Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Green Dyno Sheet on 05 Evo with minimal mods

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bonestock!
Al so if I didnt want to run meth/alcy/race gas what would be the better choice in Turbo's? The 20g IX turbo like gruppe-S sells? I had planned on going to a green but now I am not so sure. I have:

DC Downpipe w/ decat
Magnaflow CBE
Buschur intake
Buschur ported stock o2
Helix 272 cams
Injen LICP
255lph FP

Sorry if anyone thinks this is off topic.
If youre going to run JUST pump gas and 22-23psi, the stock turbo will be the best option for you. Spending $1000+ on 20G based turbos to run straight pump gas and low boost is a complete waste of money.

Also, your mod list says "ported stock 02". I wouldnt waste money on that either. The SS 02 housing Buschur sells or the infamous "Ebay 02s" make much more power and are inexpensive.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

You say waste of money. I say install and forget about it mod. No thanks on the ebay stuff.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:43 AM
Account Disabled

the stock turbo at 22 psi and the fp green at 20 psi are going to be within 15 whp of each other, why go through all the labor plus spending 1000$ ???
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by prostcj
Looking at the above dyno graph......
That is increased lag. My stock turbo dyno chart may be much shorter, but my peak torque is at 3500 rpm. The evo green is much better than other turbo choices as far as spool up, but it would not help for most in an autox situation.
my stock turbo must spool really late because i don't hit peak trq til after 4K. It's all about the tune.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
If youre going to run JUST pump gas and 22-23psi, the stock turbo will be the best option for you. Spending $1000+ on 20G based turbos to run straight pump gas and low boost is a complete waste of money.

Also, your mod list says "ported stock 02". I wouldnt waste money on that either. The SS 02 housing Buschur sells or the infamous "Ebay 02s" make much more power and are inexpensive.
I was under same impression as a few other posters were, that the EVO Green was a good upgrade for those of us who wanted more power from basic bolt-ons (tbe, cams, O2 housing, fuel pump, injectors, FMIC, flash), pump gas and low boost 22-23 psi. Hence the 50 trim(pump gas king) vs. EVO Green debates. Reading this thread it seems the best bet for the VIII guys is to get a stock IX turbo. I'm always down for not wasting money. So any more elaboration would be great.

Last edited by Silver Knight; Jun 9, 2007 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How come no body makes post of the 20g w/meth vs 16g w/meth??? Lets say running about 26lbs...anyone???
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I think to truely ulitlize this turbo you need EVERY bolt-on made for the evo..

then you will have GREAT numbers.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NoLimitmotors
the stock turbo at 22 psi and the fp green at 20 psi are going to be within 15 whp of each other, why go through all the labor plus spending 1000$ ???

u mean between stock IX turbo and FP right?

i think its a bit more of a differene going from a VIII turbo to FP.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jordo
I think to truely ulitlize this turbo you need EVERY bolt-on made for the evo..

then you will have GREAT numbers.
That is the message I am trying to get out there

I dont like to see my customers with a stage I or II car come to a dyno appointment with one of these greens and a set of 680 injectors they dont need and get the same power levels as a car with a stock turbo and injectors

Al
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by alan678
How come no body makes post of the 20g w/meth vs 16g w/meth??? Lets say running about 26lbs...anyone???
Here is a comparison of the stock 16G at 30 psi and the 20G at 30 psi, both on about 100 octane., with same mods except the Turbo.
This was about six months ago. The car makes more power now with better tuning and small changes.

Very minimum lag, almost does not exist.
To aid with the lag, I got a very nice ported job done on the E. Manifold, ported Turbo, up-graded actuator, the Forge RS BOV, and Injen intake, pipes, lower and upper, and 02 Housing. The Boost controller, E0-1 also helps with the spool as it controls gain and waste gate, and it is set by rpms with an increased duty cycle at 3800 rpms and 4100 rpms.
Not everyone is going to have this results, as the parts in each car may be different.

