Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP a load of crap?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATP a load of crap?

ok, I just got my transmission and transfer case rebuilt from sheptrans, New Pistons, Rods and Crankshaft, Ported and Polished head and a new fuel system. I also purchased the ATP GT35r Turbo Kit and an AEM EMS that just got here. I told my friends that I was aiming for 550-600hp and they laughed in my face and said that I would never be able to do that with the ATP 35r kit.

I thought ATP was a pretty good company. all the parts seemed to be well made. Is ATP like a cheap ebay turbo kit???

Here is the Link to the kit: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...gory_Code=VEVO
Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
ATP is a good company that offers some very good equipment. Make no mistake about that.

It's just that the general consensus here has always been that the ATP EVO kit makes concessions to make it compatible with the factory type exh manifold that aren't especially well suited to getting the most from the larger turbos.

As for how true this is, it's difficult to prove or disprove, as there is circumstantial evidence that points in both directions. I know one thing however, and that is it would be impossible to make sound judgment from dyno tests alone. It's the reports of actual driving experiences that caused me to turn in my ATP kit for something else, before I even installed it. The dyno only tells so much.

As for if you made the right choice or not, to be quite honest, the only ones who can enlighten you where that is concerned are those who installed an ATP kit, and have switched to something else, or driven other cars comparably equipped, but with different brands/types of kits.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure about the 35r kit but I know that the gt3071r kit preformed a lot better than everyone tries to act like. I have the GT3071R with 63 AR and don't even have some the bolt-ons that some people have put on with other kits and put down 401whp on 21.5-22 psi, 93 octane, and a reflash. The spool is good and the car pulls hard all the way through!!! I am not saying that there are not kits out there that can put down more power but for the money I don't think you can beat it!! So many people want to knock this kit but seriously how many $2300 dollar kits with a few bolt-ons can say they have reached 400 whp???!!!?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

True! Another question .. why is the ATP Kit so different from the other kits? I know it uses the stock manifold, should I port it?
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:14 PM
Account Disabled

Porting is what most people do with the atp kit to relieve some off the restriction. Your goals are obtainable with the right mods.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

You could port it to match your turbo that might help some (I am thinking about doing the same thing down the road). Like I said I am very happy and have seen on here that I am putting down around the same hp as other kits that cost $1000-$2000 more. AMS (who tuned my car) told me that with race gas or meth that I would have no trouble seeing 475+whp at 26-27 psi and that is out of a small GT30 kit!!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Zeller
You could port it to match your turbo that might help some (I am thinking about doing the same thing down the road). Like I said I am very happy and have seen on here that I am putting down around the same hp as other kits that cost $1000-$2000 more. AMS (who tuned my car) told me that with race gas or meth that I would have no trouble seeing 475+whp at 26-27 psi and that is out of a small GT30 kit!!
When do you see full boost with your kit in gears 1-5 ? what 30r turbo do you have exactly. What whp, and wtq are you producing at the moment at what psi with what mods? Thanks.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
ATP is a good company that offers some very good equipment. Make no mistake about that.

It's just that the general consensus here has always been that the ATP EVO kit makes concessions to make it compatible with the factory type exh manifold that aren't especially well suited to getting the most from the larger turbos.

As for how true this is, it's difficult to prove or disprove, as there is circumstantial evidence that points in both directions. I know one thing however, and that is it would be impossible to make sound judgment from dyno tests alone. It's the reports of actual driving experiences that caused me to turn in my ATP kit for something else, before I even installed it. The dyno only tells so much.

As for if you made the right choice or not, to be quite honest, the only ones who can enlighten you where that is concerned are those who installed an ATP kit, and have switched to something else, or driven other cars comparably equipped, but with different brands/types of kits.
i have to agree ted, the best way to find out is to find other people that had the kit or has the kit. i saw this kit a while back and considered it my self but not many people speak about it being high power.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
Account Disabled

Most people I have read about having any sort of atp kit are running conservative tunes with not many mods go figure.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

-ATP GT3071R w/.63 AR
-280 intake/272exhaust and cam gears
-255 walbro
-hks intake
-780 injectors
-TBE
-bushur port stock trottle body
-fmic w/licp and stock upper
-reflash at 21.5-22psi on 93 and holds at that boost all the way, no tapper!!
-401whp/320wtq and I beleive AMS told me that it is hitting full boost at 4100-4300rpm.

Like I said the car pulls hard all the way through and shortly after 4000rpms it hits and stays all the way through!! I give it 2 thumbs up for cost-hp and the kit was very easy to install!

Last edited by Zeller; Sep 5, 2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
First don't lissen to your friends, second, as for price this turbo kit is good!, now every Evo makes different HP and depends on your supporting mods! Tune, etc.

Good luck, 550+ ? no problem.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Zeller
-GT3071R w/.63 AR
-280 intake/272exhaust and cam gears
-255 walbro
-hks intake
-780 injectors
-TBE
-bushur port stock trottle body
-fmic w/licp and stock upper
-reflash at 21.5-22psi on 93 and holds at that boost all the way, no tapper!!
-401whp/320wtq and I beleive AMS told me that it is hitting full boost at 4100-4300rpm.

Like I said the car pulls hard all the way through and shortly after 4000rpms it hits and stays all the way through!! I give it 2 thumbs up for cost-hp and the kit was very easy to install!
What you need is a manifold,mbc, meth kit, and a larger intake, porting of the turbo hotside for sure, and not a super conservative tune. And these are only the important things I can think up of at the moment that should not cost to much to do, I've also read that the meagan manifold is the best manifold for the atp kit for flow of exhaust gases.

Last edited by Mines Evo IX; Sep 5, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input!!!! That is all on the list of stuff to get......I plan on breaking 500whp with this kit!!!! I bought this kit because I had an freak thing go wrong and blow out my turbo seals and so this was the best bang for your buck kit in my mind. That is why I don't have some of the other stuff done yet due to $ and time of trying to get the car back on the road!

Anyway for this guy I would not shy away from these kits and good luck with the 550whp!!!
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

For me a ported ATP 3037S is the best turbokit money can buy... with 2200 dollars you get a super complete kit and with some porting it can really shine...

Maybe it wont make the most power that a GT30R can make but it will be fairly close with a fraction of the cost!

Personally i wouldn't go bigger than the 3037S (3076R)...
Old Sep 5, 2007, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

Doomid made 588 whp on 26-27 psi on a atp gt35r well thorw it on and get it tune and let us know what your # is

Quick Reply: ATP a load of crap?