Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Supercharged Evo anyone???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharged Evo anyone???

I know its sounds stupid but how about using a positive displacement supercharger on an Evo???? Instant power form low rpm all the way to the top end.

Pros:
Instant boost at any rpm
Zero lag.
Still run air to air intercooler
No BOV needed (run throttle body in front of blower)
Run a conventional exhaust manifold.
Reduced engine bay temps (thanks to removing the turbo)

Cons:
Physical size of the blower
Belt slip can be a problem (not hard to solve)
Piping for A2A IC might be tricky
Weight (although you would be getting rid of the turbo)
Some loss of power to drive the blower

Placement could be similar to where 3240 mounted his supercharger. If you wanted it to solely boost the engine, a bigger blower would be needed. Most of the big blowers can run at over 15,000 rpm so airflow isn’t going to be a problem! The downside is pressure. You are limited to about 30psi max boost pressure. This should still be enough for pump gas.

As for the size of the supercharger needed, well I’m not sure. Here is what Whipple can supply. I think the 3.3 would be nice but would it fit?????

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/...sp?ProdID=1162

Here is 3240’s setup: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=127361

Here is a 3.3ltr blower on a LS1 with an Air to Air IC: http://www.dragonrace.com/

Finally what do you guys think????????

Thanks Chris.

Last edited by chuntington101; Jun 20, 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the intake mani?

And isn't a 3.3ltr blower a little large?

Turbos are coolers anyway.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eve-slow
What about the intake mani?

And isn't a 3.3ltr blower a little large?

Turbos are coolers anyway.
you could use the stock intake manifold!!! if you mounted the blower on the exhaust side of the engine (where the turbo is mounted now) then you could run the pipework down to the intercooler and then back up to the intake manifold.

yes the 3.3 is big. but then if you want high rpm and high boost you are going to need to have a big blower or you will be spinning th nuts of it at high rpm.

doing some very basic math. per RPM the engine would need 3ltr to reach 30psi. therefore with the 2.3 you would need to spin it 1.3time faster than the engine. so at 8k the blower would be doing 10400rpm. this is well within the limits so the 2.3 MIGHT work. but thats asuming everthing works at 100% and we all know thats not the case! lol

as for turbo being cooler, yes they are! but then so is istant boost and massive torque!

Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

If I'm going to add a supercharger to my Evo, it'll be to spool up a 42r...
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I think it would be a waste time and money. There is no supercharger that'll be as efficient as a turbo, not to mension that you're very confused with the 2 styles of superchargers

Originally Posted by chuntington101
Pros:
Instant boost at any rpm
intant boost..... true depending on the type of supercharger. Centrifugal you don't make peak boost untill peak RPM. A positive displacement (roots) has instant boost

Zero lag.
There is lag... it just comes in the form of rpm instead of turbo with a Centrifugal style supercharger

Originally Posted by chuntington1014455673
Still run air to air intercooler
only true for a Centrifugal supercharger. positive displacement uses a heat exchanger

No BOV needed (run throttle body in front of blower)
not true. you need a diverter valve for both styles

Last edited by evo 8 ya; Jun 20, 2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
you could use the stock intake manifold!!! if you mounted the blower on the exhaust side of the engine (where the turbo is mounted now) then you could run the pipework down to the intercooler and then back up to the intake manifold.

yes the 3.3 is big. but then if you want high rpm and high boost you are going to need to have a big blower or you will be spinning th nuts of it at high rpm.

doing some very basic math. per RPM the engine would need 3ltr to reach 30psi. therefore with the 2.3 you would need to spin it 1.3time faster than the engine. so at 8k the blower would be doing 10400rpm. this is well within the limits so the 2.3 MIGHT work. but thats asuming everthing works at 100% and we all know thats not the case! lol

as for turbo being cooler, yes they are! but then so is istant boost and massive torque!

Chris.

Its a great idea in theory, but it is too expensive to make happen. There isnt enough room between the radiator and engine for that huge blower. If it did fit the belt that would be used would be SUPER long which would make it easier to slip at high rpms. Last but not least, we dont run the displacement needed for a huge blower.

