Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Green Dyno Sheet on 05 Evo with minimal mods

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10-second passes and 130 traps with the proper parts and tune/gas is all i need to know about the turbo's potential
Old Jun 8, 2007, 02:52 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Al or Zeus1, does this turbo have the stock or high pressure WG actuator?
Old Jun 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think running E85 would be a PITA. The need for bigger injectors, various tunes for different seasons, lack of availablity, lack of overall vehicle range on a tank of fuel, and price hikes that match pump gas don't appeal to me at all.

I don't want to sound like I'm hating on the green but that turbo doesn't appeal to me much either. Sure there are a few guys that are running 10s with them but that is a full on drag race tune with a shart ton of mods. If drag racing is their game I feel they have made the wrong choice.

Ask yourself.... in what area does the green really shine? Any answer is going to be convoluted but I think it may or may not be better for open track and that is if its has a kick **** tune and is run on race gas. On pump the 50 trim would be a better choice. For drag racing there are tons of better turbos and lets not forget nitrous which is really the best bang for buck. I also highly doubt the Green would be good for auto-x action as the increased lag and assoicated points would be a set back.

I have an open track **** of an evo but I dont think I would gain much going to the green especially on the stock ECU. It may make more power on the dyno but that's under a crap load of boost which most people don't feel comfortable with running for 30 minutes straight.

I know I'll take heat for this post. I expect it but I wont start a post war about it as its just my opinion. I know the green is a bolt on upgrade of 30-40whp given the right parts and tune but it simply doesn't make sense for most folks.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan678
Sorry to Hi-jack but...

Other than the 18lbs actuator, what else can i do to combat the taper/lack of power being mentioned by some???

The solution is simple, get a bigger turbo. That chart clearly shows the turbo playa-hatin' your boost levels.

IMO, both this and the original post are good illustrations of mismatched components. As the saying goes ... YMMV.

l8r)
Old Jun 8, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Ask yourself.... in what area does the green really shine? Any answer is going to be convoluted but I think it may or may not be better for open track and that is if its has a kick **** tune and is run on race gas. On pump the 50 trim would be a better choice. For drag racing there are tons of better turbos and lets not forget nitrous which is really the best bang for buck. I also highly doubt the Green would be good for auto-x action as the increased lag and assoicated points would be a set back.

I have an open track **** of an evo but I dont think I would gain much going to the green especially on the stock ECU. It may make more power on the dyno but that's under a crap load of boost which most people don't feel comfortable with running for 30 minutes straight.

I know I'll take heat for this post. I expect it but I wont start a post war about it as its just my opinion. I know the green is a bolt on upgrade of 30-40whp given the right parts and tune but it simply doesn't make sense for most folks.
I own a 50 trim setup, and I disagree. As I have stated before, I think that the FP Green is the better choice on a stock block/stock intake/pump gas tuned car. To really take advantage of the 50 trim's full potential on pump gas, you need to be able to flow more air and need to rev higher than the stock setup will. Without that, the 50 trim's top-end advantage is not enough to overcome the FP Green's earlier spoolup and better initial torque.

l8r)
Old Jun 8, 2007, 03:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
How is it every thread involving the evo green turns into a green vs 50-trim debate. Let it die already! They are different turbos!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
How is it every thread involving the evo green turns into a green vs 50-trim debate. Let it die already! They are different turbos!
why? Because the FP Green guys fired the first shot at us!!!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Evo 8
why? Because the FP Green guys fired the first shot at us!!!
I am waiving the white flag...lolz!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim_Patterson
A local made 429whp with a 9.8 Evo VIII turbo, and has ran many 11.5s trapping 118-120. His setup is nothing big either, just cams, tbe, fmic, e85.
Guys, I am yet going to post this again for reference.

My car has small 264i/272e HKS cams, ok.

What stock 16G turbo will still make 400 whp at 7,800 rpms and 300 tq at 7,300 rmps?

Do you think a stock 16g turbo will maintain a flat hp line like this all the way up to 8,000 rpms with this small cams?

I am very impress'd with the Turbo. Search and you won't find a 16G with this power band. It is not possible.
This Turbo shines, and remember, it is the smallest current Turbo upgrade for the Evo. Not bad for a little rascal, is it?

That is my .02 on the Green.

Old Jun 8, 2007, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would like to add, that this Dyno plot was the last run of the night, after over one hour of tuning and over 20 pulls. The car was even getting hot. Water temperatures were hi also due to the stress of pull after pull runing with no time to cool.
If the turbo was blowing hot air at 31-32 psi, and out of efficient range, it sure does not show it on the graph. It keeps making power despite the heat, humidity, and abuse.
Simply, a great little Turbo.

Thank you Mr. Buschur and FP, you out did your selfs with this small Turbo, .
Old Jun 8, 2007, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That is a nice pull!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a nice pull!
I know right! Here is mine in the wide scope...

Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
I also highly doubt the Green would be good for auto-x action as the increased lag and assoicated points would be a set back.
Hey Jeff,

Just some data:

91 octane, 03 evo, 20 psi @ 35XX rpm, 22 psi @ 38XX rpm:

Some of your points are valid, but the 'increased' lag is not one of them.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Looking at the above dyno graph......
That is increased lag. My stock turbo dyno chart may be much shorter, but my peak torque is at 3500 rpm. The evo green is much better than other turbo choices as far as spool up, but it would not help for most in an autox situation.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Al so if I didnt want to run meth/alcy/race gas what would be the better choice in Turbo's? The 20g IX turbo like gruppe-S sells? I had planned on going to a green but now I am not so sure. I have:

DC Downpipe w/ decat
Magnaflow CBE
Buschur intake
Buschur ported stock o2
Helix 272 cams
Injen LICP
255lph FP

Sorry if anyone thinks this is off topic.

Quick Reply: Evo Green Dyno Sheet on 05 Evo with minimal mods