bends, cuts overall length and opens up some diameter and it looks great!

Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

^^ Ahh. Your just showing off one of the nicest engine bays I have seen... I ordered the blue radiator hoses. By the way, where did you get the coolant reseviour? Thanks for the advise and visual reference.

About the mini battery: All valed points, but to me it seems like a downgrade. You have to pay for the smaller less efficient battery. Anyone want to trade!

The real point of my thread is not whether or not a uicp is worth it. If you had those 4 choices, which mod would you do before the tune? I'm gonna start a poll...
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely 02 housing, then LICP. The coolant overflow tank is made by JM Fabrications, so is my spark plug cover.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

That seems to be the consensus. How do I turn this thread into a poll? I couldn't figure it out.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Dude you dont need to turn it into a poll. The answer is right there for you. When you have a couple respected members telling you what to do, you dont need a poll that will have a bunch of noobs or clowns vote on it who have no idea what theyre takling about.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
please, split the $200 you were gonna spend on the UICP with me, and we'll both be $100 richer...

Seriously, forget about the UICP. Looking back, I feel the LICP might be a wash as well.

O2 housing and possibly an intake - search regarding results of these. Good luck!
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

True. I just can't get over the fact that I can get an intake and all IC piping for $370. If I get the licp, uicp, and mini battery kit seperatly I will be spending about $600. I just want to do it right the first time. Seems like the o2 housing will be the best gains though. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Injen intake vs. stock box vs. ic pipes