Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

lost 1st nd 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lost 1st nd 2nd gear

while driving home the other night, I somehow lost gears 1-2. everything else works fine. I wasn't even making any boost. 3am, drove about 60 yards to a stop sign and stopped. put it in first, went for second and nothing went to third. stopped again to see what was going on, and had no more 1st and second gear. at first I though it was the linkage. came home and inspected the linkage in the engine bay and under the shifter. everything looked intact. all cotter pins and bushings accounted for in the engine bay. same under the shifter console. It all appears to move correctly but looks/feels/sounds like nothing is being engaged inside the transmission for gears 1-2. I am thinking shift fork. Any thoughts before I go to the dealer would be awesome. thanks everyone
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

I have already been told the obvious that if the linkage is all in order then I have "serious transmission issues"
Old Jul 30, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if car is stock, bring to dealer..i had same issue, turned out the oil leaked from drain plug...causing 1st and 2nd to get locked out, like hittin a brick wall...but you said your is actually going in gear..so i'm unsure....if car is running you can put it in 1st without clutch and nothing happens?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, the car can run with the shifter in either 1-2 gear and will not stall. no gear engaging. 3-4-5 work normal along with reverse
Old Jul 31, 2007, 07:03 AM
Account Disabled

check the shifter linkage that bolts to the tranns the gold colored shifter forks there should be a small white u shapped plastic bushing inbetween the the upper and lower shift links if its not there this will cause your problem.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

pretty sure that was in there. I am going to go double check, but if I remember correctly, it was a white U shape like you described between the two peices alowing it to slide.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my tranny was just fixed... i completely stripped my 3rd gear....

Dont drive it around and make the same mistake i made because when it was taken apart the teeth from the gear nicked the rest of the tranny too. i was a couple miles from my house, so i kept going home and after about a mile can can hear everything getting destroyed.

Good luck!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

pretty sure none of the gears broke. I have had a tranny let go on me before under load and it is very noticable when peices are getting grinded up in there. how much was the biill? did the dealer do it?
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

well, guys. had to move the car around the street to get it onto the flatbed, now it seems worst. now neutral is actually feeling like a gear also. but does not really go anywhere just stalls if you let off the clutch. I dont know what the hell is going on in there. But it goes into the dealer tonight. Wish me luck.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep us updated!!!
Old Jul 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

will do. hoping for the best. having "the best warranty" in the business somehow doesnt make me sleep well at night. If i had an outlander I wouldnt worry, but I just feel that they are looking for anythign to void EVO warranties
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

I've had this happen to me on various blown transmissions from different cars. If the engine stalls out on you in neutral, this means that there is metal fragments that are lodged in between the gears preventing from any rotation of the shafts (even in neutral). You need a new transmission or rebuild. Take it to the dealer, make sure you have no signs of any modifications. Either 1st and 2nd cracked on you, or maybe the springs/keys from the hub or sleeve just let go and became lodged in between some other gears.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm local. What dealer did you take it to.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I took it to maywood mitshubishi. thats where I got the car, so we'll see what happens. I should be cool, its just that whenever its something with the tranny, dealers get void happy...wish me luck
Old Aug 2, 2007, 05:18 AM

dont worry dino, i gave you my knob, so therefore your car will be fixed

Quick Reply: lost 1st nd 2nd gear