Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

5th gear grind - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th gear grind - advice needed

I started getting the infamous fifth gear grind a few months ago (grinding while shifting from 4th to 5th during hard acceleration). I have a mild amount of grind in 3rd gear, as well. I read quite a bit about this on the forum and a number of other people have had the same problem. The consensus seems to be that the synchros are in need of replacement. I called the dealer here in Fresno yesterday and the service manager said that the TSB related to this problem was issued for 03 and 04 Evos (mine is an 05). He also said that some of the 06's have had issues. He went on to clarify that aftermarket clutches were deemed to be the problem in most instances and that such a thing would likely work against the owner in terms of making his/her case. My car has a little over 60,000 miles on it and is still on the original clutch. He seemed impressed and told me that this fact would work in my favor, but that they would need to have a tech drive it and possibly do a tear-down. They would charge me $950 to perform the teardown in order to determine whether the synchros (or anything else) are defective. It would then likely be covered under warranty if that were the case. Here are my options:

1) Pay $50 to have a Mitsubishi tech drive my car and duplicate the grinding (not hard to do - it's pretty evident), pay an additional $950 for a teardown to daignose the problem, and then go from there. If it is covered, I would have to pay nothing at all. If it's not covered, then I'm out a grand just to be told that I need to pay even more money to continue with the repair.

2) Have a transmission shop pull the tranny (10-hour job total at about $85/hour) and send it to Shep for a rebuild (~$1000 with shipping), and then get it back to be reinstalled. I would have a problem trusting anyone else to repair the transmission, since it is a rather complicated and specialized piece of equipment.

3) Drive the car until it breaks and then rebuild the transmission at that point.

My car is stock except for a custom tune from Dynoflash (would detect that or even look for it while pulling the transmission?)

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Just dont use TRE if you happen to need rebuild.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 4G63 T
Just dont use TRE if you happen to need rebuild.
Thanks for the heads up
Old Jul 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend did about 3 min of some solid burnouts and his tranny whined like a pack of wolves!! He went to mistu within the next 2 days (bald tires and all) And they warrantied the transfer case and 2 of his gears and a couple synchros! Then a month later he rolled it.. but they covered his car with almost 40k!!!
Old Jul 19, 2007, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sikrsix
My friend did about 3 min of some solid burnouts and his tranny whined like a pack of wolves!! He went to mistu within the next 2 days (bald tires and all) And they warrantied the transfer case and 2 of his gears and a couple synchros! Then a month later he rolled it.. but they covered his car with almost 40k!!!
I have the same problem as you with an '05 as well. I took it to two dealerships and they told me their wasn't any thing wrong. I meet a fellow Evo owner that told me that Huntington Beach Mitsu was a corporate owned dealer and they do warranty work with out a hassle. Got it fix and the problem was gone. Now 12K miles later the problem came back. The dealership told me it was going to be some time before the parts come in, so I've been driving around with the problem for almost two months now. When they fixed it the first time they left one of the CV boots loose and it started to spill oil. There's my .02 on your problem. Find a dealer with a good service rating and maybe corporate owned, if their really are any? Ask around on here and NorCalEvo