Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full-race's new toys

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry guys, geoff kindly asked me not to post up the pics since the final kit changed since the prototype pics were taken, if it's even better now i'm going to drop a load in my pants cuz the prototype pics were insane when i first saw them.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The twin scroll honestly seems to have zero negatives, IMO. Well, provided you ignore the cost difference. More top end, faster spool, better mid range power, higher efficiency, amazing boost response. It's got it all. Here is a friends car that has seen a divided and undivided T4 setup on it within the last few months.

http://iwsti.com/blogs/007STI/
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/d...5701244f7f.htm

Here is a comparison between a divided and undivided GT42 setup. It is not a direct swap, as a few things were changed, but I think it shows the general idea of the benefits of the divided setups.

GT4294R setup (run 39):
Undivided manifold
2.45L (EJ25)
28.5 PSI

GT4202 setup (run 19)
2.6L
slightly shorter IC piping (thanks Geoff)
29 PSI

Faster spool with the BIGGER NON-BALL BEARING turbo then the undivided ball bearing turbo! Sure, it's a 2.45L vs. 2.6L, but I don't think that makes for 200HP gains in the mid range. I think the displacement and shorter piping likely just made up for the ball bearing center section and larger compressor on the spool up. The real gains, IMO came from the divided manifold setup. The curve is altered pretty drastically. Much better torque through the mid range, less torque loss above the torque peak. Smoother power delivery. On the street, the two I don't think the two can even be compared. On the divided setup, the turbo gets noisy at like 3000 RPMs. It screams and is just waiting for you to get on it at part throttle. Hit the gas and it comes on fast, hard and yet SMOOTH. The undivided setups seem to be completely gutless below about 4500 RPM then came on like a switch. It makes the car feel laggy and then violently fast. The divided setup is a whole different animal. There is instant boost, even if it's just 2-3 PSI, it's boost and it makes the car get to the real boost threshold nice and quick while ditching that switch like feel and perceived lag. The car doesn't feel as violent, but when you see the speedo passing 120mph like it's nothing, it puts it into perspective of just how fast the car is moving. Even if they get to maximum boost at the same RPM, the divided setup gets to full boost quicker in a time sense because of the boost it does get below the threshold and it is a night and day difference when you are driving the car. The video even shows it. If you've ever driven an undivided T4, you know that rolling into the throttle in 1st gear is about the strangest thing ever. Typically, it feels like a geo metro as the motor accelerates just fast enough to not let the turbo spool up. Not on this car. Hit the gas and before you know it, you are snapping off the rev limiter in 1st gear. Lag it on into 2nd and before you have time to think about it, you are back on the limiter. A normal undivided setup, toss a slow shift at it and half the gear is spent trying to get the turbo going. Toss it into third and you have the back end of an AWD car running 275 wide M/T drag radials breaking lose and scrambling for traction... Toss it without a quick shift on an undivided and you never get that nasty torque surge that caused all that tire spinning fun.

Geoff. Any chance you can hook up a good divided T4 GT3582R turbo? I want something to spool like a 50 trim yet destroy it on top end. Just a nice "stock like" feeling car with enough power to take down a new Z06. You know, something nice and simple.

man thats a cool car!

any reason why he went no BB core??? also when is he getting full boost?? 5k ish???

LostSolVTEC, thats a bumer! but you have to understand why. i mean Buschur mentioned that they where testing a new HTA GT35r and tere was an up roar when they said they wheren't sure about pricing and avalibility.

Full Race you are doing it right by getting everything ready brfore you start showing off. this is where alot of companies go wrong, although they are just trying to be honnest and show people what they have found (they are car nuts like us all really). i have seen conpanies that have held back and not given dates or picks and it allways ends better that way.

thanks chris.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chuntington101
LostSolVTEC, thats a bumer! but you have to understand why. i mean Buschur mentioned that they where testing a new HTA GT35r and tere was an up roar when they said they wheren't sure about pricing and avalibility.

Full Race you are doing it right by getting everything ready brfore you start showing off. this is where alot of companies go wrong, although they are just trying to be honnest and show people what they have found (they are car nuts like us all really). i have seen conpanies that have held back and not given dates or picks and it allways ends better that way.

thanks chris.
couldn't have said it any better!
Old Jul 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
Account Disabled

SO are those the prices on the new kits that are posted???
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:16 AM

When does the Gt4088 kit come out?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
man thats a cool car!

any reason why he went no BB core??? also when is he getting full boost?? 5k ish???
Despite the general appearance, the car is really budget oriented. He's done all the work on his own, besides the motor build, so the car has been fairly inexpensive (as inexpensive as a GT4202 '04 STI can be anyway). The non-BB turbo was like $800 cheaper. That was the ONLY driving factor of not going to the GT4202R.

By 5k on the street in any gear, you are holding onto the roll cage for dear life. I don't know if it's at full boost by then, but in the lower gears, it's breaking traction by then.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Geoff

Does any part of the kit sit closer to the rad than your normal GT35 kit.

