Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to pull motor?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to pull motor?

Its time to get the stocker out of there. Im just wondering if the tranny needs to come off the car first, lol I just put a new clutch in a week ago . I will be doing this in my garage on jackstands. Not sure if you can just unbolt the tc and pull the engine and tranny up or if I should unbolt the engine cradle and drop everything out of the bottom.

Any info would be appreciated
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:03 AM
adx
Evolving Member

Tranny goes first. I would guess the TC needs to come off as well. Then disconnect every hose, and unbolt every mount.

Obviously, Zip-Lock & sharpie everything, ftw.

It maybe possible to drop the motor from the bottom, but you will need a lift to do so.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
What you getting?? Pistons and rods and such, full build??
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

I did mine on a real lift, but the basic (big) steps were remove the T-Case from tranny, drop the engine & Tranny as a unit out the bottom. Remember to fully release the TO bearing lock ring before dropping the engine/tranny combo.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

with some advil handy! what a pain in the ***!
1) axles

2) if you have ever changed a clutch you will know how to seperate the tranny from the block. hate doing this so much that i left the tranny on.

3) unbolt transfer case

4)jack car up real high

5)pull motor out of the bottom

6) scratch your head, look at your car and wonder if it will ever run again! hehe!
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

You can get it out the bottom in a garage but you will need to take the struts off, drop the whole K-member/engine/trans/t-case/accesories out the bottom, when the whole mess is on the ground you will need to jack or lift the front of the car pretty high and need the rear end on stands to pull the whle thing out. Or you can strip most of the motor and pull the motor/trans minus the t-case out the top. BOth work and they both suck in a garage with no lift

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Jun 16, 2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

no need to pull off the subframe or struts. and yes the garage deal will work. see step 6.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Probly not but it did give me a little more room to work it out. Plus if you leave it on the kmemeber you can pull the whole front drivetrain out in one piece. Just disconnect the ps at the rack and a few bolts latter and she is on the ground.

Last edited by 4ringturncoat; Jun 16, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

word. i never thought of that! if you had a rack you could prolly do a whole drivetrain swap in 10 hours using your technique, assuming you had the new drivetrain in one piece ready to go. i decided to take about 4 months with mine. i love pain.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

The engine with tranny will fit out the top, but it is a major pain. I did an entire swap in about 2 weeks working nights and weekends in my garage. Just disconnect the axles, TC, wiring harness, vacuum lines, and P/S pump and pull the whole thing out. You also have to remove the hood. Make sure you take your time and don't break anything.

-Paul
Old Jun 17, 2007, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

The entire assembly with the trans will DROP out of the bottom of the car with ease. Disconnect the AC and PS FROM THE BLOCK, Turbo and downpipe hardware, Radiator, Axles, Transfer case and drive shaft, crossmember and your ready.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Planet Evo
The entire assembly with the trans will DROP out of the bottom of the car with ease. Disconnect the AC and PS FROM THE BLOCK, Turbo and downpipe hardware, Radiator, Axles, Transfer case and drive shaft, crossmember and your ready.
Im assuming that you need the car at least 2 feet off the ground to do this?
Do you completely disconnect the PS and AC or do you just let it hang in the engine bay? And you remove the crossmember or leave it attached and drop it out with the motor? Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

The AC and PS will actually sit up top. Swing them to the top of the engine closest to the radiator support and out of the way. The distance will have to be exactly a minimum of26" to clear the undersupport. The crossmemeber is the one with the front motormount attached to it. Do not mistaken it for the subframe cradle that houses the rack and pinion. So the crossmember will need to be removed completely.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Planet Evo
The AC and PS will actually sit up top. Swing them to the top of the engine closest to the radiator support and out of the way. The distance will have to be exactly a minimum of26" to clear the undersupport. The crossmemeber is the one with the front motormount attached to it. Do not mistaken it for the subframe cradle that houses the rack and pinion. So the crossmember will need to be removed completely.
Thanks for the replies Planet Evo. So does the subframe cradle need to be completely removed or do you leave that attached to the motor? I guess all that would be holding it to the motor would be the rear motor mount. So that would be easy enough to pull out first.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

No the rear mount bolt is removed only. The cradle is dropped enough to remove the t case

Quick Reply: Best way to pull motor?