Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Trying To Get Rid Of Your Stock Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trying To Get Rid Of Your Stock Turbo

Well those of you that dont know I use to have a srt-4 before the evo. If you didnt know they are reverse rotation like the evo. I put together alot of info thread I gathered for some of my srt friends on local forum. So I hope you can see were this is going (trying help you guys out as well as other people). I am sure they can see an easy 375-420 with there 2.4 liter with the right setup/tune I can image the tq as well. So if you have some skittles friends that needs an upgrade and you have a stock turbo, then you can help each other out. Below is the thread I made enjoy:

Originally Posted by bnice01
Alright I was talking to Dusty about doing this since he wanted an idea for more power but at a decent price, since I had an extra evo turbo lying around the idea hit. So I took the time to search on the srtforum and gathered some useful info for you guys. I know it could be done but I never search or took the time to do it since I had a 20g. The guys use a s3 manifold because there turbine houses are 10cm2, stock evo8’s minimum turbine housing is 9.8cm2. So you can see why they elected to use the s3 manifold, plus it’s a step up from the restrictive stock manifold.

I found 3 members on the srt-4 running Evo 8 Turbo:

Jesrturbo ( He is using a Evo 9 turbo with a 5 blade 20g wheel. Evo guys have been seeing mid 400 with these turbo, image what he can do with a 2.4)
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...7&postcount=52

thirteens420k
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...o+VIII+16g+man ifold

fixit
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=318192

Good Info on upgrading:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/show...ll+these+wheel s+work

If you get lost on all this mitsu turbo talk here is a nice turbo guide that taught me alot a while back:
http://www.stealth316.com/2-turboguide.htm

Hybrid Q/A

Can I use my stock manifold with the upgrade:

No the evo 8 uses a TD05 turbine wheel, the minimum size housing it uses stock is 9.8 cm2. The Srt-4 Factory turbine house is 6 cm2, no porting can achieve that size or scroll that high.

Can I use the stock TD04 turbine wheel (exhaust) instead & have it balanced with the new compressor wheel:

Yes you can but why would you put a turbine wheel designed for a smaller compressor wheel, when you have the wheel design for it right there. You want the turbo to spin at its full potential and the stock manifold is restrictive enough. Plus sending off to get balance requires waiting LOL

Can I swap compressor wheels, balance it, and port my stock TD04 compressor to fit the new wheel:

Yes you can but why when you have a bigger compressor housing that came with the turbo. Plus the previous statement should answer your question since you will be using the TD04 turbine wheel.

What I have learned is DO it right the first time
I seen Force Performance on srtforums selling s3's maybe this can be idea for a new project to bring in some nice $$. You have a turbo that out performs stage 3 and spool just as fast.

Last edited by bnice01; Aug 10, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

I have an 8 turbo collecting dust. I'd have no problem getting rid of it for cheap...
Old Aug 10, 2007, 05:53 PM

I also have one with a 10.5 hot side sitting in the garage, needs a good home
Old Aug 10, 2007, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

bad thing is you cant use your hotside 1. its a twin scroll design 2. if you want to bolt the reverse style turbo you have to use the dodge turbo manifold. I dont know if you seen one but dodge was so "smart" they made a manifold and turbine housing as one piece. I would share my comments but there negative.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

i have one too...evo 8 turbo with 17k miles. No racing, no driving it hard.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bnice01
I dont know if you seen one but dodge was so "smart" they made a manifold and turbine housing as one piece. I would share my comments but there negative.