Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MR transmissions suck

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Don't forget the reverse/speed sensor harness, because those are not interchangeable. I drove for a week without a speedometer, odometer, or reverse lights until that part showed up.
I bet that took some getting used to haha
Old Jul 10, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
you have a cracked slider. I wouldn't use 6. If it shatters it could take out more gears. right now the box is an easy fix.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
you have a cracked slider. I wouldn't use 6. If it shatters it could take out more gears. right now the box is an easy fix.
Okay, so this is kind of the other thing that was on the list of possible failures so I am not surprised. Question however is why it failed? Is it because of what Lucas told me that since 5th and 6th share the slider and I was being "aggressive" it cracked on a 4-5 shift and is making the 5-6-5 hard. The only thing I wonder about (and I am not doubting you) is why its still easy to shift into 5th or out of 5th and back to 4th?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:53 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
John, do you rest your hand on the shifter when cruising in 6th on the hwy?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Nah Bryan, I am not that new....heheh. I dont idle with the clutch in at lights, I dont rest my foot anywhere near any pedals nor do I play with the shifter. I think I know what you are getting at though...it tugging on the gears/synchros.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Don't forget the reverse/speed sensor harness, because those are not interchangeable. I drove for a week without a speedometer, odometer, or reverse lights until that part showed up.
Is the sensor AND harness required?

My 6sp is still good. Knock on wood. I change the fluid every 10k though. Not that it helps with stress related failures. When mine dumps on me, I'm going 5sp, for sure.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont worry
Old Jul 10, 2007, 08:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Nah Bryan, I am not that new....heheh. I dont idle with the clutch in at lights, I dont rest my foot anywhere near any pedals nor do I play with the shifter. I think I know what you are getting at though...it tugging on the gears/synchros.
Haha didn't mean anything by it. Some people just develop habits like that.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the same problem, my 6th one day started acting up and ever since then it hasn't been the same as when it was stock. At first it was really hard to get into 6th but now over time it goes in with slight resistance but it engages smoothly, no grinds or anything. All other gears and reverse are fine. I'm still on the stock clutch too at 22k miles.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 09:55 PM

it is a noob question but why can't you just build (beef up) the 6 speed when it fails, or is it not cost effective
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The 6-speed has thinner "high" gears which makes it more prone for them to break and also they can't desipate the heat as well as the 5 speed which has thicker "high" gears. I can't remember which gears exactly are thinner in the 6 speed but if you search you'll find all the info. Someone correct me if i'm wrong, i don't want to be giving out the wrong info.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
I think you might be the first to kill 6th. Stop racing supras!

Sucks John. Is it actually making crunching noises? You might have just warped a slider?

I take it you already checked the assembly on top of the transmission?
No, I was definately the first Evo MR owner to have the first ever unrelated failure on a 6th gear:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=218594

It happened to me at the track about a year ago and just for the records I never, ever in my life used the 6 th gear at the track(1/4 mil4). Not of the other gears gave me any problems but the 6th gear did.

I was able to enegage the gear manually by liffting the levers with my hand at the top of the transmission. This tells me that mostlikely it was a fork bent correlation.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 10, 2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:14 PM
Evolved Member

Carlos, were you able to convince the dealer to fix this?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
John,

At one point I had the car 95% reconverted to stock so that it looks stock but I couldn't never put it 100% stock because I gave some parts to a "friend" that never returned me the part thus I never took it back to the dealer to have them check it.

There is another Evo member and very good friend of mine that also has a Evo 8 MR and live in Tucson like me actually took his Evo 8 MR for transmission repair and got a brand new transmision .

Please contact Edwin. Like I said, he got his transmiision fully exchange and it was a MR with about 28k miles at the time. I personally never fixed it but I honestly think it is a minotr problem like a slightly bent fork.

It clearly looks like you had the same thing happening to me. You basicly never abused the6Th gear and all the sudeen it fails(it does not grind it just does not engage).

If you can't contact Edwin on this forum then I will get his number after I talk to him. I already have his number but I would have to consult with him if he wnat to be contacted.

Good luck and keep your head high, it is not a big deal.

Carlos
Old Jul 10, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

If you need a 5 speed trans I know a shop that has a few

Quick Reply: MR transmissions suck