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Jun 9, 2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dr. SS
u mean between stock IX turbo and FP right?

i think its a bit more of a differene going from a VIII turbo to FP.
it is a huge jump going from a stock 03 9.8 turbo to a EvoGreen. The Green is a excellent mod for 03-04 Evos with 9.8 hotside even on pump gas.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

thats what im doing... but i had already put a 10.5 on my 03 turbo.. i still think it will be a significant increase in power.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 04AWDTURBOEVO
Here is a comparison of the stock 16G at 30 psi and the 20G at 30 psi, both on about 100 octane., with same mods except the Turbo.
This was about six months ago. The car makes more power now with better tuning and small changes.
That is a beauty of a dyno. You have an excellent tune and "the list" of supporting mods. That is a nice comparison. Its what I consider what was advertised for the Green. Good for about 40whp/tq on race gas with all supporting mods. I wouldn't argue that because at 30psi the stock turbo is a mini-flame thrower and the green isn't.

Riddle me this....what was the purpose of the Green upgrade? If its your daily driver and you happend to run at 30psi 24/7 then I'm sure the on-ramp for your commute to work is a flipping blast, but very few people would drop that kind of ching for no real purpose.

I would say the dyno is impressive for a "stock appearing turbo" but I wouldn't consider that car a street dominator. I understand the sleeper approach on some cars but on an evo? The green is a poor choice for drag turbo. Could have maintained stock spool and added a 50-100 shot of juice for $500. Don't like nitrous then like Al said a 35R could get you big power without all the fuss.

Even though Razorlab has provided a dyno showing next to no increased lag (thanks!) I still can't say that the Green would help at an autocross as most of that power would be unusable. Also keep in mind not only does your WOT tune need to be dialed in but the partial throttle and transitional tune better be dead on the nuts as well. Thats looking at RAW time only as I think the mod would kill your PAX.

This leaves us with open track stuff. The major benefits of the green come from race gas, bleeding edge tune, and high boost. This doesn't sound like an open track receipt to me. Most of the EVO guys I see at lapping days run 23psi with meth/alchy for safety. How does a Green compare to a stock Nine hair dryer at 23psi with octane/meth/alchy? I don't know the answer to that but since we're are talking about safety.... before selecting a green to decrease lap times a person would have to have an even longer list of supporting mods. The shop cars, the sponsored drives, the Richy Rich guys, they could probably pull it off but most of the green customers aren't out there upgrading brakes, tires, and driver skill to match the newly adder power.

This will be my last lengthly post on the subject. I'll agree that a 400whp EVO would be more fun to drive to work. And when the car is in full race trim, you may even be able to win 5% more races. The "on the surface" cost appears to be low but the attainable gains have to be earned via fine tuning and supporting mods. This is gonna cost you one way or another.

Its your time and money.

Last edited by Jeff_Jeske; Jun 9, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by prostcj
Looking at the above dyno graph......
That is increased lag. My stock turbo dyno chart may be much shorter, but my peak torque is at 3500 rpm. The evo green is much better than other turbo choices as far as spool up, but it would not help for most in an autox situation.
On that dyno, the stock turbo spools pretty much the same, 20psi at almost the same RPM and 22 psi at almost the same rpm.

You cannot compare that dyno with your dyno, but you can compare stock turbo vs green on the same dyno.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 12:44 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske

This leaves us with open track stuff. The major benefits of the green come from race gas, bleeding edge tune, and high boost. This doesn't sound like an open track receipt to me. Most of the EVO guys I see at lapping days run 23psi with meth/alchy for safety. How does a Green compare to a stock Nine hair dryer at 23psi with octane/meth/alchy?
Hey Jeff,

Some more data for you.

This was my stock 05 10.5 turbo at 26psi peak on 100 octane:

This is my FPgreen at 26psi peak on 100 octane:

This is my FPgreen at 24psi on 100 octane:

This is my FPgreen at 22psi on 100 octane: (please ignore the beginning of the torque curve on this one as it was a incomplete tune at the time because of time restraints), this is my open track tune

As you can see, with the FPgreen @ 22psi, I am running more horsepower with 4 psi less than my stock turbo did, and with a much better top end. Also keep in mind my open track tune has alot less torque, this was tuned for as I have a 6spd and wanted to put less stress on it at the track.

I consider all these FPgreen tunes more normal world tunes, and not 33psi C16 bonzai 1/4 mile tunes. My personal car could make more power with this turbo but it is currently set up for faster spool and boost response than all out power. Still have stock 02 housing and +1/-1 cam gear settings which make the car very very responsive but I am sure I am giving up a healthy amount of power up top.

Last edited by razorlab; Jun 10, 2007 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo Green Dyno Sheet on 05 Evo with minimal mods