Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to pull motor?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transfer case evolution 8

Originally Posted by erioshi
I did mine on a real lift, but the basic (big) steps were remove the T-Case from tranny, drop the engine & Tranny as a unit out the bottom. Remember to fully release the TO bearing lock ring before dropping the engine/tranny combo.

please help.....cant disconnect transfer case from trany
is there a trick?????
Old Apr 14, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just be sure to drain all fluids first, engine will be about 1 pound lighter when you lift that sucker outta there. But seriously the easiest way to do this maybe is start with a table nearby to have all tools avail within reach, have some tub's to place parts in, mark everything, clean the garage for a sanitary environment, have a fridge nearby with energy drink (beer)
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by yurk1
please help.....cant disconnect transfer case from trany
is there a trick?????
Did you remove the halfshaft that is in the tranny connecting the front diff to the driver's side axle?

My motor/trans/transfer case along with the front suspension is sitting on the floor of my garage right nowas one big lump. I was able to get the assembly out of the car without an engine hoist. It went something like this:

1. Disconnect everything from the parts that are going to drop out (including wheel speed sensors and hang brake calipers from wire detached from hub uprights.

2. With wheels off, lower the car down and use some 2x4s to block up the subframe and engine as low as you can.

3. Remove 8 bolts that attach subframe assembly to unibody

4. Jack car up off drivetrain

5. Realize you can't get the car up high enough to slide all the **** out from underneath it with a floor jack and have to get out the engine hoist anyway.

With a car lift and a cart that you could roll everything out on, it's definitely the way to do this job.

In a garage with jack stands, I'd say it's probably a toss up so far. Once I got the coolant lines and wiring disconnected along with a few other small bits that would have to be removed regardless of method, it literally only took about 10 minutes to have the assembly sitting on the floor.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 11:18 AM

I have to say that this motor is not that hard to take out, you do not have to drop the k member or struts. It helps to take out the intake manifold. Unbolt the transfer case and slide it to the passanger side.

Lower the transmission side and twist the tranny towards the rear of the car . It comes out with ease just alot of little bolts and things to get unbolted but not really that hard if you have a hoist, I did mine in the garage.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AxionIndustries
I have to say that this motor is not that hard to take out, you do not have to drop the k member or struts. It helps to take out the intake manifold. Unbolt the transfer case and slide it to the passanger side.

Lower the transmission side and twist the tranny towards the rear of the car . It comes out with ease just alot of little bolts and things to get unbolted but not really that hard if you have a hoist, I did mine in the garage.

Since this is technically a resurrection of a thread by the original owner of my evo i'll post up something to add but axionindustries said it right.

This is what the car looked like after i picked it up from "racers" and when the fun began !

Old Apr 14, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I've always done it by pulling the whole long block assembly out from the top. Of course, after you disconnect the t-case, harnesses, hoses etc Good luck.

Aaron