Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

fitting forged rods with standard pistons?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fitting forged rods with standard pistons?

there is a very reputable tuner here in the UK who is offering a great price on fitting new eagle steel rods with the engine in chassis and machining the stock pistons to match the new rods.

from there advice they say its not worth doing the pistons unless i plan on running 500-550whp plus, my plan was to stick a 3065 on or possibly a 35r with this setup.

whats everyones thoughts on doing this?

seems like a good route since i cant justify having the whole engine pulled out and rebuild for my power goals, its mainly a road/fun weekend car
Old Jul 6, 2007, 04:07 AM

Do u mean Simon Norris?

It does work but i would only do it if you were using something like an evogreen or Gt3071,Gt3076.If i was putting on a GT35 then i would put forged pistons in aswell.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

yes its simon norris, well my plan is to stick on my fpgreen iv got sitting here for a while but with the potential of running maybe 3065 later on in time, simon says its good enough setup for the turbo's i take his word for it 100% he knows what he is doing however i was just wanting to see if anyone else is running the same setup and how they find it?

anyone?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:12 PM

If you are CERTAIN you wont want to go for >500whp or change bigger than a 3065, then yes it should be fine (the oem pistons and eagle rods).
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:31 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
That is not a bad idea, using the stock pistons if you plan on keeping the stock ECU.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

what kinda max power do you think eagle rods and stock pistons on an 8 could do before id be looking at blowing something?
Old Jul 9, 2007, 07:28 PM

well it all comes down to the quality of the tune and how often you drive it hard. you should be able to run 450whp reliably on a good tune
Old Jul 10, 2007, 05:00 AM

450-500 flywheel
Old Jul 10, 2007, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

There is a guy john39 or something like that running 530 bhp and he is using a ams stroker kit with eagle rods there is also another guy running the same stroker kit with a gt35r. It all depends mate eagles should be fine for the power your going for.
But if your worried for an extra few quid just throw a set of manley I beams in.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

any more views on the limits of stock pistons?
Old Aug 1, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Ive blown the top of the stock pistons apart. They have held together at 500whp and about 200 passes at the drag strip but i had some knock and the top of piston #2 blew apart taking out the turbo also. I would get the forge pistons and be done with it they take allot more abuse and in my opinion cheap insurance the stock pistons aren't as forgiving
Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

true true, just dont wanna have to take the block out, and if done in situe, there could be leakdown issues due to bore clearences etc, heard to many horror strories

end of the day no 3rd party built engine will be as good as oem build quality thats my problem, yes parts used will be stronger but there only as strong as how well they'v been put togeather, which rest assures isnt going to be as well as oem factory machines produce period. unless offcourse you can afford a brand new cosworth block which im sure is built to manufacturars tolernace levels if not better
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1mad evo
true true, just dont wanna have to take the block out, and if done in situe, there could be leakdown issues due to bore clearences etc, heard to many horror strories

end of the day no 3rd party built engine will be as good as oem build quality thats my problem, yes parts used will be stronger but there only as strong as how well they'v been put togeather, which rest assures isnt going to be as well as oem factory machines produce period. unless offcourse you can afford a brand new cosworth block which im sure is built to manufacturars tolernace levels if not better
Ha you must talking about black death.Thats what i just did to my ross pistons which were at .005 piston to wall clearance;( forge piston will expand and i know you can run tighter clearances with stockers which dont expand as bad
Old Aug 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

what was the milleage on your block? in some instances you can getaway with a quick hone just to de glaze the walls a little and fit stock size pistons 85mm. some will require a re bore tho and .5mm larger pistons

Quick Reply: fitting forged rods with standard pistons?