Mark
Old Jul 6, 2007, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that manifold looks REALLY good.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Just to probe a bit, are you guys going to have something running on the 25th? I would REALLY like to see what this is capable of...
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Cant wait for some good news!
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
Account Disabled

hey guys -- thanks for all the discussion. we've been SUPER busy lately, so im sorry i havent been able to get on here as much in the past few days

Originally Posted by Reine
Geoff: Does this mean I have to upgrade in the winter?
Can you please tell me what I could expect after an upgrade to the 4088R?
Hi Reine -- reread the description below, this is exactly what you could expect

On the street, the two I don't think the two can even be compared. On the divided setup, the turbo gets noisy at like 3000 RPMs. It screams and is just waiting for you to get on it at part throttle. Hit the gas and it comes on fast, hard and yet SMOOTH. The undivided setups seem to be completely gutless below about 4500 RPM then came on like a switch. It makes the car feel laggy and then violently fast. The divided setup is a whole different animal. There is instant boost, even if it's just 2-3 PSI, it's boost and it makes the car get to the real boost threshold nice and quick while ditching that switch like feel and perceived lag. The car doesn't feel as violent, but when you see the speedo passing 120mph like it's nothing, it puts it into perspective of just how fast the car is moving. Even if they get to maximum boost at the same RPM, the divided setup gets to full boost quicker in a time sense because of the boost it does get below the threshold and it is a night and day difference when you are driving the car. The video even shows it. If you've ever driven an undivided T4, you know that rolling into the throttle in 1st gear is about the strangest thing ever. Typically, it feels like a geo metro as the motor accelerates just fast enough to not let the turbo spool up. Not on this car. Hit the gas and before you know it, you are snapping off the rev limiter in 1st gear. Lag it on into 2nd and before you have time to think about it, you are back on the limiter. A normal undivided setup, toss a slow shift at it and half the gear is spent trying to get the turbo going.
and of course what ted wrote...

Originally Posted by Ted B
what is most noticeable is the fact that the divided setup has the turbine wheel spinning faster at ALL throttle positions. What this does is make the divided setup much more responsive to changes in throttle position (transient response), which makes the car feel torquier and quicker to jump. This is not something that can be measured on a static, WOT dyno pull, but it is darn sure felt by whomever is driving it.
thats an accurate description. For a given throttle position the turbine wheel (and compressor wheel, correspondingly) are both spinning faster. For this to occur it simply means the system is more efficient: more exhaust energy is being converted into mechanical energy (spinning the turbo)

Originally Posted by crcain
So anyway buying a T3 single scroll GT35R right now is not making a good decision?
i think that is an accurate statement

Originally Posted by Ted B
Following my first-hand experiences with a couple of twin scroll, big turbo apps, I'll never go back to a regular T3. No way.
unless there was a reallly good reason, twinscroll performance dwarfs the performance of a standard single scroll t3 or t4. its no comparison. we have worked really hard redesigning every turbokit we manufacture to be twinscroll. Single scroll just doesnt compare, it feels boring

Originally Posted by 98tsi
After seeing the work that they did on one of my friends RSX's, I'm sure you remember Jun's car Geoff, I will be purchasing more than one item for them here in a few weeks.
Jun is a good guy, his car came out sick! A 650whp street honda is no joke, the top end on that setup is just so strong. thanks alot for the support!

Geoff. Any chance you can hook up a good divided T4 GT3582R turbo? I want something to spool like a 50 trim yet destroy it on top end. Just a nice "stock like" feeling car with enough power to take down a new Z06. You know, something nice and simple.
Unfortunately the T4 gt35Rs are almost impossible to get anymore. Additionally, the turbine inlets were undersized from true t4. it was a very strange concoction. The turbonetics F1-35R is supposed to fill that void. here is a pic comparing the T4 GT35R to the Turbonetics F1-35R

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
I will be very interested to see how a twin-scroll GT35R or 4088 stacks up to a single and twin scroll 3076 on pump-gas
The best comparison is of course to have a single scroll setup, then change to a twinscroll (i think this is what Ted B did). This way you REALLY understand the difference. Unfortunately this is honestly a waste of money and time, so the best thing to do is to simply get a twinscroll setup in the first place...

thanks alot chris. We hope to change some minds about Full-Race's evo kits. alot of people have had some not too good things to say about our kits, so we're working to set the record straight

Originally Posted by richysevo8
When does the Gt4088 kit come out?
the kits are in production now. If you are interested in one the best thing to do is to call the sales office and speak with Lloyd or Aaron (sales managers). They can give you lead times and pricing. any tech questions i am the person to ask

Originally Posted by Mark S
Geoff

Does any part of the kit sit closer to the rad than your normal GT35 kit.

Mark
the kit has been redesigned to provide much more clearance from the rad than our older kits. That was our #1 complaint, so we obviously wanted to change that. heres a pic showing how much extra clearance we have over a PWR radiator

Originally Posted by vwjeff
that manifold looks REALLY good.
thanks, it was REALLY hard to design

Originally Posted by feldguy
Just to probe a bit, are you guys going to have something running on the 25th? I would REALLY like to see what this is capable of...
we're working on having a 30R and a 40R twinscroll kit ready for the event

thanks for all the discussion

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jul 9, 2007 at 06:01 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
holy moly the kit looks nice now

is there a such thing as a twin scroll 50 trim hahaha
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by trinydex

I wish.

I have a blank check waiting for the right setup...
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:54 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by trinydex
holy moly the kit looks nice now

thats basically what a twinscroll GT30R is -- except the 30R is more efficient and has better compressor housings.

edit: if you reallllllllly wanted a twinscroll 50 trim, ITS can do it for you, but imo it wont perform as well as the 30R, and it would likely cost the same

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jul 9, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Is there any way to get a 35R going? I just don't understand why this hasn't been done sooner, this is the way to go for sure.

Quick Reply: Full-race's new toys