Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Replacement

For people that have replaced thier clutch already....could I get your feedback on what aftermarket one you selected....9000 miles and mine is biting right at the top....no drag style launches and no abuse has ever been given to this clutch...it must be made of recycled Bounty kitchen roll...I am annoyed that the standard clutch is shot already...other cars I have owned have lasted at least 60,000 miles
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I think some peopel are using the EXEDY twin disc, but see ultimate racings car may be using ACT

-Shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Where would I get an Exedy and how much are they?
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

On my Subaru I installed a Clutch Masters stage III single plate clutch that was made of Kevlar. I liked the way it engaged very much, plus they are suppossed to last like 5 times longer than a regular clutch. I'm not sure if they make that disc for the EVO but I'm gonna find out...
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:32 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Clutchmasters and Exedy are made by the same company I do believe. Daikin-clutch has their name proudly stamped on my CM Stage IV pressure plate. Exedy has a bigger line of clutches (esp. multi plates) last I checked though.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 06:41 AM
Account Disabled

You definately don't want a Kevlar disk on a street driven car....it does not do a good job of expelling heat.

We have the Exedy single disks available right now for immediate delivery, twin disks are on backorder till July right now.
Old Jun 27, 2003, 04:21 PM
Account Disabled

While Clutchmasters and Daiken have parts in common, they most certainly are not the same AFAIK....almost every aftermarket clutch company out there uses some part from Daiken, as Daiken is far and away the largest Japanese OEM and aftermarket clutch firm in the world.

Adam
Old Jun 27, 2003, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

the twin disc is the better for street use right? ie-traffic as you said before... will it wear faster than the single?

-shahul
Old Jun 27, 2003, 10:37 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Z1 Performance
You definately don't want a Kevlar disk on a street driven car....it does not do a good job of expelling heat.

This is the first time I feel I have to question your advise... after having experience with Kevlar on street cars (one very high power and heavy AWD) how do you come to this conclusion?(the street driven car part) We liked the fact that the disk had a little slip prior to "lock up". I was looking for a unsprung kevlar disk with not too damn a heavy pressure plate for street use...
Old Jun 28, 2003, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

I used one on my Subaru a few years back, and it was a horrible experience. Under load it was fine, but as soon as the car sat in traffic for more than 5 minutes, or after doing a single launch, the disk would literally just soak up the heat, and you had to let the car cool before it would grip again.

You want an unsprung disk? Yikes man....hope you have some spare trannies
Old Jun 28, 2003, 03:05 PM

Wink Daikin is the best clutch

I have the Daikin twin plate clutch in both my rally Evo 6 and my road Evo 7 and they both work great. No slip, no judder and a light pedal pressure.

The only drawback is that the clutch and replacement plates are expensive and hard to find.

I got one from TAD Motorsports and the other from Daikin in Australia directly.

Cost of the clutch and flywheel assembly complete was US$1,300 - so they are a bit expensive.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 04:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
I used one on my Subaru a few years back, and it was a horrible experience. Under load it was fine, but as soon as the car sat in traffic for more than 5 minutes, or after doing a single launch, the disk would literally just soak up the heat, and you had to let the car cool before it would grip again.

You want an unsprung disk? Yikes man....hope you have some spare trannies

interesting... we didn't have that problem.

I'm a slight slipper, not a clutch ripper, so an unsprung disk offers more longevity... how you ask? Fewer parts (read springs) to come apart on me... it's easy on the friction surfaces, and with the right pressure plate (the secret to any good clutch, much less Kevlar), engagement can be great too. The only real problem with most unsprung clutches is the travel/design of the plate. Most offerings compromise engagement for the sake of ultimate clamping pressure in order to force enough bite with Kevlar... I need to see if Action Clutch might be interested in whipping something up. I've had good results with them... Of course I'm not ruling out your above mentioned units.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 05:14 PM
gtr
Evolved Member

Re: Clutch Replacement

Originally posted by limey
For people that have replaced thier clutch already....could I get your feedback on what aftermarket one you selected....9000 miles and mine is biting right at the top....no drag style launches and no abuse has ever been given to this clutch...it must be made of recycled Bounty kitchen roll...I am annoyed that the standard clutch is shot already...other cars I have owned have lasted at least 60,000 miles
That doesn't sound right. Wasn't there a premature failure to evo 7 clutch due to the spring or something? Take it in for warrentee work.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

my clutch is gone at 3100 miles. Yikes
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Rallyman
I have the Daikin twin plate clutch in both my rally Evo 6 and my road Evo 7 and they both work great. No slip, no judder and a light pedal pressure.

The only drawback is that the clutch and replacement plates are expensive and hard to find.

I got one from TAD Motorsports and the other from Daikin in Australia directly.

Cost of the clutch and flywheel assembly complete was US$1,300 - so they are a bit expensive.
truthfully 1300 for the whole set up isnt awful my cars at 26k and the clutch is going which to me was surprising, im used to clutches lasting twice that. My repair through an outside shop is going to be around 1300 where as the dealer is a MINIMUM of 2k... insane. As for the kevlar street/race disk options, my biggest concern is using too powerful of a clutch and eating through it on day to day traffic or stalling it all the time due to lack of torque and overpowered clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch Replacement