Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

mods without a tune???

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No tune needed for those mods. You will get noticable power gain without it and you car will run fine.

Of course a tune on just a stock evo is a big difference. So tuning is always good.

Bottom line is you don't need one for the car to run fine!
Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ted B
I haven't yet tweaked the car for best part throttle efficiency. When I do, it will deliver 400+ miles per tank. There is no conflict between tuning for best part throttle efficiency and max power. Setting closed/open loop thresholds properly is part of the key.

Aside from given big power potential, a large turbo keeps the engine from unnecessarily generating boost in part throttle operation.

The present parts selection, cam timing, etc., I'm using all improve VE in the rpm range where 75-80mph falls in 5th.

And lastly, driving like an adult contributes considerably.
Driving habits play a huge role...I drive hwy at 3k in 6th steadily. But then again, I have a smaller turbo which is just shy of boosting depending on throttle load, and when I pass I always spool. The green will be about the same too. I'll see on my next ecu tune what else Chris can do to aid in the quest for mileage AND power.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

well i didn't know gas mileage was going to come up but thats cool, mine is real bad i don't even think im going to get over 200 a tank and i drive like my grandma. ANYWAY, the reason i didn't want a tune is because when i bought my evo new a few days ago the owner of the dealership said if i get a reflash or tune they aren't going to cover my warranty at all, well the one that came with the car. so i was trying to avoid that but fill me in.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 03:17 PM
BBS
Evolved Member

I don't get how you guys are increasing gas mileage with a tune? A tune alters the fuel/timing in open loop fuel delivery. Everything else is closed loop (which tries to hit 14.7 as much as possible.)
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well...we can make another thread for that...I probably shouldn't have changed the conversation to go that way.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 04:26 PM
Account Disabled

quite a few of my customers reported getting better gas mileage, it has to be the fact that the WOT AFR is where it should be now.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

So back to my question of mods and a tune and my warranty. Will getting a reflash make my warranty completely void or do i need to find a better dealership to go to??? should my warranty hold me back from modding???
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
well i didn't know gas mileage was going to come up but thats cool, mine is real bad i don't even think im going to get over 200 a tank and i drive like my grandma. ANYWAY, the reason i didn't want a tune is because when i bought my evo new a few days ago the owner of the dealership said if i get a reflash or tune they aren't going to cover my warranty at all, well the one that came with the car. so i was trying to avoid that but fill me in.

That leaves you in two scenarios:

1) Car has no aftermarket parts

Just reflash back to stock if want warranty work.

2) Car HAS parts requiring tune

The parts would have already voided your warranty so it doesnt matter what tune you are running.

I would just mod away, it seems as though Mitsu is trying to find a way to weasel there way out of every warranty claim concerning the evo, even stock one's. Down here in backwood's AL I went to the dealer to fix my clearcoat on the wing, they did, it was the first time they had done this at that dealership, 3 weeks later i sent my buddy up there they refused to do it. They also tried to tell me that it was my fault my wing had bubbled because I waxed it. vroom vroom

They also refused my Brembo's saying that the tire polish crap messed up the clearcoat on my caliper's.... I wish I had time and money to refute this...

Last edited by skywestseth; Jun 23, 2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
How the hell are you getting that kind of mileage?!! That means you were beyond 25mpg. I just now got 25mpg and that was at 280 miles at around 11 gallons of fuel--AFTER an AMS tune. You must have some great gas quality and some grandchildren!
LOL, no grandchildren, I also drive normally, not insane nor like a caddy but I do feel that my evo is a lucky one that seems to get good gas mileage.

Originally Posted by MRevo2006
But to the original post -- get the tune when you get the cash to do it. Modding a car and not adjusting the ECU to accomodate for the changes is just not smart. Why mod at all if you're not going to mod correctly? Do it once--do it right.
+1

But also not saying to get a tune after every part, it would be silly to get a tune after a TBE, then again after intake+hard pipes...

I have my TBE now, I want meth + cams simultaneously then tune after that...

I would say that have a tune in the works somewhere in your mod plan is the key phrase...
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by skywestseth
My gas mileage was not that bad after the install, i was getting about 300-310 miles per tank and now i get 260-285 a tank

I am 100% sure it doesnt run to its full potential, but it did run quite faster at the strip.
wow I dropped all the way to 160-190 miles per tank

I ran with an exhaust without a tune for awhile had no problems other than my car would boost hard at full boost. After my tune it didnt boost as hard.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:44 PM

no tune

you have to be a idiot to have a tbe plus and not a tune , send your ecu to dyno f lash and you will see a big difference
Old Jun 23, 2007, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

you can drive around perfectly fine with those mods...i ran tbe.megan mani,greddy ic with piping,mbc without a tune and still drove fine and ran 12s all day..a tune will help out a lot but you can drive it around fine until you get the money/time for a tune...
Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:07 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by shuttlegoose
So back to my question of mods and a tune and my warranty. Will getting a reflash make my warranty completely void or do i need to find a better dealership to go to??? should my warranty hold me back from modding???
I have quite a few customers that simply roll back to the stock ROM/parts when they go in for warranty work.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:14 AM
Evolved Member

why would an exhaust give you worse gas mileage? i thought that an exhaust would lean you out??
Old Jun 24, 2007, 05:18 AM
Account Disabled

an exhaust upgrade will allow you to move more air through the engine, so you'll start hitting higher load columns that have more fuel and less timing, so it's quite possible that you will see worse performance at low RPM and worse fuel economy.

and this is precisely why you should be tuned after you install new mods.

Quick Reply: mods without a tune???