Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

God%@*& p0300 - need vehicle specific advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am telling you what, I hate this ****in code. Mine is a huge pain in the ***. I am thinking about jsut calling buschur and tellingthem to set me up with AEM EMS.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

What is considered high knock? i have an airflow reader that tells you knock..and it gets up to 20...what ever that means.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

and where is the knock sensor? I'm going to try to disconnect it and see what happens.
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:20 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Knock (detonation) and the knock sensor appear to have nothing to do with P0300.

FYI
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Knock (detonation) and the knock sensor appear to have nothing to do with P0300.

FYI
but if it's retarding the timing, couldn't it cause a misfire?
Old Sep 7, 2007, 03:27 PM
EvoM Guru

The KS is not the problem. If you log your ECU, you should find that the P0300 is not a product of high knock counts.

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...e-detected.php
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

so it just went away by itself...lets see how long it takes to come back.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:04 PM
EvoM Guru

No, it didn't go away by itself. The Creader eliminates it and prevents it from reoccurring. In more than 2.5 years, it has not returned, simply because the Creader has been plugged in for that length of time.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ted I get the dreaded p0300 code all the time as well. I have researched and researched on this. Had dynoflash (reflash) for it still can't get rid of it.(plugs don't help, nothing.) Someone said that the dealer narrowed it down to something in the tranny causing the knock sensor to detect a phantom knock... then throw the code and misfire.

So the only thing you could do is rebuild the tranny or go with an AEM EMS..(which I was pretty tempted to do)

Anyhow I saw some people saying that the creader works. So I bought one off of ebay. However I was told to buy one that is similiar to this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Launc...QQcmdZViewItem

Not a small one like you show. So here's the deal, I only get the code on the interstate. So with the creader, when I get the code I manually scan and erase it. The code usually stays gone for a while but it still comes back. So with this one you are suggesting, does it clear the code automatically?? In the description, it says

The fault codes of the power train system will be automatically cleared after being displayed three times.

So does the misfire come back a few times then it gets cleared? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

i bet you it's your blow off valve i was getting the same code and it turn outr to be my forge blow off valve was leaking good luck,put on a new blow off no check engine ever since this wsa about 7 months ago....did not rad the whole thread waht plugs do u use

Last edited by bluebyu36; Sep 8, 2007 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
EvoM Guru

The BOV has nothing to do with it. I know, I've had three different ones since I first experienced the dreaded P0300 misfire.

Originally Posted by Gsxtremedsm
Someone said that the dealer narrowed it down to something in the tranny causing the knock sensor to detect a phantom knock... then throw the code and misfire.
If that were true, this would be evident in the log as a high knock count. Well, it isn't there, so if there aren't any logged knock counts, then it isn't the KS. The noise probably interferes with the PIP or CID sensors. Those sensors will have a direct affect on engine operation.

Originally Posted by Gsxtremedsm
However I was told to buy one that is similiar to this....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Launc...QQcmdZViewItem

Not a small one like you show.
The one I showed is the one I have, and it works. Like I said, unless something has changed with it, I see no reason why it wouldn't work as it has for me and others. As for the one you show, it may work as well, but I don't know because I don't have that one.

Again, you LEAVE IT PLUGGED IN. When you do this, no code ever gets flagged, no misfire ever occurs. You'll just need to remove it to diagnose another issue should one arise.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

alright well I ordered one. lets see what happens.

how will I know if something else goes wrong with the engine if this automatically clears the code?
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:10 PM
EvoM Guru

You won't, unless of course you unplug the Creader and let the ECU throw a code. It's a minor concession on convenience in exchange for ridding you of a crippling problem that would otherwise require $2k+ to remedy.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
...Strange, isn't it that the misfire is somehow a product of the code itself and not a mechanical issue.
If this is true, then thats good news for me I threw a p0300 after a timing belt and would misfire about every 10-15 minutes. I reset the ECU, changed the plugs and nothing since then. Weird....

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Sep 8, 2007 at 09:47 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2007, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

My car is stock and it throws this code (sometimes).
It does not drive any different, then I clear it and doesn't come back for a while. then out of the blue it happens again. Sometimes months or weeks and then a while back it was days. Now nothing again. The car seems to drive fine. I called mitsu they said it was a known problem and they would just clear it drive it a bit and see if it came back (wich I knew it wouldn't in just a little test drive). Mine seems to do it more at cooler temps outside. Sorry to ramble.

Quick Reply: God%@*& p0300 - need vehicle specific advice