Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Solid Motor mounts - knock?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2007, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid Motor mounts - knock?

Anyone experience your car almost stalling with solid motor mounts. I was driving around in traffic...95 degrees, turned on the air conditioning...and the car almost stalled sitting in traffic. Never was an issue before the solid motor mounts were installed.

I just had solid motor mounts put in the car, and it does vibrate pretty good, but now I am worried it might be vibrating so much that the knock sensor could be telling the car something is wrong?

just wondering if maybe i should put the stock motor mounts back on....

Last edited by gt420hp; Aug 25, 2007 at 06:27 PM.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:15 AM

solid motor mounts has nothing to do with your stalling. what else was done to your car aside from the mounts?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a feeling you didnt reconnect something during the install.....

itll vibrate but doesnt affect tuning
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you have knock counts? that would be the only way to confirm if knock wasoccurring.

Shouldnt stiffer mounts decrease knock?

I doubt it was knock man
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Phantom knock can occur from stiff mounts. Use some type of datalogger to see where and when the knock takes place (if any) . When the AC kicks on, the idle should step up a few hundred RPM. Does this happen?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Can phantom knock occur from just a stiffer front engine mount?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

I had the 5speed tranny installed with the solid motor mounts. The tranny works fine, and the car runs great...accept when I turn the AC on. I will have to data log and see what my knock count is like...
Old Aug 25, 2007, 05:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
The only reason I asked is I am trying to diagnose a phantom knock issue myself. I tend to get knock on spool-up, although I have a log where my knock counts jumped to 11 off throttle with little to no load.

Something is hitting something somewhere, I am just trying to deduce the reasons for the knock. I think I have eliminated the rear sway bar as a reason...it is no longer hitting the exhaust.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

you will feel most of the vibration when the AC is on , specially at dead stop and if it feels like its gonna stall just rev it a bit and you'll be good
Old Aug 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which motor mounts do you have (sides, front/rear or what?) And what kind? Buschur?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Which motor mounts do you have (sides, front/rear or what?) And what kind? Buschur?
I have the Buschur mounts (pair). I am assuming front and rear....I just had the Mitsu mechanic install them when he did the tranny...
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
knock should have nothing to do with the mounts
Old Sep 6, 2020, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
So i just got tuned, half throttle check engine light flashes and sometimes under full load same thing. Tuner told me since i have the motor and trans and mount that its a lie. i feel this is wrong can someone else make me feel better. or do i need a new tune.
also I'm just making sure I'm not overthinking everything but my ideal is also high.

Pleae help
Old Sep 7, 2020, 06:42 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
So i just got tuned, half throttle check engine light flashes and sometimes under full load same thing. Tuner told me since i have the motor and trans and mount that its a lie. i feel this is wrong can someone else make me feel better. or do i need a new tune.
also I'm just making sure I'm not overthinking everything but my ideal is also high.

Pleae help
Find a new a tuner.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Just to help any one who is experiencing or might experience knock, but does not know if it is true det or not. External noises as in engine bay area, created by ancillary parts do not interfere with the knock sensor nor do these cause false knock readings. Knock sensor are manufactured and calibrated as such, so as to read in specific high frequency patterns from certain Hz up to certain Hz, none of the external ancillaries of an engine can cause noise in that specific frequency window. Only internal engine parts can create such frequency noise of false knock mostly from the harmonic vibrations of the crankshaft, or vibrating noise caused by valve-train components/parts.

If one uses internal parts that are widely used and are not known to cause any such noise falling into that frequency window, then the knock warning/flashing you will see, it is most definitely real.

Make sure you calibrate your knock sensor/s correctly, and that its sensitivity settings are at the right level. A quality knock sensor, correctly calibrated and on very high sensitivity level can pick up the slightest harmful amount of knock. NOT all knock readings are harmful to the engine, very very light knock is ok, all engines knock, regardless of how safe the tune is, even bone stock engines on bone stock tune suffer from very mild pre-ignition issues, and or very mild det issues due to an anomalous combustion but these are not harmful to the engine components, and are not picked up by knock sensors, especially factory ones, as there is no need. Now if you use an aftermarket knock sensor strategy/system, with a broader frequency window, more sensitive, with more sensitivity adjustability, especially if you use two sensors on two different key locations, they might actually pick this faint knock noise up.

Ecu/knock sensor manufacturers explicitly point out, from which readings and onwards from their knock sensor system in association with their ecu unit and its firmware, are to be considered harmful knock. Any experience tuner knows and can very well distinguish real knock from false knock, and of course when one is in doubt a quality set of det cans/module/sensor is a must.

Marios

Last edited by Evo8cy; Sep 8, 2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Solid Motor mounts - knock?