Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Supercharged Evo anyone???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me personally, I'd love a supercharger on my car, I hate lag more then anything in the world.

...well, not true. But close.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lag is over rated.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jean
The link doesnt work.

Im not bashing or anything just really curious.

I know that style supercharger will make instant boost and torque. I am familiar with them on BMW's. http://activeautowerke.com/superchar...e36m3/main.php

I just wanted to know how you would intercool it and make it functional, and why it seemed to be mounted on the exhaust side on the pic.

Opinion:
For our cars i dont think you will find a better source other than a turbo for power. But it also depends on what you are looking for as well.

In other words im sure it can be done, but why? I just personally dont see enough of a gain to do so. But im more interested in making more power than instant boost etc... which would be great for daily driving.

Good luck if you decide to try it.
its ok mate. as said i was just trying to see what others thought of the idea!

its quiet easy to run a roots style blower with an A2A IC, but you do have to mount them diffrently. normally you swing them around so the underside of the blower faces away from the engine. on the underside is the oulet. then you just make up cold side piping like you would a turbo.

the whole idea of using the A2A was to get rid of the often inefficent A2W setups you get with these type of superchargers. by keeping the A2A you already have a effective intercooling system that we all know work VERY.

as for 3240's car (the Evo in the link) he has mounted his supercharger on the exhaust side, but you just cant see the pipe wok running form the supercharger to the turbo! sorry i understand why that might be confusing now.

06MR6 the main thought behind this was for raodcooruse guys. here lag is a killer and you want instant boost! with this set up (if you could get it to work) you would have instant mid range power with no lag. i understand packaging might be a problem and im going to have a look further into it.

thanks again everyone.

Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

PS. link is now updated.

thanks Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Food for thought:

(quoted from Nasioc)

Originally Posted by turbo_GC8
My buddy from Phoenix ( Owner of Forced Air Technologies ) Drove his STi to Flagstaff today... He finished fabricating the kit and got the car running last night. Two GT30's and an AMG Supercharger.
Some finishing touches will be added, but here it is, fresh out of the shop:

Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
I know its sounds stupid but how about using a positive displacement supercharger on an Evo???? Instant power form low rpm all the way to the top end.

Pros:
Instant boost at any rpm
Zero lag.
Still run air to air intercooler
No BOV needed (run throttle body in front of blower)
Run a conventional exhaust manifold.
Reduced engine bay temps (thanks to removing the turbo)

Cons:
Physical size of the blower
Belt slip can be a problem (not hard to solve)
Piping for A2A IC might be tricky
Weight (although you would be getting rid of the turbo)
Some loss of power to drive the blower

Placement could be similar to where 3240 mounted his supercharger. If you wanted it to solely boost the engine, a bigger blower would be needed. Most of the big blowers can run at over 15,000 rpm so airflow isn’t going to be a problem! The downside is pressure. You are limited to about 30psi max boost pressure. This should still be enough for pump gas.

As for the size of the supercharger needed, well I’m not sure. Here is what Whipple can supply. I think the 3.3 would be nice but would it fit?????

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

Here is 3240’s setup: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=127361

Here is a 3.3ltr blower on a LS1 with an Air to Air IC: http://www.dragonrace.com/

Finally what do you guys think????????

Thanks Chris.
i bet you dont own a evo!!! if so you need to be slapped!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichK@AMS
Food for thought:

(quoted from Nasioc)
It looks sick.
But does it drive? If so how much is it making?
If you have any more info.
Thanks.

Last edited by Jean; Jun 20, 2007 at 08:56 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jean
Lag is over rated.
read the sig
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sorry but a supercharged Evo would be an absolute waste of time and money. There would be NO WAY in hell you could supercharge a 4g63 to the stratospheric power outputs that we have reached using turbochargers. I think it would be difficult to even reach 400whp using a supercharger. So you would do all the custom research and development to fit one, and then have no power output at all. Just for the sake of having a slightly better powerband? Why bother?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Do it. Let us know how it turns out.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I'm sorry but a supercharged Evo would be an absolute waste of time and money. There would be NO WAY in hell you could supercharge a 4g63 to the stratospheric power outputs that we have reached using turbochargers. I think it would be difficult to even reach 400whp using a supercharger. So you would do all the custom research and development to fit one, and then have no power output at all. Just for the sake of having a slightly better powerband? Why bother?
ok take what your saying, but why would a supercharger notlet you make as much power as a turbo???? if the engine is powerfull enough to drive the supercharger then then whats stopping it maiking power???

come on guys teach me the error in my thinking. lol
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowoffsilver
i bet you dont own a evo!!! if so you need to be slapped!
MODS DELETE THIS THREAD PLEASE

actually i dont! and i dont see it happen any time soon!

you see im 23 and have just bought a house, its really killing me in money terms. im having to work two jobs to make ends meet. also my GF, who lives about 150 miles faway form me, is pregant! plus the insurenace over here (uk) is a total killer for young males driving fast cars!

so no mate, i dont own an evo and dont see myself being able to afford one until im old. but i still dream of the lottery win or the big job promotion and being able to own one of these amazing cars.

in the mean time i am just a dreamer.

so you going to send that slap in the post or come over here and give it me yourself????

thanks Chris.

Last edited by chuntington101; Jun 21, 2007 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RichK@AMS
Food for thought:

(quoted from Nasioc)
rick that is an amazing car! must have took ages to sort all the little bugs out. still great work on their part.

Chris.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chuntington101
ok take what your saying, but why would a supercharger notlet you make as much power as a turbo???? if the engine is powerfull enough to drive the supercharger then then whats stopping it maiking power???

come on guys teach me the error in my thinking. lol
Superchargers don't make huge numbers on smaller engines. The parasitic loss is too much as you gear it higher and higher to create more boost. The most you can hope to see on a supercharged 2.0liter is 400-450 hp (running super high compression and very precise tuning). This is the main downfall of superchargers, they give you incredibly linear power, at the cost of parasitic loss which affects the maximum power ouput. Superchargers are not known for their high power output. If you want high horsepower you go turbo.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jun 21, 2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:22 PM

man what an interesting thread, i want to know more about this twin turbo/supercharged STi!!