Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't boost past 12psi. I give up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are u going to do when you cant boost past 8lbs in your sti??? going to trade that in too? Just keep the car and fix it ..
Old Jun 9, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by subrwho
Heres how the mbc is hooked up. . (and my wastegate is after market, 17psi)
Wastegate to bottom of the Halman mbc. Line off the side of the mbc to the bov line. With the turbo nipple and intake capped.
Lines to the mbc are backwards I think. Your boost source (BOV line for you) should be at the bottom of the mbc. This pressure is what pushes the ball inside up so it won't work the other way...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

well whatever it is...you should just buy the STi... and sell the evo for about 15k dollars since it wont work properly. and some kid will have the steal of his life and take it to a shop and get the problem fixed for 50 bucks
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

If you can't fix the problem, get a friend to check it (double check) or take it into a mechanic.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:13 AM

The lines are hooked up wrong, I had the same problem.

Why would you trade in the evo for a sti that is even more a of PITA to workon?..... I should know, my friend has a 07 sti and it aint no pic-nic
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

did u remove the stock electronic boost controller? ya know ur supposed to leave that connected (the wires)
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by thekuai
did u remove the stock electronic boost controller? ya know ur supposed to leave that connected (the wires)
Your only suppose to cap the nipple's.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdmevo8313
Your only suppose to cap the nipple's.
i know that, but you are supposed to leave it plugged in... hence why i wrote (the wires)
Evolved Member

STi are great....until you modify them. if you have worked with them already then great...but ask anyone who has a FMIC how hard it was...or ask ANY suby owner how hard it is to replace an up-pipe. the evo is so rediculously easy to modify...and the STi is the complete opposite

i myself have installed 2 FMIC and never again...even the rear sway bar was a b1tch...compaired to the evo
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by mrich82
Lines to the mbc are backwards I think. Your boost source (BOV line for you) should be at the bottom of the mbc. This pressure is what pushes the ball inside up so it won't work the other way...
+++111

LOL
Old Jun 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
Evolving Member

Come on dude. Seriously, you changed all that stuff, and you think you did everything right, then all of a sudden your car cany boost past 12psi? Obviously you did something wrong, take our advice. Re check your work, have a buddy do it, or take it to a mechanic.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by thekuai
i know that, but you are supposed to leave it plugged in... hence why i wrote (the wires)
Yet you didnt say that you needed to cap it off, I was just stating what he had to do. I wasnt trying to correct you, no need to get your panties in a bunch
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:45 PM

I too had a similar problem liek this. The nob was turned all the way and I could only boost to 12 lbs. It turned out that the mounting bracket was positioned too high, so it seemed like the nob was at it's limit. I loosened the bracket to the boost controller, and lowered the position. I then was able to turn the nob further, allowing me to boost to 23lbs. Give that a try. My bc was a Hallman.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

WOW just wow... this is why I love the aftermarket It weeds out the real tuners from the boys who want more toys. Dude If you lived close to me I'd totally fix that for you for like 50 bucks. My advice is to stop getting frustrated and take it in to a REAL TUNER please! POOR EVO.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:05 PM

No don't worry dude you're totally right, the car is just broken and it will never work, you yourself are too good to deal with this piece of crap, trade it in and get an STi, the car of your dreams.

Trust me on this.

Quick Reply: Can't boost past 12psi. I give up!