Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Built Motor Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Built Motor Questions

I am wondering what exactly is changed for the motor to be considered built? I know the rods and pistons are changed to forged, and there is probably some port work done but what else is done? If I were to throw a set of rods and pistons in would I be considered built and be able to rev to say 9K or would other things be needed. Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

A motor consists of 2 parts, the block and the head. The head needs to be built with better valve springs and retainers in order to rev very high. The block can use forged pistons and rods to withstand more power, along with stronger hardware like the rod bolts and main studs.

Also, I dont know what youre plans are, but revving to 9k is for very large turbs (GT35R and up) and really only needed for serious drag racing.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

I am planning on a 35R build and was considering a built 2.0 or a possible rod and piston swap.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05WhiteEVO8
I am planning on a 35R build and was considering a built 2.0 or a possible rod and piston swap.

Ok great choice! I am of course assuming you will be utilizing the 35R to its potential and running it with around 28-33psi of boost. With that said, while many do run that on the stock block with 35Rs, only time will tell how long the block will last. Forged pistons/rods is not a great idea. You should also do ARP rod bolts as well. If you want to rev high not only will you need a built valvetrain (springs, retainers, etc.) you should have sp,e high lift cams to really make it worth it (JUN 272s for example).

Last edited by Soon2BEVO; Jun 11, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks man.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:42 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am wondering what exactly is changed for the motor to be considered built? I know the rods and pistons are changed to forged, and there is probably some port work done but what else is done? If I were to throw a set of rods and pistons in would I be considered built and be able to rev to say 9K or would other things be needed. Thanks

also call AMS or even better Jackson Machineshop they seem to know what they do
Old Jun 11, 2007, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
Ok great choice! I am of course assuming you will be utilizing the 35R to its potential and running it with around 28-33psi of boost. With that said, while many do run that on the stock block with 35Rs, only time will tell how long the block will last. Forged pistons/rods is not a good idea. You should also do ARP rod bolts as well.
I assume that this was a typo. Forged pistons and rods are essential for a high HP build. High quality rod bolts are already included on almost all forged rods, and are comparable quality to the ARPs that are recommended if you're replacing the factory rod bolts with better quality ones and still using the factory rods.

Rod bolts, followed by valve springs, are the two areas of obvious risk in OEM parts if you're planning to go higher HP or higher RPMs.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolving Member

Yup...
The best way to do is call up Buschur Racing or AMS or JAM....
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to be calling them up, I just wanted a little info before hand.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
I assume that this was a typo. Forged pistons and rods are essential for a high HP build. High quality rod bolts are already included on almost all forged rods, and are comparable quality to the ARPs that are recommended if you're replacing the factory rod bolts with better quality ones and still using the factory rods.

Rod bolts, followed by valve springs, are the two areas of obvious risk in OEM parts if you're planning to go higher HP or higher RPMs.

Yes that was a typo!! I cant believe I wrote that, Im fixing it now!
Old Jun 11, 2007, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Built could be a few upgrades or many.

Typically you would want pistons, rods, headstuds, main studs, rod bolts (which come on many upgrade rods), high quality main and rod bearings, thrust bearings, consider balance shaft removal, should balance the rotating assembly (rods, crank, pistons), stock crank is sufficient to 1000hp in many cases, boring and honing cylinders to the next .020 larger size is normal and you want a good cross hatching of the bores. If doing main studs, you should have the block align bored to insure they don't pull the crank journals out of round.

The head, you may consider stronger valvesprings at minimum, or invest into double springs, Titanium retainers, seats, brass or copper valve guides, standard or oversized black nitrided valves (inconel exhaust valves available in oversize -for high heat resistance), valve seals, camshafts, camgears and metal multi layer headgasket. Many times you want to cut the head for a nice flat surface.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm also going to say call JAM
Old Jun 11, 2007, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you'll definitely need an upgraded valvetrain to go 9K.
Old Jun 11, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone, I understand now that it is a lot more than just drop in rods and pistons and valve springs.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XK120
I'm also going to say call JAM
I see no reason to have to order 500+ lb. blocks from around the country. If you have a local machine shop that is good, take your parts to them to have it machined.

If you are mechanically inclined. Assemble it yourself.