Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 or 2.4 stroker + Big Turbos (Explain Driving Experience)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2007, 03:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kjewer1
I've run 2 liters with turbos up to 35r, and 2.3s with turbos up to T67. The 2.3s spool the turbo much earlier, and flow about 15% more air mass at the same boost. While the strokers don't rev as high, they don't need to. They move more air at lower rpm. The problem is that higher rev limits allow you to take advantage of lower gearing for more of the track's length, and good ET to MPH ratio has a lot to do with gearing.

What it comes down to as always is the intended use of the car.

-A stroker will spool a big turbo on the street, and move more air at less boost, which is absolutely key for pump gas HP (airflow is power potential, boost is heat. And on pump gas, heat is knock, which means less timing, which means less HP), along with excellent intercooling.

-A 2 liter will spool big turbos real late, but make up for it with a higher redline. The higher RPM potential puts you in lower gears for more of the track, which helps ETs. The reduced airflow to boost pressure ratio is simply made up for with more boost, which on race gas carries a much lower knock penalty for obvious reasons.
15% more air at what boost and RPM? the motors that whine out to 9K+ are moving more air than a stroker depending on the rod ratio and bore. i dont know the specifics, but i believe a built 2.0 at 9500 moves more air than the stroker at max efficency.

excessive heat in the cylinder and hotspots leads to det. heat is great for the car provided we're talking about exhuast gas temps

just like he said; just like i said...what do you want your car for?

Last edited by blackevo110; Aug 15, 2007 at 06:56 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about for highway pulling power? Would a 2.0l be more desirable since you go higher into the rpm and take advantage of the top end or would a 2.3l be better for highway pulls? Also anyone use or have opinions on the 2.1 or 2.2l engines. They seem to give the best of both worlds with added displacement and the ability to rev till 9k.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:43 AM

I guess I'm spoiled by my stock turbo which under most conditions hits full boost by 2800-3000 rpm. Even if it's a little off the 'big turbo' topic of this thread, I have wondered what a 2.3-2.4 liter with a 3076 or green turbo (upgrade but still fast spooling) would feel like. Would this be a way of getting near stock spool with more power potential?
This is the setup that I have, and I can tell you, the spool is almost dead-on to the stock spool. Just like you said, similar power curve but with 100 more ft/lbs of torque EVERYWHERE! and I'm not even professionally tuned yet(just set up a conservative tune with my AFC). It also holds full boost(21 psi) past redline on the 2.4. A 35r would be stronger on race gas up top, but I would argue that the 2.4/3076 is one of the strongest setups for the evo on pump gas only as far as power under the curve is concerned. However, I live in Cali; so pump gas for me is 91 and would be unsafe to boost much higher than 22 psi. I'm sure if I got tuned for C-16, my turbo would easily run out of breath on the 2.4 like mentioned earlier I personally don't see the point in running a 35r or bigger unless you plan to use racegas/meth on a consistent basis.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by blackevo110
15% more air at what boost and RPM? the motors that whine out to 9K+ are moving more air than a stroker depending on the rod ratio and bore. i dont know the specifics, but i believe a built 2.0 at 9500 moves more air than the stroker at max efficency.

excessive heat in the cylinder and hotspots leads to det. heat is great for the car provided we're talking about exhuast gas temps

just like he said; just like i said...what do you want your car for?
A stroker will only move more air if you compare the 2.4/2.3L at the same rpm as the 2.0L for example if both were limited by the stock intake. With both at the same peak VE a 2.3L at 7100rpm moves the same amount of air as a 2.0L does at 8500rpm.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 2.3s spool the turbo much earlier, and flow about 15% more air mass at the same boost.
At the same boost means at the same boost. Pick a boost level, the larger displacement will move more air than the smaller. That's the whole point after all. Boost, airflow, and displacement are all linked. Increase displacement and you will move more air at a given boost level, and max out a given turbo at a lower boost pressure. HP is directly proportional to mass airflow per unit time, and torque is directly proportional to mass airflow per revolution. Strokers can make the same HP as 2 liters, but making the same power at higher RPM makes 2 liters better suited to drag racing. As I said earlier, the airflow dissadvantage is compensated for by running higher boost to achieve the same airflow/power.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

ams has a new block out seems very impressive,AMS EVO VIII/IX 2.3RR motor
seems you can rev it out pretty hi even though its stroked ,i think with a 35 r this would be the best street/strip motor..heres a link

http://www.amsperformance.com/store/...oducts_id=1639

Old Aug 15, 2007, 01:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Strokers can make the same HP as 2 liters, but making the same power at higher RPM makes 2 liters better suited to drag racing. ... higher rev limits allow you to take advantage of lower gearing for more of the track's length, and good ET to MPH ratio has a lot to do with gearing.
This is why the shorter stroke motor is favored for drag racing. Generating the same power, but at higher rpm is akin to having the car in a lower gear.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvolutionBoy67
what about using hte JUN 2.2 or Cosworth 2.2 and getting the extra low end with the ability to still rev till 9k or AMS's new 2.3l stroker that can rev high. That gives you the best of both worlds but its very expensive.
that's my thoughts also...

