Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

E85 Ethanol vs Methanol/Water injection - The search for higher octane

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 Ethanol vs Methanol/Water injection - The search for affordable high octane fuel

Due to my recent move to California, I've been obsessively researching the alternatives in search for a fuel better than the 91 octane found here. Please help me clear some facts, here is what I understand so far.
The car will be running like this until $$$$ is saved for a 35r kit:
Stock turbo 10.5 hotside, 3" TBE w/hfc, 272cams, apr head studs,walbro 255 fp, drop in filter, MBC. Pretty basic.

E85:
-Requires high flow fuel pump and sometimes 2 pumps.
-Bigger injectors. Stock ECU can tune up to 780-880 but 1000s require EMS.
- *Having trouble with this one: 30%-40% more volume needed.
So if more fuel is required, you are still back to ground zero; "a cheaper fuel but now you have to burn more of it ". Do you loose MPG for the exchange of higher octane=power?

Methanol injection:
-kits available and capable of being tuned with various octane fuels.
- *Having trouble with this one: Always available . As boost increases so does the amount of methanol/water mixture. ECU capable? Is this correct
-How much does a reservoir tank lasts on daily driving conditions with some spirited driving?

Your assistance will be appreciated

Last edited by sponger_pr; Sep 3, 2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 09:37 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Do some research in the Alky injection forum on this site, but both E85 and alky injection accomplish detonation resistance by the increased specific heat of the fuel used. Each molecule of fuel is able to absorb a much higher portion of heat compared to gasoline. Going 100% E85 is probably cheaper in the long run, but the mileage is the killer for me. I run alky injection, and have a 1Gal container in my trunk. I refill it about once per week, driving about 50 miles per day. An intense day of spirited driving (i.e. tons and tons of tuning/logging runs) will drain 3/4 of the tank.

I use the SMC kit, but if I got a new one, would go with the new Aquamist one. No matter what you do, you will have to re-tune the factory ECU. The stock ECU is injecting a certain amount of fuel, and you're dumping extra in with the alky kit.

Research is your friend here Search search search and read read read!
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:04 PM
Pd1
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sponger_pr
E85:
-Requires high flow fuel pump and sometimes 2 pumps.
-Bigger injectors. Stock ECU can tune up to 780-880 but 1000s require EMS.
This is incorrect. You can certainly run 1000cc injectors on the stock ECU. They can be scaled/tuned to run just like any smaller injector.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

You CAN run 1000's with the stock ECU. It's just harder to get it to run well and even then, you probably won't be able to have it run like stock.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This forum has sections dedicated to e85(alternative fuel) and water/alky/meth injection.

But there's no e85 in cali yet, afaik.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

yes.... someone is finally gonna speak the truth about the terrible gas out here
Old Sep 4, 2007, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I haven't seen any E85 stations out here in Cali so running E85 might be a problem; don't get me wrong, maybe there is but I haven't seen one. Meth seems like the best alternative for us guys in Cali.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:12 PM

Not to get out of subject, here is the only E85 station in San Diego right by my house. El Cajon Blvd and I-15.
http://e85vehicles.com/SanDiego-e85.htm

Im leaning a bit more towards methanol/water injection though. The more frequent visits to the pump with E85 might push me towards the meth/water injection option. Right now E85 there is sold for $2.56 which is not a great deal compared to some $1.99 in the east coast. I will run two maps of course, 91 and 91+meth. I'm having trouble finding methanol in San Diego and the Heet option at Walmart sounds like I'll have to purchase a case frequently. If I find a meth provider, do I just mix it 50/50 with distiled water. I wish to get some input on both fuels nevertheless. Thanks

Last edited by sponger_pr; Sep 4, 2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not to get out of subject, here is the only E85 station in San Diego right by my house. El Cajon Blvd and I-15.

Im leaning a bit more towards methanol/water injection though. The more frequent visits to the pump with E85 might push me towards the meth/water injection option. Right now E85 there is sold for $2.56 which is not a great deal compared to some $1.99 in the east coast. I will run two maps of course, 91 and 91+meth. I'm having trouble finding methanol in San Diego and the Heet option at Walmart sounds like I'll have to purchase a case frequently. If I find a meth provider, do I just mix it 50/50 with distiled water. I wish to get some input on both fuels nevertheless. Thanks
WOW never knew they had one down south.

Up here in NorCal we have no place but the Lawrence Livermore Laboratories but they don't sell to the public

$2.56 sound sgood to me when 91 shiet is $3.00+

On all my past cars i've been forced to just run 91 or straight VP 100 out of the pump.........$6.00/gallon
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

I
Same thing around me theres one station that sells e85 thats close to me. The issue with that is you always need to have enough gas to get back to that station. You can't switch back and forth between e85 and regular gas
Old Sep 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RnRjames
yes.... someone is finally gonna speak the truth about the terrible gas out here
Yes, our Califonia 91 octane has to be the worse. I've filled up with 91 octane from Nevada and Arizona and it still performed better than the crap we get here.

I've been running a 50/50 mix of distilled water and methanol for several years with my Aquamist water injection system. It's the only way that I've been able to run decently on 91 octane. I've been getting my methanol through a local chemical supplier. A 5 gallon bottle of methanol mixed with distilled water lasts me about 6-8 months at a time.

I want to play with some E85 as soon as it is available in the Los Angeles area.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Run both

I will
Old Sep 4, 2007, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is methanol something you can run doing auto-x, and your occasional spirited mountain run, or is it a quarter mile blast kind of thing?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:00 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
You can run it for autox, time trial, drag, street racing, going in reverse, and even while going through the drive through.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by scheides
You can run it for autox, time trial, drag, street racing, going in reverse, and even while going through the drive through.

You do have to be careful running it through the late night Taco Bell's. I had a friend tell me his uncle's cousin's sisters fiance's brother once blew up his motor doing that...

Quick Reply: E85 Ethanol vs Methanol/Water injection - The search for higher octane