Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full-race's new toys

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I can't give any direct info for a 4088.

What I can tell you however is the difference in transient response of a PT67R with divided T4 0.7 A/R hotside is starkly superior to the smaller GT35R with conventional 0.63 A/R T3 hotside.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
By transient response do you mean how quickly the turbo spools?

So a PT67R w/Divided-T4 spools quicker than GT35R w/T3?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
Say "I" if you think Full-Race needs to build an EVO and use all their parts and race against the Big Dogs....

It is easier said than done. To run with the Big Boys it takes a ton of mulla. The guys that try sometimes give up because it gets expensive.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 11:47 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RSGuy
I can't wait to see some results with this kit!!!! A twin-scroll GT4088R paired up to a 2.3L stroker would likely be a BEAST on the streets!!!! This would be a great way to go for someone who wants insane power with good response. Geoff, the EVO community salutes you for your hard work!
im in total agreement, the 40R is going to be a monster. Dont salute us yet, we have to prove ourselves first

Originally Posted by Rcebowl
hey thanks Geoff for answer all the questions! can't want to see the test results!
i've been super excited ever since you 1st talked about doing a twinscroll manifold!! Hey i was wondering do you have any more pictures you could show us? =D
there will be a bunch of pics on our website as soon as our web guys upload them. We have two cars in the shop right now getting all the final details wrapped up. Im in NJ and all my other pics are on my AZ computer. sorry for the wait, but its coming

Originally Posted by dangger25
I called Full-Race yesterday to see if iget any kind of info from them. He was telling me some of the results from the turbos that they have tested.... They definetly didnt want to rush anything, and make sure its all done right before they relase anything. take your time and make it perfect! I cant wait for it, i'm sure the throttle response with kit will just be insane.
Thanks for calling. we are definately making a big effort to get things to 100% before the kits hit the market, but when the kits are ready, the performance should be excellent. Out of curiosity, do you know who you spoke with?

Here are some dynos of the 3071s and 3076s, both twinscroll and single scroll.

The solid line is with the twinscroll 3071R, the dotted line is with the singlescroll 3076R. There is about a 20whp/wtq gain by 2000rpm, a 30whp/wtq gain by 3000rpm, and a 100whp/wtq gain by 4000rpm. It makes 200 ft lbs @ 3600 rpm, 200hp at 4100 rpm, 400ftlbs at 4600 rpm and 400hp at 5400rpm. Unfortunately twincsrolls greatest benefit of exceptional throttle response isnt somethign that is blatantly obvious on a WOT steady state dyno plot. I have the before and after boost plot, acceleration plot and distance/time if anyoen wants to see

Full-Race drift team driver Forrest **** recently swapped over to the twinscroll 3071R from the singlescroll 3076R and after taking 2nd at the last 3 NOPI drift events, he said the twinscroll is so much more reqponsive and so much quicker that he has a huge advantage over all the other cars out there. If he could avoid crashing in the finals he would probably be doing better lol

this is a twinscroll 3076R dyno plot. good for comparison to the above single scroll 3076R and twinscroll 3071R.

Originally Posted by chuntington101
is there much differance in the 2.5 outlet compeard to the 3.5 one??? what is the max power you can pucsh out the smaller one???
honetsly the big difference is that the 3.5" is absurdly large. On all the 42R builds/installs that we do perform, we actually cut the 3.5" vband off completely and weld on a machine 3" tube, effectively makeing it a traditioanl 3" outlet so you can just use a coupler/clamp.

the biggest turbo you can fit in the 2.5" outlet is the GT4094R, and that can do 800-850whp, with a full length radiator

Originally Posted by Jasil
We'll see I'm much more interested in the bigger wheels. I don't see a divided T4 spooling any faster than a single T3. A 4088R might be good for 50whp over a 37R and I say might because I haven't seen one dyno higher than a 37R yet on a EVO, but it should be good for a little more. Either way I cant wait for these kits to be done and can't wait for any preliminary results. I see a Full-Race kit in my future.
Its going to be interesting, but im very confident the 4088R will blow the pants off any 37R. I personally experienced this as i have a car that had our T3/T67 HO DBB (same thing as a 37R) and went to a twinscroll 4088R. The 37R felt lazy and laggy before it got up into boost, and as soon as it got there, all hell broke loose. The 4088R on the other hand has a much stronger low end, the engine revs like its a street bike, and the top end was stronger with torque carrying even better.

i dont think you will be disappointed

Originally Posted by scorke
Divided T4's are and will spool quicker than a BIG wheeled t3. Twin scroll>single
in many cases the T4's boost threshold might be higher, but the actual powerband of the Twinscroll T4 will just obliterate a single scroll t3. When that t4 is at 15 psi its making a whole lot more than the t3 did at 25!

