Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JUN cams vs HKS cams

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I used to have an all motor Integra GSR with Toda B Spec cams.

Not very familliar with turbo cams or EVO cams, but are the HKS and Jun cams "billet" or are they regrinds?

In the VTEC Honda motors, it's much more desirable to have billet cams, since the geometry can wreak havoc if the regrinds aren't quite right.

Is any of this an issue with the turbo cams specifically for the EVO? There's no variable lift, so probably not as important. Are billet cams still more desirable, and if so are they avail and at what price.

Sorry for all of the questions, trying to gain some knowledge. =)

I'm almost decided on an EVO vs an STI (going to pull the trigger this week). My 911 is sold and the A4 is ready to go.

I'll probably keep it stock until next year, then definitely get at least turbo-back exhaust and engine managment/boost control such as the Vishnu stage 0/1. Cams seems like the next logical step for more power and HP/$. With more lift, may need to build the valvetrain as well.

Thoughts?

FB
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think either are regrinds....
I dont think either are hollow like the stock cams
-shahul
Old Jul 6, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

no need to really build the valvetrain, but I think springs are recommended on the 272's , but you may wanna do on the 264's as well...

-Shahul
Old Jul 6, 2003, 04:42 PM

I was just wondering if a 264/272 combination would be helpful or even possible. The DSM guys swear buy the combo, 264 intake, 272 exhaust which gives a nice idle and good top end power. Would this idea still pan out of the 4g63's in the evos?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Ahh good question!

I was going to ask about that as well. In my N/A GSR, I focused on the intake side in terms of lift and duration. Guys with turbos or other FI would look for more lift/duration on the exhaust side, so it would seem that the same may apply to the EVO.

Adjustable cam gears would probably also help if they could be tuned. I think I read a post about Vishnu adding cam gears in an upcoming "stage."

Thoughts?

FB
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by berkel
Ahh good question!

I was going to ask about that as well. In my N/A GSR, I focused on the intake side in terms of lift and duration. Guys with turbos or other FI would look for more lift/duration on the exhaust side, so it would seem that the same may apply to the EVO.

Adjustable cam gears would probably also help if they could be tuned. I think I read a post about Vishnu adding cam gears in an upcoming "stage."

Thoughts?

FB
hi
i have jun cam kits with springs and cam gears, email me if youre interested
Old Jul 23, 2003, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

1. JUN and HKS are billet. They are tough. The rest of the world seems to love JUN. Here in the USA, HKS is a proven powermonger.
2. You are correct; usually the exhaust needs to be opened more.
3. HKS cams for the EVO8 are 10.2 and 10.8 lift. They don't require springs.
4. The HKS cams aren't hollow.

Mark
www.Quantum-Racing.com
Old Jul 24, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

theres is this common misconception about valve springs and cams. JUN does recommend racing valve springs with their cams
and so does HKS in Japan. In this never cought on for some reason and most of tuners use stock springs with high lift cams.
Basically stronger valve springs are needed to prevent the spring surge effect. Both JUN and HKS cams will work with stock springs.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the reason for the upgraded springs and TIT retainers is they are running higher than stock rpm. Gotta prevent that valve float.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by value
Most of the reason for the upgraded springs and TIT retainers is they are running higher than stock rpm. Gotta prevent that valve float.
What are TIT retainers.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by timzcat

What are TIT retainers.

But... seriously.... what are those things??
Old Jul 24, 2003, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I knew someone would do that.

I was just busting (ironic) on him. He meant Ti retainers as in titanium.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Good info, thanks all. I did get the EVO, but not getting cams in the near term. Gonna focus on some sort of ecu reflash or piggy back and a turbo-back for now (well once finances recover )

<edit>

forgot to mention that I did use Ti retainers and stiffer valve springs in my GSR implementation, but I also raised redline to 9000 rpm and the Toda B Specs had some big lift (12.1 IIRC). If the cams aren't that aggressive, the stiffer valve springs may hurt power I think? Ti retainers might be a good idea to ease wear?

</edit>

Thoughts?

FB
Old Jul 27, 2003, 09:03 AM

Does anyone know a good "cheap" source for Titanium Retainers?

TIA
Old Jul 27, 2003, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by QuantumEVO
1. JUN and HKS are billet. They are tough. The rest of the world seems to love JUN. Here in the USA, HKS is a proven powermonger.
Is HKS in the US and JUN in the rest of the world about marketing only or are HKS cams for some reason better suited for American conditions (emphasis on drag strip) or American fuel?

Quick Reply: JUN cams vs HKS cams