Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost problem

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost problem

Ok here is what is happening

Ok so i have my boost set at 21 psi just for daily driving (93 octane). no problems always boosts great.

2 days ago i started to get a few things changed on my car to take to the track. I changed out my BOV. i use the forge rs for in town driving because i like the sound. I replaced it with the Evo 9 BOV. Got it in, took the car out got in third gear, then WOT it boosts at 28 PSI and stays there til i let off the gas. I freak out, pull over and turn the Forge MBC down 10 clicks. Take it out drive it again and boosts at 16 PSI, after a few more test drives i end up turning it back up 10 clicks and it boosts right at 21 psi. I thought it was a fluke..

Today i do a boost leak test, find 5 boost leaks, tighten the clamps down and get all of them fixed except for 1, which is a leak between the turbo and the Lower intercooler pipe, i think it is the gasket cuz i have the bolts tightened dow all the way ( i checked for tightness). it isnt a hugh leak but enough to loos 10 psi in about 20 seconds on a boost leak test.

I put everything back on take it out and drive it. get it in 3rd gear, then WOT and 28 PSI AGAIN. turn the MBC down 5 clicks then it boosts at 18 PSI, take it out for a few more test drives and end up turning it back up 5 clicks to boost at 21 psi.

Well i got it to the track today. Last tiem i was there i ran a 12.5 at 24 PSI. I turn up the MBC 6 clicks, run down the track at 23 psi and get a 13.8.... SO i take it back to the pit, turn up the MBC 2 clicks. take it back out and i watch my boost in every gear. this is what i was getting... 1st gear - 24 psi, 2nd gear - 22 psi, 3rd gear - 20 psi and 4th gear - 23 psi. and ran a 13.3 in the 1/4 mile.... WTF!!!

I have no clue what to even do, i ordered a new gasket for the turbo to LICP, but i dont know if that is what is causing this or if my MBC is going out. All my hoses are tight between the MBC and LICP, also i checked the hoses between the MBC and the BOV...

Any ideas?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, tell us, why exactly you switched from the Forge RS to the MR DV? Isn´t there a way to adjust the RS via different springs or an adjustment knob?

I´d think that the move to the MR DV is a downgrade. I wouldn´t trust the MR DV to hold very well for high boost levels in racing applications. The example that I have used to start leaking at 11 PSI. I have since crushed the thing and it holds better, but it cackles and flutters audibly.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 18, 2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2007, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

I was told by AMS Performance that the stock Evo 9 BOV is the best BOV out there right now. I told them i race my car on the weekends and that it is also my daily driver. They said that the stock Evo 9 BOV holds boost great and is a great BOV and after using it i agree completely.

Also I havent done anything to my car in two days now, i got in my car this morning and was getting on the interstate, i was in third gear and floored it and once again it boosted to 28 psi... i have no idea what i going on with the boost problem i am having but i dont want to drive it anymore until it is fixed i am afraid one of these times it is going to seriously hurt my engine
Old Aug 30, 2007, 06:56 AM

Open up your UNOS and check the inside for corrosion, if you find any drop me an email or PM and I will send you a rebuild kit.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sucks u should put the forge back on and see what happens