Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What psi should the stock diverter valve hold?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2007, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What psi should the stock diverter valve hold?

I'm trying to diagnose a problem with my diverter valve but not getting much feedback here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=276307

So here are two specific questions:
- What psi should the stock diverter valve (the IX metal one) hold with no positive pressure input into the vacuum nipple
- What psi should it hold if I provide positive pressure into the vacuum nipple.

I am suspecting that my diverter valve broke as I can't even to get it to hold 1 psi with the vacuum nipple at atmospheric pressure. My guess is that is should hold around 6psi....no?

(I'm trying to test my valve similar to as what is described here: http://dv.mistertam.com/)

Thanks.

Last edited by xtnct; Jun 12, 2007 at 05:54 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is a good question and I'd like to know the answer as well. The example of the metal DV I had on my car was already venting noticeably at 10-11 PSI. The spring itself is pretty weak and I'd guess that it's starting to lift as early as 7#. This is just a guess though as I've tinkered around with mine somewhat and eventually crushed it and finally tossed it into the trash bin.

I too would like to know if anyone has measured at what PSI the valve cracks off its seat. Incidentally, what sort of device do you use to measure this?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky

Incidentally, what sort of device do you use to measure this?
All you need is a pump and a bike tube... browse this link for pics and testing instructions: http://dv.mistertam.com/
Old Jun 12, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the link!
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Any result?
Old Jun 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It sounds like you were diligent with the testing. The next step would be to borrow someone's BOV and put it on to see what happens. It may have just broken internally...
Old Jun 13, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Ok, I build a little test rig, same PSI input to vacuum nipple now as the valve. See pic.

It does not hold pressure too well. If I pump up to ~25-20 psi, air leaks out almost as fast as I put it in. I assume that it should be able to hold 20 psi without issues for at least a few secs. At ~15-10 psi, the leaking is slower, but it eventually all leaks out within ~10 secs.

Can anyone repeat this test with a good valve and post your results?

This seems to be consistent with my car's behavior. I guess I'll have to buy a new valve... can't be bothered with dealing with warranty, too much aggravation from past experiences...

Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xtnct
Can anyone repeat this test with a good valve and post your results?

Ive done the same thing a while back , my tester looked very similar .
From what ive found . The plastic 8 bov leaked @12-13psi , The IX bov leaked @24-25 psi and I also tested a HKS SSQV and it held to over 40psi .
The make sure I was hearing the leaks I put the BOV under water land looked for the bubbles . The IX BOV leaked very little @24-25 psi but i saw some bubbles , 26-27 psi was a lot of bubbles .

Sounds like your IX bov is not working like the one I tested , just for fun try the same test but put the hose from the tester on the discharge side of the BOV and retest . IT should NOT LEAK at all , if it does leak it prob more of a the piston (of the BOV) not sealing . If thats the case check for dirt where the piston seals to the valve body .
Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

under water & bubbles...neat. I used a balloon (well, actually a finger off a latex glove). You can see it grow and then it pops off