Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drop in IAT by disconnecting hot water feed to the throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2007, 03:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop in IAT by disconnecting hot water feed to the throttle body?

Has anybody done this? I have read about this on MLR, but was not able to find any posts on evom about it except for this one on lancer ralliart forum. The idea is to disconnect the warm water feed to the throttle body to help keep air intake temperatures low.

This was also recommended by a reputable UK tuner. According to him, even in the UK's colder climate they did not have any problems with the trottle body sticking in cold weather

Is there any gains to be had from this? Surely if it worked, people in the USA (especially in hot southern states) would be doing this.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
lots of honda guy do it. if you done live in cold climate, then just by pass it. you can also add hondata intake manifold gasket for even better improvement.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

I am surprised that nobody on evom has tried it before... There is some info on MLR. Usually there is tons of info on similar topics on evom - not this time. Kind of strange as USA is much warmer than UK making this mod worth more here
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

many people have done it before, they call it the throttle body bypass mod or coolant bypass mod.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 07:54 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of people have done it here, I don't think there's anyone that has actually dyno tested it to see the results though.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

I found the threads you guys are talking about.

Does anyone know if this will reduces the engines tendency to knock or make additional power?
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

it probably would since it will reduce IAT. However, it will most likely be an immeasurably small amount.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

thanks bud. the temps here are supposed to reach 40C this weekend, so I will try this out and see if it makes a difference.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I'm going to go try it as well. The summer heat is making my car run **** poor

EDIT: I just realized that I could try and log before and after with our shop's MODIS and see if there is any difference in the IAT as well as other temps.

Last edited by nightwalker; Jun 19, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

The air temp sensor that the MODIS logs is in the MAF if I'm not mistaking. Meaning you will not be able to measure the difference after the Throttle body.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

i have done this on my lancer and took before and after temperature readings. heres the thread...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=251402
not sure exactly what its worth, but theres a pretty noticeable difference in temps.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

heres another thread on it with results...
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=265352
Old Jun 19, 2007, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

I have done it. I didn't see any difference since konck level and all stayed the same but I am sure it will help little. be prepared for rough idle when TB temperature swings between hot and cold.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
People in the U.S. have been doing this basic, "free mod" since the mid Nineteen- Eighties. The G.M. guys all used to do this on their EFI Camaros and SFI Turbo Buicks too.

Disconnect both coolant hoses from their throttle body inlet and outlet fittings. Then, finish removing one of the two hoses altogether, by removing it from its fitting on the engine. Finally, take the one remaining hose, which is still connected to one of the two engine coolant fittings and loop it to the other empty fitting on the engine. So, you end up with two empty, unused fittings on the throttle body, and one hose connecting the two fittings on the engine. Sorry, I made it seem so confusing

EDIT: By I.A.T., you are refering to intake air temperature, and not to its more common meaning of, idle air temp, right?

Last edited by sparky; Jun 19, 2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: futile swipe at clarity by an old geezer
Old Jun 19, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Also try using the intake manifold spacer if you are worried about intake temps. Basically its a thicker intake manifold gasket made of plastic that drops intake temps by insulating the intake manifold from heat coming from the cylinder head.

Quick Reply: Drop in IAT by disconnecting hot water feed to the throttle body?