Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2003, 06:44 PM
In Timeout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air intake

Has anyone tried any of the cold air intakes such as

ARC Super Induction Box
Monster Sport Carbon Intake Duct
HKS Kansai Carbon Intake Duct

This seems the way to go, Use the big duct and drop in a K&N. Price does not matter. I paid 800 for a intake on my NSX.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Cold Air Intake will do basically nothing different then an open cone under your hood accept maybe a bit quieter, and allow more crap/water to get into your airfilter. The "cold air" will go through the intake cold but once it hits the turbo, boom, hot as hell, then intercooler hits and back to cool. This is just my opnion so don't take this as me ripping on cold air intakes, I just think for turbo cars they really don't do what they do on something like your NA nsx. the monster carbon air box is sweet as hell though

Jeff
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:02 PM

Listen to him, CAI's for turbos are a waste. Just get a good short ram intake.
EDIT:It might even be technically worse with a CAI considering it does nothing and the tube is longer.

Last edited by TeamRedline808; Jun 28, 2003 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2003, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

don't waste your money on a open air filter! i got one, all i get is sound out of it. It sounds cool as hell but no performance at all, i accually get less performance on the low end with the filter. Many have gotin open air filters and switched back to stock because aftermarket filters decrease performance! don't waste your money!!!! I don't know about ECU reprogramed to use the new filter, but open air filters are nothing but sound and looks (no performance).

Just F.Y.I.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Compjoc
don't waste your money on a open air filter! i got one, all i get is sound out of it. It sounds cool as hell but no performance at all, i accually get less performance on the low end with the filter. Many have gotin open air filters and switched back to stock because aftermarket filters decrease performance! don't waste your money!!!! I don't know about ECU reprogramed to use the new filter, but open air filters are nothing but sound and looks (no performance).

Just F.Y.I.
Ditto..I had the RMR cone filter and it sounded cool and all but there was no torque until maybe 5500 RPM
Old Jun 29, 2003, 05:33 AM

It is my understanding that you need an AFC or similar to compensate for the low-end loss. I also understand that this is even more necessary when replacing the pipe between the air filter to turbo. Has anyone here tuned to compensate and still feel the losses?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

It really doesn't matter if you are running a turbocharged car or an NA car. Cold air is more dense than hot air. This means that for a given volume of air (lets say your combustion chamber) cold air has more oxygen content than hot air.

The higher the content of oxgen the better the quality of air resulting in more power. Supposedly you lose 1%hp for every 7 degree(centigrade) increase in air temp. We all know how much better turbo cars run in cold weather, and this is simply due to the massive amount of oxygen molecules creating better combustion.

This isn't speculation, just simple physics. Running hot air through the best intercooler in the world will not majically increase oxygen content.Ask someone like Claudius who obviously knows performance cars, and I bet he will agree with this.

Guys who live in high altitude environments have cooler air available more of the time , but unfortunately deal with the same issue of less oxygen content in their cool air due to altitude factors. Humidity also negatively impacts air density as well.

A cone filter sucking in hot air will definitely pull in more air volume and provide increased flow, but the quality of air will be poor with less oxygen content than the same cone filter sucking in cool air.

At higher rpms the hot air cone filter develops enough velocity flow to increase volume to a point that finally overcomes the quality factor and results in additional hp gains.

The best solution is a cone filter, capable of flowing massive amounts of air, installed with cold air ducting to insure the most oxygen intake.

Just my .02 and contribution to re-opening a can of worms on a continuing and controversial subject. ;-)

JNR

Last edited by N10S; Jun 30, 2003 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Along the same lines, if there were no difference between breathing cold and hot air into the engine, then dyno charts wouldn't differ from cold to hot weather. I'm not an engine wizard, but turbo'd cars are sensitive to ambient temperature differentials, or else I'd run as great in July as I did back in March

-Josh
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

In regard to CAI's, there are none avail. for the evo.............................YET -- but I'm willing to bet that Injen, AEM, or a K&N Typhoon is in order.
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Btw- Heres a neat site that calculates affect of temp, dew point, relative humidity, altitude, and barometric pressure as applied to engine tuning. There are also links on this site to allow you to pull different weather data from anywhere you choose. If you run a couple of calculations comparing a shop at sea level vs one in Denver, you can start to see the differences air density makes. Probably not of interest to everyone, but for the truly geeky ...enjoy!!

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

JNR
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:57 PM

Don't know if the Evo will react the same way as the WRX, but some people have reported loss of torque with an intake. The stock unit will get you pretty high into modding, but, yes, it does give a cooler sound
Old Jun 30, 2003, 05:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by N10S
It really doesn't matter if you are running a turbocharged car or an NA car. Cold air is more dense than hot air. This means that for a given volume of air (lets say your combustion chamber) cold air has more oxygen content than hot air.

The higher the content of oxgen the better the quality of air resulting in more power. Supposedly you lose 1%hp for every 7 degree(centigrade) increase in air temp. We all know how much better turbo cars run in cold weather, and this is simply due to the massive amount of oxygen molecules creating better combustion.

This isn't speculation, just simple physics. Running hot air through the best intercooler in the world will not majically increase oxygen content.Ask someone like Claudius who obviously knows performance cars, and I bet he will agree with this.

Guys who live in high altitude environments have cooler air available more of the time , but unfortunately deal with the same issue of less oxygen content in their cool air due to altitude factors. Humidity also negatively impacts air density as well.

A cone filter sucking in hot air will definitely pull in more air volume and provide increased flow, but the quality of air will be poor with less oxygen content than the same cone filter sucking in cool air.

At higher rpms the hot air cone filter develops enough velocity flow to increase volume to a point that finally overcomes the quality factor and results in additional hp gains.

The best solution is a cone filter, capable of flowing massive amounts of air, installed with cold air ducting to insure the most oxygen intake.

Just my .02 and contribution to re-opening a can of worms on a continuing and controversial subject. ;-)

JNR
DITTO X ELEVENTY BILLION

It still blows me away at how many people don't know this fundamental law???

So much mis-information is spread around the net it is ridiculous!!

I don't know how many times this topic will come up on this board?