Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Transfer case removal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer case removal

Hey guys, about a week ago I noticed a bunch of gear whine and noises coming from the trans. Got underneath it and sure enough found a fluid leak. After buying some trans fluid I noticed it looks like its coming from one of the gaskets between the trans and the transfer case. Definitely looks like its the transfer case thats leaking.

so... 1) What kind of fluid should I use for the T-case 2) How hard would it be to pull it off myself and reseal it 3) does anyone know of any walkthroughs anywhere online for removing the T-case.

any help would be great. Thanks guys !
Old Jul 30, 2007, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Bump for any info, I'm totally in the dark on weather or not this is something I can handle in my garage
Old Jul 30, 2007, 02:11 AM
Evolved Member

The t-case and the tranny dont share any fluids at all. You should try to figure out if your leak is t-case oil or trans oil. As far as recomended fluids you should always put Diaqueen in the t-case and I use Pennzoil Syncromesh for my tranny.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
if you lost t-case fluid and hearing a whine, it's a good change that your t-case is toast. you'll need new ring and pinion gear. refilling the fluid is not going to make the noise go away.

depending how mechanical incline you are, removing the t-case is not very technical but it's a pain in the a$$. you better have some strong arms. search in the how-to section and you'll find some tutorial.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Adamk24
Hey guys, about a week ago I noticed a bunch of gear whine and noises coming from the trans. Got underneath it and sure enough found a fluid leak. After buying some trans fluid I noticed it looks like its coming from one of the gaskets between the trans and the transfer case. Definitely looks like its the transfer case thats leaking.

so... 1) What kind of fluid should I use for the T-case 2) How hard would it be to pull it off myself and reseal it 3) does anyone know of any walkthroughs anywhere online for removing the T-case.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ission+removal

I would agree is lost fluid and heard whinning already....Transfercase is toast....I would take it to the dealer and get there opinion if bad or not....and if it is bad call John SHep....at Shep racing for stage two upgrade....

Same thing happend to me but the drain plug feel out and drove with k\no fluid....Was a 3K repair
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:24 AM
Evolving Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ission+removal

I would agree is lost fluid and heard whinning already....Transfercase is toast....I would take it to the dealer and get there opinion if bad or not....and if it is bad call John SHep....at Shep racing for stage two upgrade....

Same thing happend to me but the drain plug feel out and drove with k\no fluid....Was a 3K repair
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=Adamk24;4582859]Hey guys, about a week ago I noticed a bunch of gear whine and noises coming from the trans. Got underneath it and sure enough found a fluid leak. After buying some trans fluid I noticed it looks like its coming from one of the gaskets between the trans and the transfer case. Definitely looks like its the transfer case thats leaking.

Last edited by OtownEvo; Jul 30, 2007 at 05:28 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:27 AM
Evolved Member

if its leaking right at the spot where the t-case and transmission meet its most likely a 2$ o ring that is between them, if you whad the t-case off any time soon then that might be your problem, if not you might be ****ed
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you can do it yourself. check the how-to section for instuctions.

if you do need to replace the TC dont overlook TRE for a repair
Old Jul 30, 2007, 08:53 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the help guys. Sounds like I'm going to have to find some money for a new transfer case. Recommendations for how I should go about getting it fixed?

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do the work in my garage, but as far as getting a rebuilt unit, does anyone know the cheapest (while still being reliable/safe) alternative?

Thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Shepherd will be able to replace rings and pinion for you, if that's what you need. i don't think there are any other shop that can replace rings and pinion.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:32 AM
Evolving Member

Cool I'll give him a call in the morning and see what I can work out.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Cool I'll give him a call in the morning and see what I can work out.
Let us know how much he is charging for the ring and pinion. I havent been able to get ahold of him about it.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
Shepherd will be able to replace rings and pinion for you, if that's what you need. i don't think there are any other shop that can replace rings and pinion.
X2

I'm also curious about this, please post your info.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:57 PM

Yup I heard the wine one time. It sucks dude. I took my own out then shipped it out to shep. The rack and pinion are not being manufactured alone. You have to buy a new TC or you can call and they can piece your TC together with what they have. remember how to put it back together tho. Thats the important thing!!!

Quick Reply: Transfer case removal