Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo IX, stock turbo, Aquamist HFS-5, 30 psi. Dyno Results.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rez90
I think people on this forum shouldn't put ideas in this guys head to make him paranoid about his car.....

It's probably fine.....

Just because the coolant res. overflowed doesn't mean he lifted the head.....

The resovoir might have been 3/4 full to begin with..........
You're right. It was 3/4 from the get go. Another reason I'm not too worried. Anyhow, I'm popping in some arps anyway for reassurance as I type this.

Back to work
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binh
You're right. It was 3/4 from the get go. Another reason I'm not too worried. Anyhow, I'm popping in some arps anyway for reassurance as I type this.

Back to work
Head studs never hurt.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

why didn't you install the head studs prior to all of this?

head studs and FP should be a MINIMAL requirement on ALL EVO's running 20.5psi or higher to reduce risk of head lifts, lean outs, stretched this and that, etc. . . .and labor for that is only $100 and another $100 for the bolts - $200 for security. . .let's hope for the best. . .
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
I would still do a leak down and compression test just to see if everything is ok. Even if you put head studs in the damage might already be done to the head gasket.

I would also do some logging on the street with the car when it has a bigger load than the dynojet to see how the tune is.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by shivaswrath
why didn't you install the head studs prior to all of this?

head studs and FP should be a MINIMAL requirement on ALL EVO's running 20.5psi or higher to reduce risk of head lifts, lean outs, stretched this and that, etc. . . .and labor for that is only $100 and another $100 for the bolts - $200 for security. . .let's hope for the best. . .

You should be able to run 22-23 psi on the stock turbo on the stock head bolts just fine.

I believe Sean Ivey is at his current power level(550whp) on the stock headbolts, so I guess its hit or miss.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:05 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
The advantage of studs has little to do with how much boost is run, but rather how much torque is generated. A larger turbo car that makes less torque, but more hp at the same boost pressure is not going to present the same stress as a car with a small turbo, and with a bigger torque figure. Greater torque equals greater cylinder pressure.

Nextly, a proper test to evaluate the potential of the injection is one that makes a comparison at the same boost pressure (let's say 25 psi or so), then with the injection activated, makes changes to the ignition map to see how much further the ignition values can be advanced vs. the regular pump fuel settings, and overlaying those two dyno charts. Otherwise, making one test at one boost pressure and the other at a different pressure muddies the results.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Update:

I drove the car home an 1h and 10 mins home from turbotrix last night with aggressive driving, cruising, etc and the car drove completely fine. The power delivery was great and there were no hesitations or anything. Most importantly there wasn't any white smoke coming from the exhaust. AFR's were in the low 11's.

I slapped in ARPs today. The install went nice and smooth.

I'll be cranking the boost back up to 28-29 psi. I'll be logging a couple things to see if everything looks ok.

Wish me luck
Old Sep 6, 2007, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Awesome numbers Binh. Great setup. EMS and HFS-5 on an IX is killer combo. I wonder how your car would do with a Green :-)
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by binh
What chance? It was all done under my consent.

I had a lot of friends running 30psi with meth and no head lift so I figure I could get away with the same. This just goes to show that every car is different.

And if the Motor let go you would be like "Oh well, I'll just pay the money to build another one." Many shops wouldn't let this happen regardless of who consented but as long as your happy. I would have your head inspected just to be sure.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by High_PSI
And if the Motor let go you would be like "Oh well, I'll just pay the money to build another one." Many shops wouldn't let this happen regardless of who consented but as long as your happy. I would have your head inspected just to be sure.
Maybe I should I get my own head inspected.
Old Sep 6, 2007, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Make sure you run that Bad boy at ATCO or Sept 22nd Mitsu Day.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:00 AM
Evolved Member

I've been driving the car a lot to make sure everything is ok and this is me when I get on the gas pedal------>

I checked the overflow a few times after a few spirited runs and there were no problems whatsoever.

The car feels really fast. I love it.
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MRevolutionRed
on the 2nd dyno sheet they had CF on otherwise you would have had less. i have seen a 30whp difference at times with that hp and CF on compared to no CF. but congrats. a lot of tuners say they have the highest reading dyno in the country.lol.

Just an fyi .. dynojet HP numbers you cant alter .. alot of other dyno's you can make a stock evo read 800whp ...

mark
turbotrix
Old Sep 12, 2007, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You just heated up a little. What ratio of coolant to H2O did you use?

Next time try straight distilled water with 8oz of Redline Water Wetter

If it gets hot again turn the heater on all the way up, the fan to high and even turn the compressor on to get the second fan spinning
Old Sep 12, 2007, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Car is doing great.

Made a sti owner with built bottom end, 9:1 compression pistons, cams, and gt30r a very sad dude

PM ME IF YOU WANT THE VID

Quick Reply: Evo IX, stock turbo, Aquamist HFS-5, 30 psi. Dyno Results.