Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

457 TQ 430 WHP - Maxing out the stock injectors with 93 octane and alcky !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh wow, no injectors? What about 23PSI on pump gas?
Old Aug 22, 2007, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You do NOT need upgraded injectors on the Evogreen all the way to 35psi when using a meth injection kit of sufficient components.
TTP is 100% correct on this matter. 10% of fuel was taken OUT of my stock injectors during my tune because I am injecting a sufficient amount of methanol. I am boosting around 29psi and at peak torque I am hitting 11.3a/f and it slowly creeps up to 11.5 by redline. The stock injectors will provide the car with plenty of fuel, as long as you have an adequate alcohol injection kit. 2 x 1.0mm nozzles provides me with a ton of methanol to keep 29lbs completely safe. I also have an amazing failsafe.

Last edited by xiaoni420; Aug 22, 2007 at 10:31 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:32 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by xiaoni420
TTP is 100% correct on this matter. 10% of fuel was taken OUT of my stock injectors during my tune because I am injecting a sufficient amount of methanol. I am boosting around 29psi and at peak torque I am hitting 11.3a/f and it slowly creeps up to 11.5 by redline. The stock injectors will provide the car with plenty of fuel, as long as you have an adequate alcohol injection kit. 2 x 1.0mm nozzles provides me with a ton of methanol to keep 29lbs completely safe. I also have an amazing failsafe.
My concept is to use the EFI system of the car to supplyh the needed fuel and have the meth kit suppliment enough alcohol to aide in tuning

As the stock ecu / EFI system is vastly more refined and complex than a crude progressive based alchy system the car will run smoother and adapt to environmental changes better when you do not rely on the meth for basic fueling needs

Most meth injection kits use a very crude progressive based set up where the pump is driven on varying duty cycles and overall spray flow is set by a nozzel size. This form of mechanical injection is very crude and outdated compared to modern efi.

It is better IMHO to have properly sized injectors for your application and use alchy as a tuning adie and supliment and not a source of fuel to make up for too small injectors.

Al
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:52 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DynoFlash
My concept is to use the EFI system of the car to supplyh the needed fuel and have the meth kit suppliment enough alcohol to aide in tuning

As the stock ecu / EFI system is vastly more refined and complex than a crude progressive based alchy system the car will run smoother and adapt to environmental changes better when you do not rely on the meth for basic fueling needs

Most meth injection kits use a very crude progressive based set up where the pump is driven on varying duty cycles and overall spray flow is set by a nozzel size. This form of mechanical injection is very crude and outdated compared to modern efi.

It is better IMHO to have properly sized injectors for your application and use alchy as a tuning adie and supliment and not a source of fuel to make up for too small injectors.

Al
By the time the pressure switch is reached at 10psi or so it is not necessary that extreme precision is used in supplying methanol. Methanol is progressively added based on boost from switch on point and higher. With effective tuning, and proper safeguards in place there is no place for concern.

John Shepard is one of the only ones I know of that uses an actual electronic injector to fuel the methanol as he runs 100% methanol through injectors and no gasoline. There is no system available that runs on a fuel pump and electronic injector in the performance meth injection marketplace.

Meth injection should not be an aide. Meth injection should be a system calculated to provide adequate fueling to support the boost levels and octane fuel it is being used for.

If you are looking for a pump gas tune with a sprinkle of AIT cooling, water injection alone would be more beneficial for 24-26psi.

Meth injection is wasting your time and money for that application.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DynoFlash