If it isnt broke, dont try to fix it.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

superchargers use power to make power, turbos are free power.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
superchargers use power to make power, turbos are free power.
No such thing as free power. Turbo's are in the exhaust path, therefore it is a restriction that cost power until it spools up. Maybe not MUCH of one, but it is one
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

How is it possible to intercool a twin screw. Its mounted after the throttle body (in between the throttle body and the head). you would need to aftercool it with cores inbetween the blower and the head.

This might sound stupid but the picture on the evo, the blower was mounted on the exhaust side, it needs to be mounted on the intake side.

Cars with much larger displacement make good power with superchargers. I dont think that will be the case with an EVO.

Last edited by Jean; Jun 20, 2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 06:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by s2kguy
No such thing as free power. Turbo's are in the exhaust path, therefore it is a restriction that cost power until it spools up. Maybe not MUCH of one, but it is one
I saw a study on one of the ls1 boards that was saying something like, on a stock ls1 it takes about 33-38hp to run it and a turbo(dont remember the size) takes about 11-14hp to push it... It was far more detailed then what I can remember with flow charts and all that.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

great idea!

Originally Posted by mudduck
If I'm going to add a supercharger to my Evo, it'll be to spool up a 42r...
Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

see the links posted to see how a TWIN SCREW was used after the throttle bodie but before the INTERCOOLER!!!

TWIN SCREW SC's will make instant (or near as damit) all the time (once they hit the min rpm) and that what im talking about. i didn't mention centrifugal SC's.

you do need a diverter valve! you are very corect on this.

Chris.

Originally Posted by evo 8 ya
I think it would be a waste time and money. There is no supercharger that'll be as efficient as a turbo, not to mension that you're very confused with the 2 styles of superchargers

intant boost..... true depending on the type of supercharger. Centrifugal you don't make peak boost untill peak RPM. A positive displacement (roots) has instant boost

There is lag... it just comes in the form of rpm instead of turbo with a Centrifugal style supercharger

only true for a Centrifugal supercharger. positive displacement uses a heat exchanger

not true. you need a diverter valve for both styles
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jean
How is it possible to intercool a twin screw. Its mounted after the throttle body (in between the throttle body and the head). you would need to aftercool it with cores inbetween the blower and the head.

This might sound stupid but the picture on the evo, the blower was mounted on the exhaust side, it needs to be mounted on the intake side.

Cars with much larger displacement make good power with superchargers. I dont think that will be the case with an EVO.
here is a link to how. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=dragon

by the way this technique has been used on other 4pots!

Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TeStUdO
Its a great idea in theory, but it is too expensive to make happen. There isnt enough room between the radiator and engine for that huge blower. If it did fit the belt that would be used would be SUPER long which would make it easier to slip at high rpms. Last but not least, we dont run the displacement needed for a huge blower.

If it isnt broke, dont try to fix it.
thanks foir the possitive coments TeStUdO.

this is the big restriction, packaging! the belt isn;t really a problem as you cna get new pullies made up to turn it into a 8,10 or even 12 rib belt, and they have been proven to beable to shift much bigger blower pushing much more air!

i will look into how much power is needed to turn the blower at any given rpm. once have the SC upto a boost speed (the speed where you start to see positive boost-you need to spin it that fast before you get good sealing around the rotors) the blower would be putting more back in than needed to drive itself.

thanks Chris.
Old Jun 20, 2007, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

here is a link to how. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ghlight=dragon

by the way this technique has been used on other 4pots!

Chris.
The link doesnt work.

Im not bashing or anything just really curious.

I know that style supercharger will make instant boost and torque. I am familiar with them on BMW's. http://activeautowerke.com/superchar...e36m3/main.php

I just wanted to know how you would intercool it and make it functional, and why it seemed to be mounted on the exhaust side on the pic.

Opinion:
For our cars i dont think you will find a better source other than a turbo for power. But it also depends on what you are looking for as well.

In other words im sure it can be done, but why? I just personally dont see enough of a gain to do so. But im more interested in making more power than instant boost etc... which would be great for daily driving.

Good luck if you decide to try it.

Last edited by Jean; Jun 20, 2007 at 07:36 AM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged Evo anyone???