Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My EVO hated me today

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My EVO hated me today

So I had a thread here about Spark plugs. Well my EVO was all fine and dandy with a very very minor exhaust leak after the cat. I changed the spark plugs to NGK BPR7ES gapped to .026 and all was well.

I start feeling what I thought was a misfire after a few days. But it wasn't bad. A week later after a hard 1-2-3 gear pull onto the highway the car start to buck at half throttle But then was totally norma 5 seconds later. I changed the spark plugs back to the stock to see if that was the problem.

The car ran good for a few hours with the stock plugs back in. Today driving to lunch, I was going about 35mph in third gear, and got maybe 3-4psi into boost into fourth gear and the car began to buck VERY violently and the SES light came on. I took it back to the shop I work at and had one on the master techs pull the code. MAF sensor? We checked it out and the MAF sensor plug wasn't fully connected. No idea why. I never messed with it. Turns out it wasn't the plugs I guess.

He clears the code, plug it back in and I go for a drive. Start it up, all seems normal, pull out onto the road and my car is REALLLLLLYYY loud. NOW the pipe after the resinator is totally disconnected with the rest of the exhaust. Not even wehre my previous exhaust leak was. Now I have TWO! So now I have no muffler basically. No more misfiring...yet, but just a really loud, rich, slow EVO. I have a lame NB AFR gauge that doesn't tell me anything, but it goes richer than it normally did under WOT now with the leaks. I wasn't going to buy my TBE for another month or so I'm too poor.

Ok to drive? It's annoying. I just want to wait until I get my TBE, install it and get whatever plugs my tuner suggests for 22psi. One step colder I assume.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Jul 16, 2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Wow your evo must have been pissed at you for something....
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

You should be using BPR7ES or one step colder BPR8ES
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Phenix_fyah
You should be using BPR7ES or one step colder BPR8ES
BPR7ES is exactly what I was using. Turns out it wasn't the plugs, it was the lame MAF plug that came loose on it's own I just wasn't sure if I needed the 8's for 22psi or the 7's would do. Thanks
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yes BPR7Es are sufficient for 22psi.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a pic. I'm going to try and half *** fix it for the next 3 weeks or so until I can get the TBE. I think when the car was bucking around from the MAF being unplugged, it broke this. It was bucking fairly violently.

Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

dam
Old Jul 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
Evolving Member

not too big of a deal but a pain in the ***