Al
xiaoni420 is running your favourite aquamist hfs-5
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can hear both sides to this debate. But (i think) when it comes down to it the consumer (me and others like me) wants to feel safe about the tune they are getting. I think using Alky to aid in the tunning looks a little safer to me and i would want to use it that way. With so many threads about nozzles getting clogged or people not noticing that they ran out of meth too soon due to evaporation i couldn't see the risk justified by going for big horse with meth being the primary contributer to the numbers. I am more on Als side to tell you the truth. I would love the numbers that more dependancy on Meth puts up but at what cost....sorry man i am a military man, i can't afford to take the chance of replacing and engine.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Aux.
I can hear both sides to this debate. But (i think) when it comes down to it the consumer (me and others like me) wants to feel safe about the tune they are getting. I think using Alky to aid in the tunning looks a little safer to me and i would want to use it that way. With so many threads about nozzles getting clogged or people not noticing that they ran out of meth too soon due to evaporation i couldn't see the risk justified by going for big horse with meth being the primary contributer to the numbers. I am more on Als side to tell you the truth. I would love the numbers that more dependancy on Meth puts up but at what cost....sorry man i am a military man, i can't afford to take the chance of replacing and engine.
Look carefully at what TTP said... "proper safeguards in place there is no place for concern." I agree with both Al and TTP here. I bought methanol to run high boost and make damn good power. I think running methanol at 24-26psi is a complete waste. I ran 24psi on pump gas with the stock turbo and made great power for 67,000 miles. No reliability issues. I think people are a little too worried about reliability. There are high mileage EVOs that are just fine. I have 74,000 miles on mine and no signs of slowing down.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Agreeg, no reason to run Alky/Meth unless you plan on making big 30+PSI numbers.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Aux.
With so many threads about nozzles getting clogged...
Find me one and you will win a prize.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Soon2BEVO
I ran 24psi on pump gas with the stock turbo and made great power for 67,000 miles. No reliability issues. I think people are a little too worried about reliability. There are high mileage EVOs that are just fine. I have 74,000 miles on mine and no signs of slowing down.
I agree, with a proper tune it's a non issue, however as a Tuner we have to draw a line somewhere and say "this is far as I'll go with a customers car".
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Man, I like both Dynoflash and TTP, but these two have been at it about the methanol max psi thing for a while now! What's the correct answer? I'd like to hear from some other sources like AMS, Buschur, Turbotrix, etc... Both TTP and big Al never really had any failures due to Methanol TUNING, so I guess it's just a different style of tuning. One being slightly more conservative and the other being very aggressive. The main question I guess is what the customer wants to risk...
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ You guys sound like a bunch of dyno queens. Chemical intercooling is a huge advantage for people that actually beat on their cars for more than 11 seconds at a shot. Try road racing a lightly modded EVO for 30 minutes straight on pump at 24psi and see what happens.

The correct answer is another question.... Do yo have big go-nads or not?

Personally I think meth/alchy provides a huge bang for buck. Race gas on demand without the associated cost of consumption when not at WOT.

The truth is 24psi should be enough for daily driving. You can always tune for 30psi and crank it up on the weekends when needed.

If you take care of your junk odds are you aren't going to have a problem.

Last edited by EVIL_EV0; Aug 22, 2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Another thing I think people fail to realize is that at 24 psi on methanol, you can run an extremely more aggressive tune (timing, afr's) than you can with 24 psi on straight pump gas. So it is not a waste. Plenty more power is still being made at 24 psi on meth vs. pump. I guess the bottom line is how much farther you are willing to take the risk of going.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How often do you really need more than 350whp? Seriously. Nine out of Ten evos I see pounding around town aren't even racing another car! I for one wouldn't want to live on a bleeding edge tune especially day in and day out.

I ran alchy on my 03 at 24psi. I used it for intercooling. 100% knock free 350whp daily. Didn't matter if it was racing my shadow on an on-ramp or **** pounding the car during a lapping day. There was never a time that I wished I had another 50whp. I live by the 80/20 rule. Get 80% of the fun for 20% of the cost/risk.

I guess if you have a kick **** injection system with many automatic checks and balances then you may feel safe. Quite honestly most people have a bare bones alchy kit with a low level light and a spray light. Most people have their eyes on the road and not on the pretty lights.

Last edited by EVIL_EV0; Aug 22, 2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Another thing I think people fail to realize is that at 24 psi on methanol, you can run an extremely more aggressive tune (timing, afr's) than you can with 24 psi on straight pump gas. So it is not a waste. Plenty more power is still being made at 24 psi on meth vs. pump. I guess the bottom line is how much farther you are willing to take the risk of going.

Yeah we all know you can run more timing, but once you do that, you are defeating the purpose of running less boost with methanol. Too much timing can blow up your motor just like too much boost can. All we are saying is that running methanol at 24psi - the only thing you can really do is advance the timing and the power you make from that will not come near what you can do with more boost and timing. We are saying its a waste. Youre better off doing other mods most likely.

Quick Reply: 457 TQ 430 WHP - Maxing out the stock injectors with 93 octane and alcky !