Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full-race's new toys

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Geoff , is this a Honda head thing or is it a typical for well developed TS turbo engines to have the torque lines closely follow the Hp ones . My guess is the large VE gains from the divided system and the benefits of four pots vs more pots .

Cheers A .

BTW was the "37R" a BB P/67 type thing in a T04 housing ?
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by LilRico
common, lets get a EVO test done... Please! I want to see those results bad....
tomorrow we should have some Twinscroll 30R results, assuming all goes well

Originally Posted by jbrown
How is it that he made 640hp on a GT-35 and only 560 hp on a GT-37?
To be honest, what i was really trying to show here was the spoolup differences between the turbos, the peak power on the dyno plots doesnt matter. Once the wastegate opens the torque curve levels off. what we should be focusing on is the activity while the wastegate is closed (the spool)

Originally Posted by Ted B
Geoff, can you give us an idea of boost pressures? Fuel? Were they the same in all tests? I ask because the GT35R with the larger hotside gave better power figures than the PT67R, which doesn't really happen when all else is equal (not that it really makes much difference here).

I find it amusing however that the GT4094R with big TS housing outspooled both of the others, then mopped the floor with them power-wise.
well all the above tests used C16.

here are the results of the cam test we did today using the 4094R and C16 at 17 psi. the solid line is some big cams, dotted line is the stock ones.

and the boost plot

Below is the 93 octane plot with the stock cams at 14 psi

Originally Posted by Jasil
I'm impressed big time with the graph you posted Geoff, but the results from this EVO poster aren't as impressive to me. Here is the link to the thread too the post is on the last page. I asked him to post his full setup because I would expect a 85lb wheel to put down more than 685whp.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=253110
yeah i saw that post too, i think he has some turbo setup issues, hopefully he can get back to us with more details, i have a few ideas

Originally Posted by discopotato03
Hi Geoff , is this a Honda head thing or is it a typical for well developed TS turbo engines to have the torque lines closely follow the Hp ones . My guess is the large VE gains from the divided system and the benefits of four pots vs more pots . BTW was the "37R" a BB P/67 type thing in a T04 housing ?
honda heads just work really really well. and massive cams with the valvetrain to handle high rpm are a bonus too, too bad they arent awd!!

the 37R is a bb p/67 in T04S compressor hsg and T31 .63 4 bolt turbine hsg

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Aug 21, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2007, 11:18 PM
Account Disabled

oh i forgot to mention one more thing, with the new cams the car did 690whp at 23 psi (C16 was used for this)

and the boost plot

the clutchmasters twindisc was slipping after this and the customer said he doesnt have enough $$ for a new clutch so it was left like this

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Aug 22, 2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Geof, will you have any results for a TW 35r? I'm really looking forward to that particular turbo since i'm really considering going bigger for next year.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Geoff. You can get divided turbine housings for the P trim turbine wheel. I'm sure you know this but at the same time I didnt/dont know if you did
Old Aug 22, 2007, 07:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by alpha
Geoff. You can get divided turbine housings for the P trim turbine wheel. I'm sure you know this but at the same time I didnt/dont know if you did
the thing i dont really like about the 76 trim "p trim" turbine wheel is that while it is a decent wheel, it doesnt do some of the things that the 10 blade GT turbines can do... its a good turbine for sure, but GT is better

Originally Posted by Jspec EVO VIII
Geof, will you have any results for a TW 35r? I'm really looking forward to that particular turbo since i'm really considering going
bigger for next year.
we will have results for it, but this is the order we plan on testing:
1) twinscroll 30R
2) twinscroll 40R
3) twinscroll 35R
4) twinscroll 42R
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
IMHO I would make the 35R 1st, that seems to be the way to go for a us Street Turbo stock Bottom end guys. A faster spooling 35R would absolutely rule.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
IMHO I would make the 35R 1st, that seems to be the way to go for a us Street Turbo stock Bottom end guys. A faster spooling 35R would absolutely rule.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

If the all around powerband is that much better than i would tend to think the twin 37r would be the shizzle with a 2.3

I love reading about new and better stuff....keeps my work day going!
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Man...690 WHP.....How the hell to you get traction with that...LOL. I had a hard enough time trying to keep traction with a 350 WHP Integra GSR
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Geoff thats Girls boost when I get my 4088TS from you I will be running 37psi
look forward to when my kit comes

Mark
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
^ That's because that 'Teg has only two drive wheels. We got four tires clawing at the pavement.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How efficient is the 40R say at 30PSI vs. say a 35R or a 30R? WHat is that turbos "Sweet Spot"?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
If the all around powerband is that much better than i would tend to think the twin 37r would be the shizzle with a 2.3

I love reading about new and better stuff....keeps my work day going!
I guess you didn't read any of the posts where Geoff said the 40r was a better choice than the 37r in this setup.

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
I really think the 40R is the turbo that will be the one to use. Its basically an ultra efficient 37R, but becuase its twinscroll it spools even better than a 35R. It comes into boost so smoothly and so strong that even at low rpm it is very responsive and doesnt feel like a 700+whp turbo, even though it definately is.
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
On one of my personal cars i went from a GT37R to a 40R, the difference was night and day. The 37R was dead until boost hit, then it TOOK OFF. huge power increase in a cpl of rpms. The Twinscroll 40R had great power at lowish rpms, and when you rev the engine is just jumped. As you started driving it it would go right into boost, nothing at all like the single scroll 37R.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Nez136
If the all around powerband is that much better than i would tend to think the twin 37r would be the shizzle with a 2.3. I love reading about new and better stuff....keeps my work day going!
happy to distract you from your actual work responsibilities <im sure your boss loves evoM>

while the 37R will work well in a twinscroll configuration, my belief is that the (2) GT40Rs are better choices. The GT4088R is actually a smaller turbo than the 37R, but it has a 10 blade turbine wheel which is more efficient than that of the 11 blade 37R turbine. The GT4094R is a slightly larger turbo than the 37R and it still has the same 10 blade turbine wheel, but is capable of more power due to the larger flow of the compressor combined with increased turbine efficiency.

Originally Posted by Turbo Kyle
Man...690 WHP.....How the hell to you get traction with that...LOL. I had a hard enough time trying to keep traction with a 350 WHP Integra GSR
boost by gear actually works exceptionally well with the Kpro system. as long as there are some hot/sticky 25" or 26" slicks we will be able to put some of the power down, even if its just 7 psi in 1st gear, 11 psi in 2nd gear, 20 psi in 3rd, etc...

Originally Posted by Mark S
Geoff thats Girls boost when I get my 4088TS from you I will be running 37psi look forward to when my kit comes
yeah but thats some masculine power/torque for the girlish boost! haha

i hear what youre saying, but we do have our reasons! sorry for the wait

How efficient is the 40R say at 30PSI vs. say a 35R or a 30R? WHat is that turbos "Sweet Spot"?
the sweet spot of the turbo is really dictated by its compressor map. Every turbo will have a different compressor map and a correspondingly different sweet spot. Once you learn to understand the compressor map you will have a much better understanding of turbocharger dynamics and how the entire system works as a whole

The new 2007/2008 Garrett catalog has an exceptional intro to turbo sizing and how to properly work with compressor maps on pgs 8-11. If you have some time and a good calculator (or an excel spreadsheet) you can really learn a lot. Check it out if you have some time. Id be happy to help answer any questions you have once you start plugging in #s and working with the maps:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...007Catalog.pdf

Quick Reply: Full-race's new toys