Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Full Race Vertical Flow Intercooler Review

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2008, 08:40 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by miragevo
Geoff, Any news on this?
they are in production, but we are having a hard time getting the cores consistently. most IC mfg's have discontinued these cores, due to very low sales #s (ie: setrab, garrett and spearco) so getting more has proven to be very difficult (as difficult as getting some of the twinscroll turbine housings!)

I do not want to post more pics, generate more interest or give prices out as we cant even get more of these if we wanted. We are filling our existing orders with the small supply as they trickle in, but definitely not able to make a lot of these.

Originally Posted by Mark S
I have used there new Bar and plate vertical flow, It did not give me what I was after which is cool inlet temp,I spoke to Geoff about this and he was happy having worse temp in exchange for better throttle responce, This is not what I wanted so the unit was removed and reistalled the APS unit.
hi mark, as i mentioned this IC is designed around early spool with instant throttle response for gt30R and gt35R sized turbos. It works with a 40R, but a 40R at high boost is maxxing out this FMIC, and a warmer IAT is the result. the aps you have i assume is either 4" or 4.5" thick so has a much larger cooling capacity. We have the extra large VFMICs available for high boost for much larger turbos.

Originally Posted by TSL Rich
I absolutely love everything that Geoff and FR put out... the quality is second to none and quite literally mechanical artwork. As soon as I manage to get myself an evo, i want some FR parts on it to go along with the ChristTurbo shirt that took forever for me to get, GEOFF!!! Always good to see you back here in Jersey, coming back for the NOPI races? maybe you can fabricate Andrea a left-handed camera.
thanks for the compliments! we will be back for a few events this summer, but staying very busy in the AZ desert right now. trying to make it for the may event, will let you know
Old Apr 10, 2008, 04:36 PM

I want to clarify.. i realized that my last post made it seem like it took the FR guys a while to get me the shirt. Last year i was the photographer for the NHRA Xplod series and I'd see these guys at all of the events and by the time i'd get enough free time to stop at their booth (usually late in the weekend) they'd be sold out of the shirt.

Rich
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

As for the pic above thats an f1 car IC. Most would immediately jump to the conclusion that the tanks are too small for good flow. I would say small endtanks will work well if not better than large ones. Reducing charge pipe volume is the single most important step in increasing boost response . endtanks are part of that volume.
I realize this thread is pretty much dead, but I just noticed this post. I've done a bunch of CFD work on endtank design lately and I have to agree with this 100%. I was surprised how small the endtanks can be made without increasing the pressure drop any appreciable amount.

I don't think vertical flow intercoolers are the answer for the EVO though. According to Bell Intercoolers, for a high boost application (typical of the EVOs) you need ~14" or more of core length to keep the temperatures in check. Good luck fitting a 14" tall core with endtanks into the front of an EVO. For pushing 40+ PSI of boost, they recommended 18" minimum... Oh, ad this was on the higher efficiency bar and plate intercoolers.

Not that they are the end all be all of intercooling, but they do have quite a bit of experience.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
I realize this thread is pretty much dead, but I just noticed this post. I've done a bunch of CFD work on endtank design lately and I have to agree with this 100%. I was surprised how small the endtanks can be made without increasing the pressure drop any appreciable amount.

I don't think vertical flow intercoolers are the answer for the EVO though. According to Bell Intercoolers, for a high boost application (typical of the EVOs) you need ~14" or more of core length to keep the temperatures in check. Good luck fitting a 14" tall core with endtanks into the front of an EVO. For pushing 40+ PSI of boost, they recommended 18" minimum... Oh, ad this was on the higher efficiency bar and plate intercoolers.

Not that they are the end all be all of intercooling, but they do have quite a bit of experience.
hm ... that makes me want to take a saw to my IC and try to reduce the size of the end tanks myself ... one of these days I might feel crazy enough to try that !