Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo8 overheating!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo8 overheating!!!

Ok first a few things about my car, I have off-road pipe,3"cat-back, S-AFC, and a AVCR. I have had my car for three months now and have just over 7000miles on it. I have driven it hard before and yes I did my recomended breakin period. Now my problem is that today my car started overheating, and it only does it when I am running high boost which is 1.3bar. I know that is is summer and the temps do get quite high here in Houston, but today was actually cooler than most other days in which I have had no problems running around. Under normal driving I have no problems with it over heating and when it did overheat (allmost hit the red on hot) I quickly pulled over and turned the heater on full and the temps dropped quickly. I thought that it might have blown headgasket so I checked for any water mixed in with my oil or oil with the coolant and there is none. Please help I don't like have a cooling problems with my car.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you check the fan operation? It should of been going when you pulled over. Did the overheating happen in town driving or highway? Each one will have different causes...
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

the fans work and I was driving normal. It didn't start to overheat till I got on it in second and third gear. I have never before had any kind of problems with this car heating.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

I wonder if you're running a tad lean.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Hoping you didn't run lean and punch out the head gasket with detonation. Can't figure any other obvious causes. Need some old school 4G63 guys to chime in if there are any similiar situations for modded AWD DSMs...
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

I really doubt I ran lean, my S-AFC settings are on the rich side of what Buschur recomends, and I always run 93 octane gas. Now if the headgasket blew wouldn't my car eat coolant or mix the coolant with the oil..... frustrated,,,
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

You would either have steam/coolant coming out the exhaust, or coolant in the oil.

Not sure if the Evo is subject to air bubbles/cavitation in the water pump.

Problems like this are hard to long distance diagnose. Check your coolant levels, check the oil, look for any coolant leaks from hoses (loose or holed), make sure your belts aren't slipping, etc. Final check would be a compression test and coolant system pressurization test.
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Check and see if you are low on coolant in the reserve... If you are... you most likely have a blown head gasket.

bryan
Old Jul 5, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Just checked my coolant level hasn't changed, I also removed the radiator cap to check and see if I could see any bubbles which would be a dead give away of a blown head gasket and there were none....man this sux. All my belts and hoses are good... could it be posible that the thermostat has gone bad or the water pump or even the sending unit. Cause I would think that as hot as indicated I would have seen an increase in the coolant overflow tank, or atleast the hoses would have felt alot hotter than normal. Also what is the link for the Misubishi online manuals.

Thanx
Old Jul 5, 2003, 06:18 PM

clogged air sensor>? or clogged temperature sensor?
Old Jul 5, 2003, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Wouldn't think it could be a sticking thermostat, but stranger things have happened. No oil in coolant/coolant in oil, and normal coolant level are good signs, means that major mechanical failure is not likely to be the cause.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Try changing your coolant to fit the humid and hot H-town weather (and support your mods). Are you running too high of a boost with leaner than stock AF ratios? Bushur's settings maybe richer than other tuner's but you do have an EBC that further leans your AF ratio. Try upgrading to the RalliArt thermostat because of all your mods. I have the manuals on my PC but it is a pretty big file to e-mail.

STI
Old Jul 6, 2003, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

if you run 1.3 bar boost without changing the oil cooler, you run the risk of overheating. i have that problem when i run on the track for more than 20 mins.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
get the pwr radiator from vivid. Made my car run hella cooler just in the inside of the cab!
Old Jul 6, 2003, 07:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Try removing the thermostat and drive the car see if the problem goes away (It will take the car a while to warm up). If that ends the overheating replace your sticking thermostat. If it doesn't fix it, convert your car back to stock and take it back to the dealer...good luck

Quick Reply: Evo8 overheating!!!