Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Advice on Boost, Mods, !Power!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advice on Boost, Mods, !Power!

So I have a 05 Evo, I put the motor together my self, I got it wrecked and fixed it up, it had a smashed block so I had to get a new one, so I did, the head was in perfect shape, I did not take off the turbo or anything, just the Head to Block bolts

In mods all I have is a Ebay intercooler.

My friend has a 05 Sti, when I drover his car, it feels like the boost builds up allot quicker and just Bang it go’s, my Evo feels like it takes its time to build boost, so its not such a bang your off, its more like a push, all he has is a 3” TB

about 1 and 2 gear it feels/looks like I get full boost at 4k+ (1.3 or 1.4 bar, then it falls back down to 1.1, but like 5th gear its around 3k-3.5k, Everything ok here? Everything working like it should be?

Mods I want to upgrade in the near future, I want to keep it stock looking, I am in Sacramento, CA, and I dont want any problems if I get pulled over for my " illegal spoiler " or whatever.
K&N Drop in Filter, LICP, 3in DP, HF 3in Cat, then the custom made 3" CatBack, the one thats not any louder then stock with the big muffler, and then a mail in Flash
Any Suggestions, Advice, power potential with this setup?
Thank you all for taking the time to read this!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That STI has as 2.5L motor and a smaller turbo, so it hits earlier and dies out earlier while making much less power overall. You have no mods, so you have not yet begun to make our badboy 16G sing.

More load in lower gears and higher load in higher gears - this affects spool, peak boost, and boost sustainment (basic stuff).

Your mods won't make much power, because any exhaust as quiet as stock will just be a waste of money, the HFC makes little-to-no-power over the stock cat, and the Ebay FMIC does very little over the stock FMIC. You're getting these things but not an MBC (to raise boost and reduce taper), BOV (to replace the plastic stocker), and fuel pump (for safety). In the end, you'll try so hard to be like stock that you will have spent money on things that don't look stock, won't be stock, but will perform like stock. Yay? The only good thing you listed is the flash.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 09:56 PM

ohh I forgot about the MBC, yes I am also getting that.
ok so I should add BOV and the Fuel Pump to my List.

why dose the boost start at about 20 and end up at 16 at red line? and what needs to be done to be at 20psi the hole time.

any recommendations on the exhaust. I really dont want to attract attention to my self. Well at least not to much attention,

Thank you!
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why does boost that? Because it's programmed that way. Have you done any research yet? A little searching goes a long way. You can't stay at 20psi, but if you notice, I just finished saying that an MBC reduces taper...and a "hole" is an empty space.

Exhausts attracts attention. You either get one or you don't. The easiest thing to do is put a test pipe in place of the stock cat and leave the rest a lone. Looks exactly stock, very little change in sound, and costs less than $100.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just go all out and blow the doors off your buddies "slowbaru!" I wanted to stay stock looking too at first. After that little taste of some more ponies, you'll be beggin for more! Just do it correct the first time and save some money. Check out one of the Buschur packages or another vendor. Low money and crazy gains.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 10:57 PM

Warrtalon, thank you for the Advice, and I do know the basic stuff, I was just making sure it was working ok, I never drove an evo so i am not sure if its slower, boost to low, or antying else. Just want to make sure its working right. My wife will not let me spend to much money so I cant really go all the way and just give it to some one to do all the work.

ok so if I have a 3in DP, and a complete 3" CB, with a 3" HFC, that will do little over stock? how is that possible.

I was reading people holding at 20 - 19psi, how?

Thegame, "slowbaru!" HAHAHAHA... thats so funy...