The extra capacity can help a little bit but it is amazing how revvy these combos can be... I dont have any experience with the Cossie 2.2 yet, but a friend has a Jun 2.2 shortblock, cossie head, hks kansai manifold, autotronic and a AMS GT42R kit... it manages to spool this huge turbo decently and still be able to rev it well over 9000 rpm... (made 888whp on a mustang dyno by the way on VP Import and 3.5bar)

i believe such combo with a GT35R or even a GT37R which are much more smaller turbos than the GT42R would be a killer...

the only problem is the MEGA MONEY it costs as a already pre-assembled Cossie 2.2 shortblock goes for around 9500 grand plus the head...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jazznevoluva
I have a 2.4 4g64 with a gt3076r turbo. I know that turbo would be considered "small" in this thread, but I thought I'd put in my 2 cents for comparison. with the 3076 and 2.4, the spool rate feels identical to the spool rate of the stock 16g turbo on the 2.0. I havent even had the car professionally tuned yet, but it will hit 20+ psi at 3200 rpm and does NOT taper off at 7k like the stocker does. This setup will give a broad powerband from 3.2k to 8k. Good setup for autocross, road racing, and still decent at the drag strip.

JB
THAT is the ideal setup IMO
Old Aug 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by kouzman
. . . but it is amazing how revvy these combos can be... and still be able to rev it well over 9000 rpm...
Ok, but terms and phrases like 'revvy', and 'the ability to rev' don't reveal anything about the real power curve.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Ok, but terms and phrases like 'revvy', and 'the ability to rev' don't reveal anything about the real power curve.
i will ask him if he wants to give me a dynosheet to post...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:25 PM
EvoM Guru

That would be helpful. Also, keep in mind that IIRC, the JUN 2.2 setup uses a 94mm crank, which is only half the difference between the stock 88mm and the 4G64 100mm. Something to think about. . .
Old Aug 15, 2007, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

is this good or bad?

the half difference between the stock 88mm and the 100mm crank...
Old Aug 15, 2007, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 2.4LAWDTalon
A stroker will only move more air if you compare the 2.4/2.3L at the same rpm as the 2.0L for example if both were limited by the stock intake. With both at the same peak VE a 2.3L at 7100rpm moves the same amount of air as a 2.0L does at 8500rpm.
and when your short rod ratio motor falls off the map and the 2.0 or whatever other long rod motor is still singing well past 8500, whos the champion of that match? the one moving more air longer.

we'll say some random mods on the 2.3 is spooling a 4067 (single scroll) and full boost hits at about 5000 and we'll say (because i dont know...) it hits peak VE at 8k, after that youre headed on a down slope with your power/air moving efficently so you shift and stay in your power...i dont know how long youre in gear but here is my arguement i guess

a 2.0 (built) is supported well enough to spool the same turbo to full boost by 5600. if youre running that motor out to 9500 before its out of volumetric efficency and you need to shift...who is in gear longer moving more air?

i didnt even think about it... forget all the mods...if the motor was NA who would be able to move more air for longer? dont get me wrong im a fan of quite a few set-ups. like i said, i have a 2.4l stroker...of course i do see the error in my ways, but at the same time itll spool a big turbo sooner on the street and on the track...either way im not a driver...im certainly not strong about any one facet of the automotive world...but im working on it.

at the end of the day it does and always will come down to what the driver wants.

Last edited by blackevo110; Aug 16, 2007 at 03:18 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

the only real difference between the 2.3 and the 2.0 is where they natrually have there peak VE's occur and what they can be rev'ed to why still carrying out VE's via turbo, cams, head job, and both manifolds...
personally I don't like either...off the shelf the 2.2 sounds like the motor I would most like...really middle ground for the two. I really wouldn't take any of them as I can think of a setup that would be a good bit better IMO.

Quick Reply: 2.3 or 2.4 stroker + Big Turbos (Explain Driving Experience)