Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Can't boost past 12psi. I give up!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Ok I'm not sure how the aftermarket wga is on the evo, but on my previous car (srt-4) the wga arm had a turnable nut. Basically it gave the adjustibility of raising and lowering boost with the wga (no mbc needed) by making the arm shorter (more boost) or longer (less boost). I say check the wga arm preset if its adjustable.

Now to your exhaust leak. On my srt-4 I later upgraded to .50 turbo kit. The Tial wastegate spring was a 1 bar ~14.6 psi spring. The gasket blew from the exhaust manifold to wastegate connection, and therefore I had an exhaust leak. With the exhaust leak I could not boost past 13 psi unless I pretty much unhooked the mbc and completely isolated any boost from reaching the wastegate to push it open.

So I say check the wga arm tension (if it is adjustable), then get the exhaust leak fixed. Start with what you know, then look for the next.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you if you give up that fast your never gonna be happy. i have worked with electronics for the past 6 years as a journeyman technician. and if your doing maint. and put everything together and it doesnt work...but it did before you did the maint....its your fault. so you should take it back apart and recheck everything and use some of the advice you got (even tho most of your replies are flames) and try to fix this issue. you will end up learning alot more and next time someone else has that issue you can help them out with the knowledge you recieved OR just get an STi
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Ok I'm not sure how the aftermarket wga is on the evo, but on my previous car (srt-4) the wga arm had a turnable nut. Basically it gave the adjustibility of raising and lowering boost with the wga (no mbc needed) by making the arm shorter (more boost) or longer (less boost). I say check the wga arm preset if its adjustable.

Now to your exhaust leak. On my srt-4 I later upgraded to .50 turbo kit. The Tial wastegate spring was a 1 bar ~14.6 psi spring. The gasket blew from the exhaust manifold to wastegate connection, and therefore I had an exhaust leak. With the exhaust leak I could not boost past 13 psi unless I pretty much unhooked the mbc and completely isolated any boost from reaching the wastegate to push it open.

So I say check the wga arm tension (if it is adjustable), then get the exhaust leak fixed. Start with what you know, then look for the next.
+1

this is what i suggested before...but in more detail....i bet its this...
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

WTF trade for an STi ??? look at your own username. LOL
Old Jun 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by subrwho
Heres how the mbc is hooked up. . (and my wastegate is after market, 17psi)
Wastegate to bottom of the Halman mbc. Line off the side of the mbc to the bov line. With the turbo nipple and intake capped.
3 pages of bullcrap....

What the hell are you guys even talking about...

You just described the improper boost controller install. The lines are backwards.

Thread closed...

Or nevermind, I suspect these members would like to have a few more pages of fun with you.

If you do get the STi, don't work on it yourself.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jun 9, 2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Well last weekend I started the install on my new wastegate, manifold, o2 housing, and new boost controller. I replaced all of the vaccum lines and everything and still can't boost more than 12psi with the mbc all the way up. I'm sick of the evo, it's just problem after problem. So next weekend I will be trading my car in for an Sti. Anyone know what I can do to get my boost right before I trade it in? thanks
Where do you live in utah? Anywhere near STG? if so ill fix it for you for 50 bux.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
3 pages of bullcrap....

What the hell are you guys even talking about...

You just described the improper boost controller install. The lines are backwards.

Thread closed...

Or nevermind, I suspect these members would like to have a few more pages of fun with you.

If you do get the STi, don't work on it yourself.
well actually no those werent bullcrap suggestions... the wastegate installation is an actual problem that i myself have seen and it just so happened that the psi was stuck at 12 psi...as for the mix up with the lines for the MBC that was suggested earlier and he was still posting so we are guessing that he already fixed that.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

wwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh
Old Jun 9, 2007, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

hey suby guy...did any of these tips work?
Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's probably still going to sell the car and go to a subie forum just from sheer embarrassment.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

lol i bet it his wga is not adjusted wright or he broke it installing it.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

yeah he hasnt shown back up with any updates for a while
Old Jun 9, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Heres how the mbc is hooked up. .Wastegate to bottom of the Halman mbc. Line off the side of the mbc to the bov line. With the turbo nipple and intake capped.
For what it´s worth, your vacuum lines are hooked up backwards. 1) The boost reference source, which in your case is the DV/intake manifold line should be routed to the bottom port(the port opposite the MBC knob)on your Hallman MBC. 2) the side port on your MBC should be routed to the port on your wastegate actuator.

I think that you need to shorten the WG actuator rod until preload is up to 18.5# since you have an 18# minimum aftermarket actuator. Once that is set, then your MBC should be back in the loop again.

A pre turbine exhaust leak will play havoc on your A/F ratio and knock counts.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
lol i bet it his wga is not adjusted wright or he broke it installing it.
Wastegate installed wrong. Bro, I have probably done more installs then you'll ever do! And i'm not just giving up on the car because of this. All I have had is problems (And I don't beat the hell out of my car, I barely even drive it!) I baby my car!!!
The ONLY reason I said I give up is because of all of the problems i've had. And please don't say I treat my car like ****, or beat the hell out of it because I honestly don't. And i'm not trying to make everyone hate me by saying that I might trade in for an Sti, it's just that an Sti is more of a daily driver. Thank you all for your help, i'll have to try some things. Thanks again.
Old Jun 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

And by the way my mbc is installed right. Here's the link. I have mine mounted with the boost adjusting knob on the side, not the top. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ht=mbc+install

Quick Reply: Can't boost past 12psi. I give up!