Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

50 vs 57 trim...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What you are looking for must by a magical turbo.......

you are saying that you want your car to run near stock but yet have 450 whp....

I want the power of a 45R turbo but I want it to spool up at 3300 rpm's.
or
I want 280 cam's but I don't want me car to make a loping sound....

In my opinion I would roll with a 35R turbo, that seems like it will be the best to accomplish your goals....

If we find that magical turbo that creates gobs of power with near stock driveability someone let me know...... I was making 500 whp on ams 50 trim on methanol and supporting mods

Good luck,

keep up posted

Steve
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Its going to be pretty hard to make 450 to the wheels on pump gas with the turbos your speaking of. This will also depend on engine managment and what dyno you will be using. It usually takes a very healthy 35R/37R car on an AEM to make that kind of power, but even then its not very common on our dyno.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

^I think 410 whp on dynojet and 500 on c16 is not unreasonable and there are guys in the forums who make that using a 50 trim and no cams, where i have a 57 trim and supporting mods which should be good for that power output .
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:53 PM

I miss typed, I want it to keep the reliablity' I'm set on getting low to mid 400s awhp. I don't really care about lag, as long as I don't have to rev the hell out of that motor to get the most out of it. This is my dd' so I want to make it as streetable and reliable as. I can.. And I undertand the concept of a bigger turbo get getting more lag, I just want a compromise between the 50 trim and the 35r, while achieving my awhp goals.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

I was hoping to make 650 at the wheels on pump gas with my 57 trim, is that unreasonable?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Frank@AMS
Its going to be pretty hard to make 450 to the wheels on pump gas with the turbos your speaking of. This will also depend on engine managment and what dyno you will be using. It usually takes a very healthy 35R/37R car on an AEM to make that kind of power, but even then its not very common on our dyno.
It will be on a dynojet, at it will be on a stock ecu. But what it boils down to is, which one has more potential of getting me my 400 to 450 to the wheel, the 50 or the 57 trim on pump with supporting mods, minus the alky and meth. The car will probably never see race gas, well unless I win the lottery. And I don't plan on building the motor anytime soon, maybe just cams and head studs down the road.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nx302stang
It will be on a dynojet, at it will be on a stock ecu. But what it boils down to is, which one has more potential of getting me my 400 to 450 to the wheel, the 50 or the 57 trim on pump with supporting mods, minus the alky and meth. The car will probably never see race gas, well unless I win the lottery. And I don't plan on building the motor anytime soon, maybe just cams and head studs down the road.

I just noticed that you are in PDX, why not try running E85? that will definitely get you what you want and there are a few stations in your area.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by uglyevo
I was hoping to make 650 at the wheels on pump gas with my 57 trim, is that unreasonable?

I was thinking the same thing
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Definately stay away from the ATP kits. Waste of money. As far as your goals of 450 whp on pump, you'd definately want to get an intake manifold. If you look at my numbers in my signature, those are on pump/meth. I believe on straight 93 oct, it was about 420 whp. The manifold really makes a big difference up high.

From my experience, the 50 trim is not going to get you to your goal on straight pump. I don't have any experience with the 57 trim or 3065, so I won't comment on that.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:25 PM

Well I'm technically in bend. The car is my dd' so e85 is out of the question since I drive 250 a week just to commute to and from work, minus the weekend driving. E85 will definitly break the bank. Plus I don't think I can buy e85 around here. Ill check around. But I really just wanna run 92 octane.
Originally Posted by uglyevo
I just noticed that you are in PDX, why not try running E85? that will definitely get you what you want and there are a few stations in your area.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

MidWest and Frank are very right.....

You will definetly need cams, you will definetly need an AEM although I made 500WHP on a killer flash from Martin and Chris. I would recommend the VSR intake by AMS, it will give you HUGE power up top..... Worth its money in gold.

Maybe on a 9 people are coming close to the 450 mark without cams but that will be hard on an 8 with no cams and a stock ecu....

Good luck to you though

bottom line, you will need a big turbo to get that number, 35R with a high amount of boost, but you will need some cams to get the benefits of that turbo.

You are better off doing cams, flash or aem, vsr intake, meth inject. and a 35R, you will be able to run that power more than safe on that turbo.

500 whp is maxing out a 50 trim
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like the look and quality of ETS, I just don't see any solid numbers, but everything else looks VERY good.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
I like the look and quality of ETS, I just don't see any solid numbers, but everything else looks VERY good.

what numbers are you looking for?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nx302stang
Well I'm technically in bend. The car is my dd' so e85 is out of the question since I drive 250 a week just to commute to and from work, minus the weekend driving. E85 will definitly break the bank. Plus I don't think I can buy e85 around here. Ill check around. But I really just wanna run 92 octane.
Good to see my old evo is getting put to good use. I take it they didn't total it out?
Old Aug 9, 2007, 01:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
When we spoke the power requirements were very secondary to spool and streetability. If your preference has changed it's no problem for us to ship the kit with a larger turbo, we have both heavy in stock The 50 trim is a 54mm compressor and the 57 trim is a 56mm compressor. They both use the same Stage 3 turbine and T3 .63 A/R exhaust side. Spoolup will be similar between the two but the 57 trim is rated to 545hp where the 50 trim is rated to 490hp. Both are supposed to be crank figures. The compressor maps for both indicate that the airflow necessary to make the power numbers that have been made would not be possible, but it's been done, so you can take those as you will. Let me know if you want to make any changes to your order

Tom

Quick Reply: 50 vs 57 trim...