Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Horrible clacking noise help if you know

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2007, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible clacking noise w/ vid

A couple weekends ago I smashed the driver's front corner into a mustang at Summit Point raceway. I destroyed the wheel, LCA, and axle. The hood and fender are screwed, but my motor seemed just fine. After the accident the car ran fine, I had oil pressure, the temp was fine.

Fast forward, a couple weeks later, it's at my in-law's house and I come over to fire it up and I hear this awful clacking. It sounds like a pre-manifold exhaust leak, very valvey... but It's not the exhaust. It seems to be coming from the intake side of the motor and it really seems to be coming from inside the motor. I am at a loss for what could have damaged the engine so badly with it sitting there for a couple of weeks. I've left the car sitting before.

When I started it, it had normal oil pressure, and there are no puddles, the cooling system perfectly in tact. The only info I can give you guys is that it's been sitting up at a bit of an angle on blocks since the front left is destroyed. I can only think that for some reason the impact dislodged or damaged a lifter and after sitting the oil drained out and now it's stuck? It sounds horrible like there is an exhaust leak in my crankcase, but it idles fine. The vaccuum is a litte low, but I expect that because I know I popped a boost leak a few laps into my heat, which I've thus far been unable to find.

I think I'll check the compression when I can get a tester up here to their house... any other ideas? This sucks... I thought it would just require suspension repair...

mods and everything are on the website if you need to know, including cams.

btw this is not normal lifter tick from the cam install, way way louder.

Last edited by honki24; Jul 8, 2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

polees!
Old Jul 8, 2007, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. bad hit my friend, that sux. Sounds like my car with an open dump.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

If this noise was not there at impact, you didn't crack any exhaust then is my guess. Are there any hoses/lines in the dammage field you could have pinched causing oil starvation? Could it be the rod-bearings? did you go look at the other side of the car, and check for broken/bent/twisted hoses? Any visual dammage by where the sound is coming from? Did you spray brake cleaner/starting fluid back there, and see if it changes the idle? Can help you find out if it is a leak. Spray a Cold motor, or have an eyebrow pencil handy.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Jul 8, 2007 at 06:02 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:10 AM
Account Disabled

all I'm hearing is an exhaust leak... try uploading it to my video site.. the audio/video quality should be better http://dsmvideo.vidiac.com
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks mellon, I'll try but the video was taken on a pretty crappy camera, the file is only like 500Kb.

I know, it sounds like an exhaust leak! But I swear it is loudest near the intake manifold inside the head/block! It's driving me nuts!

I'll try checking for leaks w/ starter fluid. Thanks for the thought. I don't think any lines are pinched. At worst I may have a puncture in my intercooler.

Last edited by honki24; Jul 8, 2007 at 06:35 AM.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:38 AM
Account Disabled

what is your vacuum at idle and do you have stock valvetrain?
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

okay, <HERE> is the file, you can view it or dl it if it makes it any clearer.

My vaccuum was ~11-12, which is only, at worst, 1-2 in-Hg low from normal. I have 272/272 cams w/ gears, stock valves/springs.
Old Jul 8, 2007, 06:55 AM
Account Disabled

hmm I really can't tell any better with the 2nd video, still sounds like an exhaust leak and your vacuum is about the same as mine with the HKS 280's
Old Jul 8, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

is the intake bolts broken off? Did you make sure nothing got sheared back where the sound is coming from? I don't think it would be something BROKEN as you didn't have the noise immediatley after impact.

Last edited by smokedmustang; Jul 8, 2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

I'll check for a sheared intake man. bolt next time I'm up there, thanks. I also thought about it being perhaps a loosened sparkplug? I'll check that next time too. I got a quick ECU+ log of it just before I left so maybe that can help. I swear it acts just like an exhaust leak. One troubling thing was that I pulled the oil cap off while it was idling and air was basically -blowing- out of the hole, pretty forcefully. I cant remember if it always did that... It didnt seem any louder with the cap off though, but I swear it sounds like it's from the block/head on the intake side.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

for those of you who would like to help me on my now more ominous looking problem:

log of race where I wrecked: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/utara/Last%20words.ecd
**The last minute or so, where the car is idling is after impact and should be helpful in seeing what my car was doing while it was sitting there just after impact**

Also the mitsulogger log of the same thing: http://filebox.vt.edu/users/utara/Last%20words.csv

Log from the car sitting there, making horrible sound:http://filebox.vt.edu/users/utara/engine%20sound.ecd

Notice that for some reason in the later log, I see boost at idle!!! My sensor may be bad, that's a possibility, but I'd like to theorize in case it isn't bad. Stuck open intake valve? ...I dunno, it disagrees with my boost gauge, and I think they are both mounted to the intake manifold, not the UICP...

BTW: my ecu+ settings: WB: PLX, Boost: GM 3 Bar
ECU+ software can be downloaded here: http://www.ecuplus.com/download.htm
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:16 AM
Account Disabled

any luck?
Old Jul 21, 2007, 09:52 AM

I think maybe one of your valves isnt opening properly, I would take the valve cover off and see if anything if altering their cycle
Old Jul 22, 2007, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Nope, no luck yet, seeing as I haven't been able to exactly diagnose anything from here and since I haven't been able to visit the car in a while. I don't know why it would do this, but I think my GM 3bar went out because as I showed you in the video, I'm making vaccuum at idle, but my GM says I'm making ~5lbs... I just have to assume that the sensor is wrong....

I'm gonna check the rockers when I get up to the car next. I still need a LCA for the driver's front to make the car moveable so I'm sorta waiting on one before I make that trip. Thanks for checking in, and let me know if anyone has any more ideas.

Quick Reply: Horrible clacking noise help if you know