Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need advice on adjusting the Forge Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on adjusting the Forge Wastegate

Yesterday I installed the Forge Evo 9 wastegate with the piston design. Now I need to tighten the turnbuckle more because even with my boost table at zero, the boost goes up to 24 to 25 psi, Whats the a good techinique to pull actuator arm on the flapper??
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hold on. You left out a lot of information. Are you saying you upgraded to the Forge Evo IX WGA, but you don't have a boost controller? You are trying to use EcuFlash to control boost through the stock BCS? Or rather, are you using a Xede or something? You should give a LOT more details.

Anyway, 24-25psi seems pretty high for base wastegate pressure. Are you sure your setup that uses Vishnu tuning doesn't have a special boost hose and restrictor pill designed to raise boost artificially? If you have something like this, then it should be expected that your minimum boost is that high.

Another thing is that you don't TIGHTEN the turnbuckle if your base pressure is too high, but rather loosen it. However, I'm not so sure it's the WGA's fault, because I think it's your boost system modifications causing it. If you loosen the WGA too much, then the spool will be very slowly and unresponsive. If you tighten it more, it will raise the base pressure.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Hold on. You left out a lot of information. Are you saying you upgraded to the Forge Evo IX WGA, but you don't have a boost controller? You are trying to use EcuFlash to control boost through the stock BCS? Or rather, are you using a Xede or something? You should give a LOT more details.

Anyway, 24-25psi seems pretty high for base wastegate pressure. Are you sure your setup that uses Vishnu tuning doesn't have a special boost hose and restrictor pill designed to raise boost artificially? If you have something like this, then it should be expected that your minimum boost is that high.

Another thing is that you don't TIGHTEN the turnbuckle if your base pressure is too high, but rather loosen it. However, I'm not so sure it's the WGA's fault, because I think it's your boost system modifications causing it. If you loosen the WGA too much, then the spool will be very slowly and unresponsive. If you tighten it more, it will raise the base pressure.
Yup I upgrade the to the Forge Evo 9 WGA and I am using the Xede to control the boost. I do have the Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator.
Let me understand this better if I tighten the turnbuckle more, I will raise the boost pressure more? So maybe I should take out the Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, take out the emulator and see what the boost does with the boost tables set to STOCK. The emulator works the way it's designed, but it's designed to work with the stock WGA, remember?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, take out the emulator and see what the boost does with the boost tables set to STOCK. The emulator works the way it's designed, but it's designed to work with the stock WGA, remember?
Yup, you are 100% right, very good advice. Well right now I had to zero out the boost table and I am still spiking the boost to like 25 psi thats with partial throttle, I am NOT trying to go through the gear with me boosting 25 psi. I tell you this with Forge WGA the car the MORE responsive and even my friend noticed it, when I was just part throttling the car. Just to make sure, if I wanted to lower the boost spike I would have to loosen the turnbuckle, correct?
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, you loosen the turnbuckle to reduce the base wastegate pressure, but you don't want to do that until you've set your entire boost system back to stock and set your boost tables back to stock. Then, if you see it raise to 25psi, be sure to let off and start working on the WGA. I don't think you should start by loosening the turnbuckle, because I'd be surprised if you had it too tight. You'd have to have it WAY DOWN with the opening of the turnbuckle well below the WG flapper pin for it to be too tight. Usually, people have it too loose, and if you are right on the money, I don't want you to end up too loose with a car that spools slowly.

As for it being a good mod, I have been waiting on one for months. Even being sponsored, I can't seem to get one, because they are out of stock and haven't received a new shipment yet...
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

As for your "spike" I run an MBC and with the forge wga I have almost no spiking compared with stock wga, now it seems to control boost much much better I just have to find the fine line between slower spool and too much boost, but at street level I hit 19-20 psi by 3500rpm and do not taper till around 6800 otherwise my boost curve is flat from spoolup, unlike the stock wga, and i am at high elevation. So play with wga setting first, with boost control zero'd out.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, you loosen the turnbuckle to reduce the base wastegate pressure, but you don't want to do that until you've set your entire boost system back to stock and set your boost tables back to stock. Then, if you see it raise to 25psi, be sure to let off and start working on the WGA. I don't think you should start by loosening the turnbuckle, because I'd be surprised if you had it too tight. You'd have to have it WAY DOWN with the opening of the turnbuckle well below the WG flapper pin for it to be too tight. Usually, people have it too loose, and if you are right on the money, I don't want you to end up too loose with a car that spools slowly.

As for it being a good mod, I have been waiting on one for months. Even being sponsored, I can't seem to get one, because they are out of stock and haven't received a new shipment yet...
I tell this much when we put it on the WG Flapper pin it was very difficult. That is why I was asking for a better techinique to get the turnbucle on WG flapper pin, if I tighten even more, it would very hard to get it back on the flapper pin. So tommorow I am going to take the Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator and see what kind of boost I will get with the boost table zeroed out, if I get something like 19-21psi, I will then adjust my boost table. Thanks for the great advice Warr
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

No, don't zero out the boost table. Set the boost tables to STOCK.

As for putting the arm on the flapper pin, you can either use a little metal rod with a hook at the end (like what the dentist uses to scrap off plaque ), or apply compressed air to the WGA nipple, which will push up the arm all the way in an instant, thus making it a breeze to install on the pin.

If the hole of the arm was way below the flapper pin, then you may in fact have it on way too tight.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

No, don't zero out the boost table. Set the boost tables to STOCK.
I am talking the Xede boost table, it doesn't have stock boost table.
Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Noted.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Well i took out the Passive Boost Solenoid Emulator and that didn't help at all, so I guess my only option is to adjust the turnbuckle.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

so when we doing this