Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Does your BOV hold Boost?? What are you using?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2007, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forge EVO15...just installed tonight and love it so far!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
My stock IX valve works great for boosting 29lbs.
you owe me a ride in your car!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:45 AM
Evolved Member

Forge non-adjustable at 21-22 psi. I had the forge adjustable one and it was either messed up or i couldnt get it to adjust right. I had the IX valve on my VIII and i was having idle issues. Nothing wrong with the forge minus a little flutter.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 02:33 AM

I'm currently running an old school Blitz BOV, I pressure tested and it holds boost well, but I'd still like to switch to an OEM IX BOV or something that holds boost well that I can recirculate, I'm not a fan of VTA.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
I boost leak tested an evo that had an aps dual vent p.o.s and it didnt hold boost. It leaked out the adjustment screw on the top, he took it off an bought a stock IX bov.

The stock IX (jdm MR) is a great bov and will hold boost well for most people and then you can modify it by crushing (1G dsm trick) to hold a little more boost or "Gus Mod it". http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html
Almost every BOV with an adjusment screw leaks there. That's what they make teflon tape for...

After having half a dozen BOVs tat leaked and had issues, I fashioned a tester out of HW store parts.
Attach the compressor and crank up the pressure...

Pic with Greddy RS unit

My MR valve leaked at 19psi. Crushed it held to 21psi.
I bought the APS dual vent. First test, and yes, it hissed at the screw. A little teflon tape and retest.
It held 40psi with no loss for over 5 mins. No complaints here with the APS unit

Last edited by mikesevo8; Aug 14, 2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

greddy type-s 23 spike to 20-21 hold
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you post more results, or pm me.....

I've been looking into bov's, im not a big fan of how the aps sounds though. our testing was very similar... hold 38 psi without leaking. My stock ix crushed leaked at 26-27...

How did the greddy rs and s do.... what else have u tested?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by mikesevo8
Almost every BOV with an adjusment screw leaks there. That's what they make teflon tape for...

After having half a dozen BOVs tat leaked and had issues, I fashioned a tester out of HW store parts.
Attach the compressor and crank up the pressure...

Pic with Greddy RS unit

My MR valve leaked at 19psi. Crushed it held to 21psi.
I bought the APS dual vent. First test, and yes, it hissed at the screw. A little teflon tape and retest.
It held 40psi with no loss for over 5 mins. No complaints here with the APS unit
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL MR
forge rs.
Forge RS +1
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by travman
The stock IX (jdm MR) is a great bov and will hold boost well for most people and then you can modify it by crushing (1G dsm trick) to hold a little more boost or "Gus Mod it". http://www.thedodgegarage.com/turbo_bov_mod.html
Originally Posted by C6C6CH3vo
Hold's whatever is behind it.

It's a stock valve that I added an additional port (under diaghram) solenoid controlled which is energized by the throttle VDC option in the IC relay parameter. Tried to explain as simple as possible but it works like stock if TPS < 2.2 volts and holds solid if >.
I agree ^. Gus modding a 1G or IX DV is the way to go. You can go with the dejon leak stop kit or a tps controlled solenoid which is what I use and prefer. C6C6CH3vo already explained above how it works. You get stock like driveability with the ability to hold 30psi+ leak free. I've personally pressure tested mine to 32psi and it held leak free.

How to modify the DV by Trinydex
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

APS w/teflon at the screw too, and my IX valve was great till about 26 psi, above that it leaked, also as far as flutter w/stock IX DV, make sure its not backwards.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fastrob691
IX valve was great till about 26 psi, above that it leaked.
This is true and is the only reason why I replaced my metal stock BOV.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JDM bov oem is the best out there for our cars if you're under 23psi-maybe 25 depends on the setup. IF you still having issues, make sure you do the boost leak test. check for lower pipe upper, vacum for gauge... gl
Old Aug 14, 2007, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tweakdsm
JDM bov oem is the best out there for our cars if you're under 23psi-maybe 25 depends on the setup. IF you still having issues, make sure you do the boost leak test. check for lower pipe upper, vacum for gauge... gl

and for people running 27-30 pounds... we're screwed... Im still not sold on the forge... i know u had so/so results along with couple other friends.... but i know you guys did some real testing...

The guys that say forge is working well... Have you actually gone thru the real steps of testing?

Seems like im gonna end up with the aps, doesnt seem like i have any other option until Tial comes out with a recirc bov for us

Cheers!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 4 Wheel Slide
Can you post more results, or pm me.....

I've been looking into bov's, im not a big fan of how the aps sounds though. our testing was very similar... hold 38 psi without leaking. My stock ix crushed leaked at 26-27...

How did the greddy rs and s do.... what else have u tested?

Thanks!
My APS doesn't sound like much of anything, go figure...

My Greddy type S and RS are both NG - they both have torn diaphrams.
The MR DV starting leaking at 20. The OEM plastic DV couldn't make 10.
That's all I had, those 5.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 05:40 PM

I had a GReddy diaphragm tear as well. They will hold for a while but aren't very good in the long term. I actually had two that tore. If you have an OEM plastic swap that out for at least the IX (JDM MR) BOV. It looks like many are using the Forge w/ out issues. I don't know where my AP valve was leaking from but when I get the car back I'll try some teflon tape on the adjuster screw. It was a twin vent so I'm wondering if the cap on the vent side was leaking as well when it recirc'ed.

Quick Reply: Does your BOV hold Boost?? What are you using?