Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Southbend OFE Clutch Install Pics

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:10 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Southbend OFE Clutch Install Pics

Last weekend I removed the restrictor pill from the slave cyl on my 05 Evo VIII. It was a great mod and I'd almost recommend it to anyone with the stock clutch. I say almost because it improved the clutch engagement so much that I decided to practice my launches for an upcoming drag event. After 5 launches, my technique was improved upon, but my stock clutch was not happy. Driving to work became a tedious task of delicately touching the gas pedal and shifting as early as possible in each gear. My car is mildly modified, still running stock turbo, stock injectors. It puts down about 310whp/290wtq on an uncorrected Dyno Dynamics dyno. I drive the car to work daily and consistently clock 40-50 miles each trip, sometimes much much more. Anyways, that's the long way of saying that I'm nice to the stock clutch and it lasted *exactly* 38,998 miles.

My previous car was a very well modified 97 GSX with a similar power level, and it had a Southbend DXD clutch put in it just after I bought it. I loved that clutch, and I knew since I bought my Evo that I'd be putting one in it as well. I have to say, I LOVE this one. Pedal feel is honestly stock feeling, but it is obviously more grabby. It seems as though most evo guys run ACT or Exedy clutches, and that a lot of guys jump for the twin-disc setup for no really good (IMHO) reason. A single disk is less complicated and less prone to failure at these (and much higher, to a certain extent) power levels. I searched and searched on EvoM for other people running this Southbend OFE (or even their FE) clutch but came up with zero results. I liked my old one so much that this did not bother me at all. Instead, I hope I'm opening up a door for some other people to try these things out.

I was going to be a man about it (read: *save some money* ) but when LSE Performance said they could turn it around in *a day* I basically caved. When they fit me in on a Thursday, three days after the Monday I was talking to them about ordering it(four days after I wrecked it launching), I was sold. Granted, I pushed them a little to up the date but damn it, they DELIVERED!

When I dropped the car off on Wednesday at 3:30 in the afternoon, the clutch had already arrived and I was able to check it over and snap a few pics of this fine piece of metal that I would (hopefully) not be seeing for a long time, but be indirectly touching on a daily basis. The quality is high, and the finish is excellent. I would gladly put it in my car!

I'm not trying to 'just be different' or anything, I just know that Southbend makes good clutches and I want one in my car. If anyone wants to try it out for themselves, I highly recommend placing your order. I got mine from LSE Performance, and I'm pimping their name here one sole basis of a job extraordinarily well done. Josh, Aaron, Swifty, and especially Chris: THANK YOU!!!

Now on to the motherf*cking pics!!!!

LEMME CHEX MAH MAILZ, den I be rippin dis ***** apart!

For the record: while I got out of doing the clutch on my Evo, thinking it'd save me all this time, I ended up staying up all night helping my neighbor mount and plumb a new on-demand water heater. GAHH!!!

Also for the record: I have zero affiliation with Southbend Clutch as well as LSE Performance. I just know they make good clutches and do good work. I don't have time for **** to be half-assed, cuz that's how I roll!
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:11 PM
EvoM Moderator

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

Left: stock block, stock turbo. Right: built 2.3, SC61, AEM. Who can tell the difference?

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:12 PM
EvoM Moderator

Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend had a problem with the southbend feramic clutch welding itself together.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 11:21 PM
EvoM Moderator

High res pics here:
http://www.scheides.com/gallery/evo-southbend
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:46 AM
EvoM Moderator

I've just been driving around more on this thing and I have to say I am super impressed! if it holds up to the abuse and power I'm going to throw at it I will be very very happy!
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm i may go w/ this myself. i had a southbend on my supra and i LOVED it.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Your stocker doesnt look that bad. Mine was down to the rivets on the disc.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 08:26 AM

Thanks for the shout-out Chris, glad you were happy.
I forgot you were taking pics back there, the shop is filthy!

We've had tremendous success with southbend, but yes the Feramic can sometimes weld itself to the flywheel.
What most people neglect to inform the customer (or forget period) is that the feramic material absorbs heat and transfer it. It is not a clutch you want to slip or ride. But for the price to holding power ratio, they are top notch. Its no twin disc, but the pedal pressure and easy engagement are really nice.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:33 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
be careful with letting those wheel upraights hang by the brake line and wires!!

otherwise nice info

cb
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:15 PM
EvoM Moderator

Yea, I had to double-check those lines after everything was back together, but all was well.

Still breaking it in, but this clutch is awesome!
Old Jun 24, 2007, 07:27 PM
EvoM Moderator

Whew, I got in about 235 GREAT break-in miles since I picked the car up Thursday night! This clutch is a dream to drive, and I CANNOT wait to start laying down the pedal again and seeing this thing hold good power!

I have a few more power mods coming in this week...