Originally Posted by Ted B
It does. There's no comparison.
as one of the only twinscroll Garrett guys on the forum, speaking from experience, i agree with you 100%
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

geoff, if it's ok with you i can post the prototype pics up, i have them on my comp.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by crcain
By transient response do you mean how quickly the turbo spools?

So a PT67R w/Divided-T4 spools quicker than GT35R w/T3?
Yes, and yes.

However, what is most noticeable is the fact that the divided setup has the turbine wheel spinning faster at ALL throttle positions. What this does is make the divided setup much more responsive to changes in throttle position (transient response), which makes the car feel torquier and quicker to jump. This is not something that can be measured on a static, WOT dyno pull, but it is darn sure felt by whomever is driving it.

Last edited by Ted B; Jul 5, 2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

great info, can't wait to see some numbers, and efficiency on the vertical flow intercooler.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 02:01 PM

After seeing the work that they did on one of my friends RSX's, I'm sure you remember Jun's car Geoff, I will be purchasing more than one item for them here in a few weeks.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Yes, and yes.

However, what is most noticeable is the fact that the divided setup has the turbine wheel spinning faster at ALL throttle positions. What this does is make the divided setup much more responsive to changes in throttle position (transient response), which makes the car feel torquier and quicker to jump. This is not something that can be measured on a static, WOT dyno pull, but it is darn sure felt by whomever is driving it.
So anyway buying a T3 single scroll GT35R right now is not making a good decision?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 02:38 PM
EvoM Guru

Following my first-hand experiences with a couple of twin scroll, big turbo apps, I'll never go back to a regular T3. No way.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Geoff: Does this mean I have to upgrade in the winter?

Can you please tell me what I could expect after an upgrade to the 4088R?
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:17 PM

The guy that I spoke with at Full Race never gave me his, that I can remember at least. But none the less he was definetly helpfull in answering my question. If it helps any he talked kind of quietly on the phone, lol.
Old Jul 5, 2007, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Geoff, a couple of questions in regards to the above dyno charts. It looks like the twin scroll setups give up a little bit of topend, is this the expected behavior?

I will be very interested to see how a twin-scroll GT35R or 4088 stacks up to a single and twin scroll 3076 on pump-gas...

l8r)
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The twin scroll honestly seems to have zero negatives, IMO. Well, provided you ignore the cost difference. More top end, faster spool, better mid range power, higher efficiency, amazing boost response. It's got it all. Here is a friends car that has seen a divided and undivided T4 setup on it within the last few months.

http://iwsti.com/blogs/007STI/
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...5701244f7f.htm

Here is a comparison between a divided and undivided GT42 setup. It is not a direct swap, as a few things were changed, but I think it shows the general idea of the benefits of the divided setups.

