Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

N-Tercoler Intercooler chiller

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2003, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL, you could get your local coca cola shop to get you a C02 tank and thats about it.
Old Jul 7, 2003, 12:24 PM

Nitrous oxide is a terrible greenhouse gas (many times worse than CO2 or CO). Not to mention it's flammable. Don't vent it to atmosphere...

Hopefully, you keep your CO2 tanks at room temperature. Overheat them a little and BOOM!

Why not just use compressed air? Much cheaper gas. There are cooling systems that use that already (not for cars).
Old Jul 7, 2003, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by makku
Nitrous oxide is a terrible greenhouse gas (many times worse than CO2 or CO). Not to mention it's flammable. Don't vent it to atmosphere...

Hopefully, you keep your CO2 tanks at room temperature. Overheat them a little and BOOM!

Why not just use compressed air? Much cheaper gas. There are cooling systems that use that already (not for cars).
Nitrous oxide is not flammable. It supports combustion, as WildRice points out. But it doesn't burn on its own.

Any compressed-gas liquid tank needs to be handled and filled with care. They should be left with some space inside for thermal expansion. If over-filled with liquid, they can indeed explode from expansion if they get warmer, since liquid is effectively non-compressable. Any good nitrous bottle will have a pop-off safety valve incorporated in it.

Compressed air (like from an air compressor) is usually in gaseous form, not liquid. If it was compressed enough to be liquid, I wouldn't imagine it would be any cheaper than CO2. Liquid CO2 is really cheap!

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Jul 7, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

could I have it filled at your shop? Im not far from you and would like to pick up this kit as soon as I get a new IC...

-Shahul
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

I have not seen many CO2 fire extinguishers heat up and go boom. To that end, I am working up a proto type using a previously owned extinguisher tank (check your local fire extinguisher service, they refill'em too) and soleniod controled valve (any good hardware supply Co.). My materials list is around 100 bucks and uses copper tubing and modified lawn sprinkler nozzels. Not to worry, I am tucking the tube "halo" behind the front facia so I won't embarrass anyone with my kludge.
Old Jul 10, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by WildRice
I have not seen many CO2 fire extinguishers heat up and go boom. To that end, I am working up a proto type using a previously owned extinguisher tank (check your local fire extinguisher service, they refill'em too) and soleniod controled valve (any good hardware supply Co.). My materials list is around 100 bucks and uses copper tubing and modified lawn sprinkler nozzels. Not to worry, I am tucking the tube "halo" behind the front facia so I won't embarrass anyone with my kludge.

hehehe, i cant wait to see pics! pretty innovative arent ya
Old Jul 10, 2003, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WildRice
I can't understand going through all that effort to hack together a kit that obviously ain't going to be as good as a unit from NE - - - espcially when you'll only save at most $200.00 by making from a fire extinquisher
Old Jul 10, 2003, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mach V Dan

Nitrous oxide is not flammable. It supports combustion, as WildRice points out. But it doesn't burn on its own.

Any compressed-gas liquid tank needs to be handled and filled with care. They should be left with some space inside for thermal expansion. If over-filled with liquid, they can indeed explode from expansion if they get warmer, since liquid is effectively non-compressable. Any good nitrous bottle will have a pop-off safety valve incorporated in it.

Compressed air (like from an air compressor) is usually in gaseous form, not liquid. If it was compressed enough to be liquid, I wouldn't imagine it would be any cheaper than CO2. Liquid CO2 is really cheap!

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
I imagine if you fill the bottle according to the specs on the label you would always have enough extra space inside - - I have left my NOS tanks out in 110 degree sunny days and they never had a problem - - finally those tanks have a 3000 psi safety membrane which is supposed to pop before the tank will explode

I always was wondering what would happen in the event of a major impact from a collision
Old Jul 10, 2003, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Somewhere on the 'net there's a site about some guy who hooked his nitrous kit up wrong, so the bottle heater could be left on even when the key was not in the ignition. Then...he left the heater on. Then the tank exploded. It split the trunk of his Maxima open like a banana. Parts of the car went through the garage door.

Moral: Read your install instructions.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com
Old Jul 11, 2003, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by designmanfx

hmmm... wish i had time to explain, oh well, w/ that system i'll probably be one of the safest evo on the street from detonation.
actually the methanol and water injection misting system is heavily used with rustangs and the lightning. it actually is a great system. someone on the club3G boards has the RIPP SDS kit, sportronic tranny, non-intercooled, using the methanol water-injection, and pushing something like 290whp.

RIPP actually is using use on their car instead of an FMIC. I talked to him yesterday and he said the temps are CRAZY cool and works better than the FMIC he was using. I think I am going to set this system up on my galant SDS
Old Jul 11, 2003, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

for your reading pleasures:

http://www.interex.co.uk/faq.html#3
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

for your viewing pleasure.... this is what an exloded 15lb nitrous bottle will do to your car.

not pretty....

SC~
Old Jul 11, 2003, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

remind me not to do that.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
for your viewing pleasure.... this is what an exloded 15lb nitrous bottle will do to your car.

not pretty....

SC~
Eep! I hope nobody was in it at the time.

Do we have any details on how the Nitrous Bottle exploded? Bad manufacture? Incorrect usage?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Sunder
Do we have any details on how the Nitrous Bottle exploded? Bad manufacture? Incorrect usage?
Uh, yeah. Re-read my post, about four posts up.

--Dan
Mach V
MachEVO.com

Quick Reply: N-Tercoler Intercooler chiller