Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Turbo Kit Updates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wilson1
So which tiwnscroll kit is best for road race on a 2.2 L?

3076, gt35, or 3071?
The driver mod is.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3076, gt35, or 3071?
the Gt35r would make a killer setup on a 2.2.

CHris.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

3076, gt35, or 3071?
its hard to say without knowing the track and the driver. Its all depends...

If its a tight twisty track, 3071. if its a little bigger with some decent straights a 3076 is a good option. if you want crazy top end, the 35R would be really powerful, but could be a little much for circuit use.

I know the road racers i work with seem to think the 35R is too much turbo, although many others would disagree
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think a 3071 would have enough flow for a 2.2 at 8krpm. I'd expect a 3076 to be pretty sweet though (as long as you have the right cams).
Old Jul 16, 2007, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Jeff, what cams are tested on your setup, and recommended? HKS 272, 280, cosworth M2?
Since the whole twin-scoll turbokit setup is optimized, what kind of increase spooling will we noticed? 500 rpm soon?
The turbokit will come with the twinscrolled turbo ?
What makes the new FMIC better than other ones on the market?
Btw, I noticed the price is not up on the site,

Last edited by wilson1; Jul 16, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:08 AM
Account Disabled

i think you would be surprised with the 3071, it is a very good turbo. It has a high flowing and efficient turbine side due to the fact that it is not a mismatch turbo and has a optimized compressor wheel for its turbine. It has shown to be more responsive than the 3076 by some of the most demanding (picky) drivers we work with. Even tho it will not make as much top end/high boost power as the 3076, it does have enough flow for higher rpm operation. We have outfitted our drift cars, the falken drift SR20, the fastest SCCA 240 (KA24DE) and are doing our time attack S14 right now for an article. all have had excellent results.

while we have also seen exceptional results from the twinscroll 3076 (the fact that it does have more top end is definately a bonus) the 3071 does have its place, especially if top end is not what you are after
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Jeff, what cams are tested on your setup, and recommended? HKS 272, 280, cosworth M2?
Since the whole twin-scoll turbokit setup is optimized, what kind of increase spooling will we noticed? 500 rpm soon?
The turbokit will come with the twinscrolled turbo ?
What makes the new FMIC better than other ones on the market?
Btw, I noticed the price is not up on the site,
thanks alot for your interest. The twinscroll turbokit does include the twinscroll turbo of your choice (30R, 35R or 40R).

the VerticalFlow FMIC is better than the traditional style ICs on the market for two reasons -- core and endtank/charge pipe design. The core is better because it offers the same amount of surface area (cooling capacity) as a standard intercooler, however it has many more flow paths which allows the air to flow at a lower pressure drop (more efficiently). The endtank/charge pipe design is such that charge pipe lengths are reduced ~20" and equal air distribution across the intercooler is promoted. By reducing the charge pipe length and using an efficient cooler design, the turbo spools earlier and significant power gains in the low end are realized

Here is a good example of this -- our SR20 240SX intercooler uses reduced length charge pipes and gains about 25-30whp before the turbo is even spooled.

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pro...40a86f9f797c80

spool is something that may or may not be seen on the dyno, but is DEFINATELY felt behind the wheel. In some instances we have seen spool improve by 1200rpm, in others only by 100-200 rpm. Additionally, we have heard from people who saw minmal spool gains on the dyno but they cant say enough good things about how much faster the twinscroll setup spools and transitions into boost, despite what the dyno plot says. There is some great unbiased 3rd party info in the 9 page thread that was locked last week (because we arent sponsors). As of today we are sponsors so hopefully that thread will come back!!

regarding camshaft selection, i dont know which cams to reocmmend just yet. We will be doing a lot of testing mid to late august, so i will for sure be able to give you more info then. What i can tell you is that when you are using a twinscroll setup, you should consider running cams with bigger duration and lift than you might be used to. I do not like the small cam staggereed setups too much. Single scroll setups often benefit from the staggered cams, because they cant breathe as well as a twinscroll and cant handle any overlap due to the high backpressure (constant). On a twinscroll application, you can run huge cams with tons of lift/duration and overlap. The overlap will not adversely affect the twinscroll like it does a singlescroll due to the increased VE and reduced reversion/charge contamination

the pricing is FINISHED and will be on the site soon. thanks for your questions, anything else feel free to ask

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jul 16, 2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Geoff, do you have a link to that other thread?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Will your intake manifold be helpful along with the Twinscroll turbokit on a 2.2L?
I have heard that most intake manifolds will make the car sluggish since it's made for drag and not road racing/tracking?
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
Geoff, do you have a link to that other thread?
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh....php?p=4527935

hopefully that link will work later today now that we are sponsors

Will your intake manifold be helpful along with the Twinscroll turbokit on a 2.2L? I have heard that most intake manifolds will make the car sluggish since it's made for drag and not road racing/tracking?
it is true that an improperly designed intake manifold can cause the car to lose bottom end (aka make it feel sluggish). Normally this is due to the runners being too short and/or the plenum being improperly sized with a less-than-optimal runner entry. If the mainfold is designed well, it should not have a negative impact anywhere in the powerband.

We will be testing our intake manifold with the twinscroll system and will be sure to let everyone know the test results. Initially we plan to start testing on the stock manifold for obvious reasons. once that testing is complete we will swap the intake manifolds and go from there
Old Jul 17, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

woohoo!!! price is out! and dammmn veryyyyyy nicely priced!!!
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

geoff you got a pm
Old Jul 17, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

I want one so bad!!!!! Whenever I have the cash for this kit, it's going to be tough deciding b/w the 35R and 4088R. Geoff, you may have already answered this but any plans on a T67/"37R" ball-bearing kit? Thanks, bro.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Geoff, awesome price lead time?
Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RSGuy
I want one so bad!!!!! Whenever I have the cash for this kit, it's going to be tough deciding b/w the 35R and 4088R. Geoff, you may have already answered this but any plans on a T67/"37R" ball-bearing kit? Thanks, bro.
to be honest, we CAN set a 37R to be a t4 twinscroll turbo very easily, however i feel it wouldnt make much sense, becuase the 40R is a much better choice

The 40R is actually a smaller turbo than the 37R. the 40R is a 63.5mm inducer, the 37R is a 66.7mm inducer. The 40R is simply much more efficient, due in large part to the 52 trim compressor (vs the 63trim of the 37R) and the 10 blade 40R turbine wheel (vs the 11 blade p trim wheel in the 37R)

so yes, we can do a twinscroll 37R, but i strongly recommend the twinscroll 40R in its place!

Originally Posted by Jasil
Geoff, awesome price lead time?
5-6 weeks is a pretty good estimate. We have been working hard to get up to speed with everything, just finished a huge batch of intercoolers and the manifolds are in production right now.

thanks alot guys, if you have any other questions feel free to ask!