GT4294R setup (run 39):
Undivided manifold
2.45L (EJ25)
28.5 PSI

GT4202 setup (run 19)
2.6L
slightly shorter IC piping (thanks Geoff)
29 PSI

Faster spool with the BIGGER NON-BALL BEARING turbo then the undivided ball bearing turbo! Sure, it's a 2.45L vs. 2.6L, but I don't think that makes for 200HP gains in the mid range. I think the displacement and shorter piping likely just made up for the ball bearing center section and larger compressor on the spool up. The real gains, IMO came from the divided manifold setup. The curve is altered pretty drastically. Much better torque through the mid range, less torque loss above the torque peak. Smoother power delivery. On the street, the two I don't think the two can even be compared. On the divided setup, the turbo gets noisy at like 3000 RPMs. It screams and is just waiting for you to get on it at part throttle. Hit the gas and it comes on fast, hard and yet SMOOTH. The undivided setups seem to be completely gutless below about 4500 RPM then came on like a switch. It makes the car feel laggy and then violently fast. The divided setup is a whole different animal. There is instant boost, even if it's just 2-3 PSI, it's boost and it makes the car get to the real boost threshold nice and quick while ditching that switch like feel and perceived lag. The car doesn't feel as violent, but when you see the speedo passing 120mph like it's nothing, it puts it into perspective of just how fast the car is moving. Even if they get to maximum boost at the same RPM, the divided setup gets to full boost quicker in a time sense because of the boost it does get below the threshold and it is a night and day difference when you are driving the car. The video even shows it. If you've ever driven an undivided T4, you know that rolling into the throttle in 1st gear is about the strangest thing ever. Typically, it feels like a geo metro as the motor accelerates just fast enough to not let the turbo spool up. Not on this car. Hit the gas and before you know it, you are snapping off the rev limiter in 1st gear. Lag it on into 2nd and before you have time to think about it, you are back on the limiter. A normal undivided setup, toss a slow shift at it and half the gear is spent trying to get the turbo going. Toss it into third and you have the back end of an AWD car running 275 wide M/T drag radials breaking lose and scrambling for traction... Toss it without a quick shift on an undivided and you never get that nasty torque surge that caused all that tire spinning fun.

Geoff. Any chance you can hook up a good divided T4 GT3582R turbo? I want something to spool like a 50 trim yet destroy it on top end. Just a nice "stock like" feeling car with enough power to take down a new Z06. You know, something nice and simple.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 6, 2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 02:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The twin scroll honestly seems to have zero negatives, IMO. Well, provided you ignore the cost difference. More top end, faster spool, better mid range power, higher efficiency, amazing boost response. It's got it all. Here is a friends car that has seen a divided and undivided T4 setup on it within the last few months.

http://iwsti.com/blogs/007STI/
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...5701244f7f.htm

Here is a comparison between a divided and undivided GT42 setup. It is not a direct swap, as a few things were changed, but I think it shows the general idea of the benefits of the divided setups.

GT4294R setup (run 39):
Undivided manifold
2.45L (EJ25)
28.5 PSI

GT4202 setup (run 19)
2.6L
slightly shorter IC piping (thanks Geoff)
29 PSI

Faster spool with the BIGGER NON-BALL BEARING turbo then the undivided ball bearing turbo! Sure, it's a 2.45L vs. 2.6L, but I don't think that makes for 200HP gains in the mid range. I think the displacement and shorter piping likely just made up for the ball bearing center section and larger compressor on the spool up. The real gains, IMO came from the divided manifold setup. The curve is altered pretty drastically. Much better torque through the mid range, less torque loss above the torque peak. Smoother power delivery. On the street, the two I don't think the two can even be compared. On the divided setup, the turbo gets noisy at like 3000 RPMs. It screams and is just waiting for you to get on it at part throttle. Hit the gas and it comes on fast, hard and yet SMOOTH. The undivided setups seem to be completely gutless below about 4500 RPM then came on like a switch. It makes the car feel laggy and then violently fast. The divided setup is a whole different animal. There is instant boost, even if it's just 2-3 PSI, it's boost and it makes the car get to the real boost threshold nice and quick while ditching that switch like feel and perceived lag. The car doesn't feel as violent, but when you see the speedo passing 120mph like it's nothing, it puts it into perspective of just how fast the car is moving. Even if they get to maximum boost at the same RPM, the divided setup gets to full boost quicker in a time sense because of the boost it does get below the threshold and it is a night and day difference when you are driving the car. The video even shows it. If you've ever driven an undivided T4, you know that rolling into the throttle in 1st gear is about the strangest thing ever. Typically, it feels like a geo metro as the motor accelerates just fast enough to not let the turbo spool up. Not on this car. Hit the gas and before you know it, you are snapping off the rev limiter in 1st gear. Lag it on into 2nd and before you have time to think about it, you are back on the limiter. A normal undivided setup, toss a slow shift at it and half the gear is spent trying to get the turbo going. Toss it into third and you have the back end of an AWD car running 275 wide M/T drag radials breaking lose and scrambling for traction... Toss it without a quick shift on an undivided and you never get that nasty torque surge that caused all that tire spinning fun.

Geoff. Any chance you can hook up a good divided T4 GT3582R turbo? I want something to spool like a 50 trim yet destroy it on top end. Just a nice "stock like" feeling car with enough power to take down a new Z06. You know, something nice and simple.
Your friends car is sweet
I love the look of his engine bay.

Quick Reply: Full-race's new toys